What's new

Where to start with Rockwell 6c

My Rockwell 6c came in the mail today so I’m going to try it out tonight. What’s a good plate for starting out? I’m a newbie with 2 or 3 weeks of DE shaving experience, using a Wilkinson Sword TTO.

My skin is pretty sensitive especially on my neck, but my DE technique could probably still use some work.

Start on plate 3 and work up or down from there? I have 48 hours bears growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The razor is very user friendly and it's very hard to cut yourself so don't be scared of the fact that it has 6 settings. I'd suggest you to start with 3, but if you are really afraid you can start with 1 instead. Just remember that the number you want to use must be the opposite side and put the blade on it. Or to put it more simple - if you want to use setting 1, you have to put the blade on setting 2 and setting 1 must be on the bottom where the handle touches it.

Start on a low setting, like #2. If you find that is waaay to mild after a few strokes you can easily change to #3 or #4 during your first pass. It'll only take 15 seconds to change. I usually change plates between my first (WTG) pass and the and the sequential passes.

And don't worry, you'll be fine. It's not rocket science. Congratulations on your new razor! 👍

I use plate 3 with new sharp blades and switch to plate 4 one the edge is knocked down a little. When the blade starts getting rough again, I will switch back to plate 3. Just go slow and let the weight of the razor do the cutting.

My Rockwell 6c came in the mail today so I’m going to try it out tonight. What’s a good plate for starting out? I’m a newbie with 2 or 3 weeks of DE shaving experience, using a Wilkinson Sword TTO.

My skin is pretty sensitive especially on my neck, but my DE technique could probably still use some work.

Start on plate 3 and work up or down from there? I have 48 hours bears growth.

I experienced wilkinson TTO and I still own one.
Later I bought an 6C so I am experienced with both Razors. I may say, "Rockwell 6C's Plate #3 = Wilkinson TTO".
Start with with plate #3 after a few weeks you'll get confident and step up to plate #4 and this will continue.

Wilkinson's barberpole long handle TTO's weight is similar to Rockwell 6C, so you will feel very familiar. Further more 6C is very user friendly and forgiving Razor. Great choice !!! Enjoy..

Finished my shave and I have to say it’s absolute my best DE shave by a long way!

Not sure if it was the new razor or new soap (Highland Springs Soap Co unscented, I was using Proraso White before that), but it’s a DFS with no irritation.

I started on plate 3 and moved up to plate 4 after a couple strokes. One pass WTG then another pass XTG.

Looking forward to my next shave. Thanks to everyone for the great advice on this forum.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would start at the lowest setting and move up from there. Have some fun learning all the nuances of the razor.

I usually start an adjustable near the mid-range.

Then you can easily go up or down depending on your preferences.

Finished my shave and I have to say it’s absolute my best DE shave by a long way!

Not sure if it was the new razor or new soap (Highland Springs Soap Co unscented, I was using Proraso White before that), but it’s a DFS with no irritation.

I started on plate 3 and moved up to plate 4 after a couple strokes. One pass WTG then another pass XTG.

Looking forward to my next shave. Thanks to everyone for the great advice on this forum.

Nice! This razor has been a solid performer for me as well. I usually use plate 4 to start and then flip it over to plate 2 for XTG and ATG. It's pretty hard to cut yourself on plate 2. Might give the Highland Springs Soap a try, Proraso White has been my go-to for a while but if the Highland Springs worked for you with the 6C, it might be worth a go.

Enjoy the razor!

I started shaving with the Rockwell 6S and it is a great razor. If you are doing well with the R4 plate then you can do what many of us do. Do the first WTG pass on R4 and possibly even the XTG pass on R4 but for the ATG pass flip the plate so you using the R2 plate while going against the grain. It's the ATG pass that seems to cause irritation for most people.

Top Bottom