What's new

Which boar to add to the collection?

I've also been pondering about the Semogue 620 or 610. And the larger 1800.
You can have my 620 if you can pry it from my cold dead hands. It's unique - good backbone with a really natural splay (unlike synthetics) and ultra soft tips.

The 1800 is not really larger - it's just a but taller. It's a great brush as well once broken in, but has a bit more of a whisk broom feel. Not in a bad or derogatory way at all, but whisk broom is the best way to describe it for me.

I think the 1800 has a better feeling handle than the 620, but the 620 has a cooler looking handle. Sad that two of my favorite boars have a gaudy dye job to make them look like badgers.

Right now I have the following, which have a nice spread of different sizes, backbone and softness:
Zenith 506A (27/55)
Omega 10083 (27/63)
Omega 10049 (26/62)
Omega 81230 (24/57)
Semogue S.O.C. (24/57)
Semogue 1305 (22/55)
Vulfix No. 28 (23/51)
Vulfix 2024A (23/48)

I have the itch to add one or two boars to the above. Suggestions to what I may be lacking, or just a great brush to compliment the above? I face lather so shorter handles preferred. I feel I've covered the "larger boars" with the 49 and 83 (nearly identical) though open to a Proraso Pro, so maybe something more medium, down to a 23mm knot?

IMO, your collection is missing an unbleached Zenith boar. The unbleached Zenith boar is completely different to the bleached one, and also different to the Omega unbleached boars.

If you like a scrubby boar that's efficient, the Zenith unbleached boars are really superb.

The one downside is no one seems to stock them :(

So my Zenith 506A is beached? Could be, though it's not banded. It's very firm.

I've been asking myself what size I prefer for the next boar. I used my Vulfix 2024A last shave and it was a little small at 23/48. I think I should be looking at a 24/25 knot, maybe even 26/27 though my 49 covers the "big boar" slot. Loft more like 52-56mm. My Omega 81230 is exactly in this range and it's nice, and so is my SOC.

So my Zenith 506A is beached? Could be, though it's not banded. It's very firm.

I've been asking myself what size I prefer for the next boar. I used my Vulfix 2024A last shave and it was a little small at 23/48. I think I should be looking at a 24/25 knot, maybe even 26/27 though my 49 covers the "big boar" slot. Loft more like 52-56mm. My Omega 81230 is exactly in this range and it's nice, and so is my SOC.

Yep. The 506A is bleached.

My Zenith unbleached is a 24mm/55mm, same as the Omega ones of a similar ilk. TVBshaving used to sell them, but it seems no EU sellers have them in stock now.

As far as I know a manufacturer either fully bleaches or doesn't. I don't think there are specific models. But with Zenith you can ask for ANYTHING and you will get it (10eur for bespoke). Since you're not in Italy you need to order customization via your dealer, in this case Jose @ Yourshaving. TVB doesn't seem to be in business anymore (at least the website isn't).

All Zenith knots are bleached, it says on the website and it's obvious when you compare them to Omega.

Pennelli per artisti | Palermo | Pennellificio Pandolfo

The listing isn't correct. I have bleached and unbleached Zeniths and they are very different.

3 Pigs.jpg

The bleached one is on the left, unbleached in the middle. I have the packaging somewhere with details of it as well and it used to be on the TVB website with details of their unbleached bristles.

The listing isn't correct. I have bleached and unbleached Zeniths and they are very different.

View attachment 1019136

The bleached one is on the left, unbleached in the middle. I have the packaging somewhere with details of it as well and it used to be on the TVB website with details of their unbleached bristles.

Yes, it's clear the middle one isn't bleached, thanks for the photo. I'm sure if @les24preludes asks for unbleached variant Zenith will happily provide. Only way to be sure is to specify what one wants.

Yes, it's clear the middle one isn't bleached, thanks for the photo. I'm sure if @les24preludes asks for unbleached variant Zenith will happily provide. Only way to be sure is to specify what one wants.

No problem. Zenith really don't help themselves with the issue tbh! It's a shame as they really make excellent brushes, but I wish they had better distribution channels.

Well, I gave in and bought a Proraso Pro at a keen price even though I have the 49. Curious what the lower loft brings. Still contemplating one more boar.....

The 011829 aka 011842 is quite expensive - as much as 3 cheaper Omegas. It looks a lot like the Proraso Pro with a posh handle, I don't know if that's a correct assumption?

I have indeed had my eye on the 10065, it's 23/55 not 25/55 as mentioned. The 10066 seems the same but with a solid resin handle. I've also been looking at the 10051 and 10290 with 48mm loft.

I've been considering the 11137 and 80005 with wooden handles but I read they are very like the Semogue SOC which I have.

I've also been pondering about the Semogue 620 or 610. And the larger 1800.

In terms of creating a new brush, I have a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo synth which could donate a nice handle for a boar. Plus an empty 28mm amber resin handle from DS.

...I have enjoyed using many boar brushes over the years - Zenith, Omega, Semogue, Mondial, Vulvix - amongst others. The Omega "Special" 011829 / 011842 really is worth paying for; it is a terrific brush that has a superb plush face feel like no other boar brush. The other outstanding boars that I would recommend and that have remained in my rotation include the Omega Prorasso, Omega Baby Pro, Goodfella Wild Hog (Omega pro49 set at 57mm instead of 63mm) and of course the 10066. The Semouges boars did not remain. The Semogue Taj Badger/Boar on the other hand is an exceptional brush and is one of the best shaving brushes available today.

Tell me about the 10066. Could you give me the weight of it? It looks like a 10065 with a more solid handle, but I don't know if that makes it a heavier handle.

...not sure of the exact weight other than it is light and feels insubstantial. It may or may not be different from the 10065 other than colour although some vendors quote the knot of the 10066 as 24mm and the 10065 as 23mm. Regardless it is a slow burner but top performer none the less. It does not have the backbone of the baby pro or prorasso but is still a wonderful inexpensive boar brush. Plenty of love on all the forums for the 10066 and well deserved I would say...

I prefer boars too, and have a good selection (I only face lather).... the Proraso boar brush is one of m favourite knots, though I am not wild about the handle. as you say, comparable to the omega 10083 and 10049, but I find that the proraso knot is slightly denser, and with a bit more backbone. It is simply a superb knot, at the price, you can hardly go wrong getting one.
Another favourite of mine is the Omega 10029 "baby Pro" ... as you say, you are well stocked for large brushes. The baby Pro is in the smaller department, I think has a 24 mm knot, 46 mm loft, loads of backbone (give it some time to break in). It is my favourite travel brush, and overall one of my favourite brushes:
Omega Model 10029 Chrome Plastic Handle Boar Shaving Brush | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/omega-10029-boar-shaving-brush-chrome-plastic-handle/

Top Bottom