What's new

Where will it all end?

Pull up a chair and sit a while...I need to hear your thoughts on something important. Lately, I have been pondering what the future holds for traditional wet shaving. We are witnessing a welcome growth in boutique soap makers, and DE and SE razor start-ups edging their way back into the hearts and souls of wet-shavers who are turning away from carts and canned goo.

Are there limits to this growth? Will carts fall into the background as a new generation discovers traditional wet-shaving? Will DE and SE razors slowly work their way back to prominence? When I hear of Gillette reintroducing the Tech I wonder if they are just dipping their toe into the traditional DE marketplace, or are they reading the tea leaves and sensing a trend. Are they planning the beginning of a re-entry into the traditional marketplace? Will the boundaries be redrawn with a new balance among carts and DEs sharing the marketplace like cassettes, CDs and vinyl. I don't see straight razor going mainstream...this will likely remain on the margins.

What do you think?

Could be, but I think it is too soon to tell. The environmental impact of carts is a concern to some and may drive more people to DE or straight razor shaving. Cost is the factor that drove me to it. Now my kids and wife are into it too, mainly due to the cost of cartridges.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did notice Walmart started picking up more wet shaving supplies recently, in store. Tapping into that market, our market. I don't know about moving to the forefront, but rest assured as Amazon puts pressure on every other retailer to capitalize on every opportunity, local offerings will improve.

And as the retail and manufacturing markets become more competitive, Gillette will take any opportunity to earn additional profit and increase their market share. I'm surprised they haven't retaken control of their TTO and Tech designs from Chinese producers already. Maybe they didn't bother because they would have likely used the same producers to make their own products. I'd hope if they start the line back up, they make it like they used to; differentiate from the chincy made in China stuff...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think we will see Gillette wade into the shallow end of the pool and stand there awhile. Stick with the Tech for a bit, then move to a TTO after profits trickle in. But I doubt they will ever do another adjustable. And I'd bet a dollar against a donut it'll all be made in China.

I think we will see Gillette wade into the shallow end of the pool and stand there awhile. Stick with the Tech for a bit, then move to a TTO after profits trickle in. But I doubt they will ever do another adjustable. And I'd bet a dollar against a donut it'll all be made in China.

Hey, it could be made in India... or Pakistan... or good ol' Mexico!

Mainly was just meaning I hope for our sakes that they tool up for heavier gage material, apply thicker surface coatings, make more substantial handles, and who knows, maybe leverage their economies of scale to offer some really nice products that compete with say ATT and Rockwell, only at really nice prices?

Personally I am hoping it gets back to where a quality brand new straight razor is about $3.00 and Williams costs 10 cents, but of course thats just me hoping for the impossible. A new generation of quality affordable adjuststable TTOs would be interesting, but not likely either. Even with the resurgence in traditional shaving I still feel like the industry is headed for a solar powered vibrating 32 blade cartridge razor with 5G cell service and WiFi and tofu based canned goo. And to top it all off the cartridges alone will probably cost $137 apiece.

I believe the above posts say it simply...... P&G sees a trend and wants to test the waters and see if they can prifit from it. Yes, you know the razors will say Made in China.

FarmerTan

Hey, it could be made in India... or Pakistan... or good ol' Mexico!

Mainly was just meaning I hope for our sakes that they tool up for heavier gage material, apply thicker surface coatings, make more substantial handles, and who knows, maybe leverage their economies of scale to offer some really nice products that compete with say ATT and Rockwell, only at really nice prices?
It's funny: I type so slow I was writing my post at the same time you were! I do hope Gillette would jump in with both feet and make a new DE razor right here in 'Murica....but I won't hold my breath. But how cool would that be? Maybe the man in the White House could give 'em a tax break, lol.

I actually think the market for more classic wet shaving will continue to grow, albeit slowly. The tipping point is both the initial cost which many people are unable to comprehend how they can benefit financially if the razor they have to buy costs so much more than a cart razor. In addition, there is the time factor. To shave this way it takes a fair amount of practice to be able to fly through a shave and end up with a BBS or DFS. And the way our American society is going, too many people are unwilling to take the time necessary to learn something like shaving. And while we are talking about who are making double edge razors with much of the talk surrounding Gillette/P&G, we are forgetting the many other makers who sell reasonably priced razors already such as Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Muhle and the list is quite long. The days of Gillette having a monopoly are gone. The world is a very different place now than it was during the early to mid 1900s. So many more options to get what you want. I see wet shaving continuing to gain more participants over time but it won't be a dramatic surge that becomes a financial windfall for those "first to the starting line". That starting line has already come and gone. We are now in the growth phase. Slow and steady wins the race.

It's funny: I type so slow I was writing my post at the same time you were! I do hope Gillette would jump in with both feet and make a new DE razor right here in 'Murica....but I won't hold my breath. But how cool would that be? Maybe the man in the White House could give 'em a tax break, lol.

He may not give them a break, but he may put a trade barrier on China before its over... lol That'd level the playing field a bit.

