What's new

Which Bay Rum is most Piratey?

$pirates-D8C_1912s.jpg

Most piratey??!!
Arrggh.

In the Old World, pirates never shaved (they always had scruffy beards or shadows!) so how would they know anything about aftershaves??

And the New World pirates, well, are generally too Young to Shave!!

Anyway, here are my personal ratings on a very limited use of Bay Rums...

Captains' Bay Rum....from decant sample, very nice fragrance, nice 'burn', but gone almost instantly, less than 10 minutes.
Kramperts Bay Rum...also a nice fragrance, not quite as 'rich' perhaps as Captains, with nice moisturizing feel. Also, dissipates in about 10 minutes.
Ogallala Bay Rum with Sandalwood...more complex, sweeter fragrance, obviously not a 'pure' bay rum. Nice moisturizing property. But, this lasts well over 2 hours!
I'd have to say that the Ogallala would be my 'pick' if I could only have one of these bay rums with me on the pirate ship!!

I like Pinaud's VIBR best because it smells like pumpkin pie and all women hate it---must be manly. Also have used others and like most of them.

How does that Stephan stuff smell, btw? Are all their aftershaves good?

The bay rum is soothing and mild, a kinder, gentler version of Pinaud's or Master's BR.

The only other Stephan's I've tried is the 302 Astringent Lotion, which is also very soothing, and an old-fashioned barber shop smell if ever there was one. The scent is long-lasting, too.

Spicy Bay Rum is more pirate-like in my mind...
Burt' Bees would be my first choice (some NOS still available on Amazon)
Second choice Aubrey Organics Spice - not as good as Burt's Bees but, it's piratey

My favorite bay rum scent is Bigelow. For most Piratey, PVIBR.

BTW, did you hear about the Pirate corn on sale? It was a buck an ear.

Maybe Pyrate cove?

http://www.pyratecovesoapworks.com

I haven't tried it but it is cheap.
I have tried Ogallala, Captains Choice, and Bootleggers. Ogallala lasts the longest on me might be great for a long journey. But it smells a little "Christmas-y"

Pyrate cove is a good solid performer and has a strong "piratey smell". I have the bay rhum and lime and like it quite a bit. At first I thought it was too strong, but it has grown on me.

Bacardi White Rum .1 pint. Half shot on the face half down the hill. :001_rolle. Pure organic.No fancy coloring or nerdy chemicals.Smells and tastes good. Save cloves for Djarum cigarettes.

Last edited:
Cat O' Nine Tails from the Captain. What else? I still remember the sting of my mom's Cat O' Nine Tails when I was a young lad and got caught doing something I shouda not been doing.

Cat O' Nine Tails from the Captain. What else? I still remember the sting of my mom's Cat O' Nine Tails when I was a young lad and got caught doing something I shouda not been doing.

'Let the Cat out of the bag...'

By Jonathan Hopkins

Flogging - the very word conjures images of backs scarred for life by the instrument of this largely military form of torture - the cat o’ nine tails.

The British army and navy of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries comprised huge numbers of ‘volunteers’. Whether these men took ‘the King’s shilling’, were made offers they could not refuse by magistrates or were legally ‘impressed’ to serve by navy shore-parties, many proved unsuited to military life and its harsh discipline. Theft and insubordination, even violence and desertion, were commonplace.

To maintain order a simple to administer punishment was needed, the severity of which could be varied to fit the crime. Not only that but it had to be enough of a deterrent to plant fear in the hearts of potential offenders. Flogging was such a punishment. And the preferred instrument of martial law was the Cat O’ Nine Tails.

Widely used by the end of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century, the cat was a whip made from heavy cable (rope). A four-foot length was split into its three component strands to produce a two-and-a-half foot tail, each strand being separated again into three to produce the requisite nine ‘tails’. These were knotted at the free ends to prevent fraying and the handle part then back-spliced both to provide a good handgrip and stop it unravelling, though in later examples the nine lashes were bound to wooden handles. Once made the cat was stored in a canvas or baize bag ready for use, from whence the title of this post comes.

Love the Co9T BR. It's a nice burn/warming sensation. I've described it as putting my face under a heat lamp for 30 seconds. Tops off my shave most mornings. When I put it on I do sound off "Aaaarrrrrrrrggggggg" from time to time. Does that count as piratey?

I actually love the smell of captain Morgan rum, so I always think of a "pirate smell" as vanilla, pepper, orange, cinnamon and well, just spice!

On the other hand, just rub some onions under your arm during a hot day and drink half of a bottle, and your there!

Last edited:
I've tried a lot of them as listed above... but not all. I'm going to say my answer to the OP question is the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. I think it's the only one strong enough to mask... "out at sea" smells. LOL! My favorite is Ogallala Sandalwood however, I think it's too "Designer" to smell piratey. In my opinion, Piratey would be whatever spices and fruits were available in the Carribean and rum. I think Clubman VIBR just about covers that.

My favorite bay rum scent is Bigelow. For most Piratey, PVIBR.

BTW, did you hear about the Pirate corn on sale? It was a buck an ear.

LOL! That reminded me of a joke my dad use to tell me as a kid... Dad: "Hey, where are the buccaneers?" Me: "Ahmmm... I don't know. Where?!" Dad: " On your buccanhead!!!"

Top Bottom