I don't know about "testing," directors and officers are pretty savvy at what they do. And in business IME, you run in head first before you have the capability to even do what you say your going to do. Then six months after the line launches, you figure out how you're going to make it happen. If they're going to venture into the market, they intend to make a profit, and they have good reason to believe they will, whether its correct or not.

If they're doing it, they'll make a go of it for sure.

How about a 7 blade adjustable cart razor. Only want to use two blades? Dial it in. Or go for the full Monte :)

Seriously I have no idea where we will be 25 or 50 years from now shaving wise but I don't believe DE will threaten the cartridge systems. They are too easy, too convenient, provide a "thought free" shave, and when it comes to chores people don't look forward to (not us obviously), convenience is king.

And actually, you can bet it's all these kickstarters and ATT and iKon and the like that are drawing them into the market. Where there's a substantial profit to be made, firms will move into the market until they collectively soak up all that extra money being thrown around. It's a good thing. Competition will bring you and me lower prices. That $200 razor today may only be $140 in a few years.

FarmerTan

How about a 7 blade adjustable cart razor. Only want to use two blades? Dial it in. Or go for the full Monte :)

Seriously I have no idea where we will be 25 or 50 years from now shaving wise but I don't believe DE will threaten the cartridge systems. They are too easy, too convenient, provide a "thought free" shave, and when it comes to chores people don't look forward to (not us obviously), convenience is king.
Party pooper! You are more than likely 100% correct there speedy.

FarmerTan

Hehe, I do hope I'm wrong Dave.
Think of you my friend every time I change my blade! You have so far saved me from wasting LOTS of cash on blades, as those GSB blades you so generously PIF'd me have beaten hands down all contenders sir. Thanks again!

I've got two sons in their 20s. They're disgusted by both the cost and environmental impact of multi-blade carts (and handles). When I started this journey, I smiled at them and said, "Boys, do I have a deal for you." Neither of them has used a cart in a couple of years, and I doubt they ever will. Especially given how much gear they will inherit from me and, until then, how cheap blades and soap are.

FarmerTan

I've got two sons in their 20s. They're disgusted by both the cost and environmental impact of multi-blade carts (and handles). When I started this journey, I smiled at them and said, "Boys, do I have a deal for you." Neither of them has used a cart in a couple of years, and I doubt they ever will. Especially given how much gear they will inherit from me and, until then, how cheap blades and soap are.
Excellent point! So there, @Highspeedlane !

Are there limits to this growth? - Yes

Will carts fall into the background as a new generation discovers traditional wet-shaving? - No

Will DE and SE razors slowly work their way back to prominence? - No

When I hear of Gillette reintroducing the Tech I wonder if they are just dipping their toe into the traditional DE marketplace, or are they reading the tea leaves and sensing a trend. Are they planning the beginning of a re-entry into the traditional marketplace? - No

Will the boundaries be redrawn with a new balance among carts and DEs sharing the marketplace like cassettes, CDs and vinyl. - No

I don't see straight razor going mainstream...this will likely remain on the margins. - Agree

DE shaving is too time consuming and uses more tools than cart shaving. It is never coming back bigger than a cult.

DE shaving is too time consuming and uses more tools than cart shaving. It is never coming back bigger than a cult.

You know, I did my time in the army on permanent shaving profile bc I had no idea that DE was a thing. It wasn't on my radar for about 15 years of shaving. And I paid for it in blood, for sure.

Now I can gleefully shave every day to a baby smooth face. It's a shame if you're right. I wish I knew how to put the word out to others like me.

Seeing the fashion resurgence of the full beard the last few years, I have to think more than a few of those guys would like to shave but don't enjoy it or can't afford it. Heaven knows a lot of them don't have the face for a beard...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

This really is a great topic for discussion. As I read through the points here, I can't help but think of another industry where many of the same discussions were had not too long ago....craft beer. Year after year, the numbers continue to grow. Per an article I perused in Time's Money section, in the early 80's there were less than 100 breweries in operation in the U.S. As of the end of 2016 there were just over 5000. Now, that doesn't mean that every single brewery will be successful and sustainable, as some have just flooded the market to pursue a dream and hopefully make a few bucks. And then there are the big boys, the macros, that hold the majority of the market share. They won't be going anywhere, but they've also taken notice. Will the bubble burst eventually? Probably. But the big boys are nervous enough where they've felt the need to acquire some of the smaller players and diversify their product line. The small guys aren't going to fade away either, though, as they've found ways to bring great stuff to market while avoiding the macro distribution chain completely.

What does this have to do with shaving? I often think of some of these artisans...the razor, soap, splash and brush makers, in the same way I think of the craft beer market. Will they, collectively, ever overtake the likes of Gillette and Schick? Probably not. People will always shave with Gillette just like people will continue to drink Bud/Miller/Coors, and that could be for any number of reasons. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for the artisans to become successful and sustainable, regardless of what the growth rate is. I'm sure we'll see a point where there is some market saturation, but that also tells us that there's a soap/splash/razor out there to suit just about anyone.

I think I got a little off track because the OP was comparing DE/SE to cartridges, but I wanted to mention the other facets of wet shaving because I think they play an important role in how people decide to shave, too.

Top Bottom