What's new

Where To Buy Locally?

I have to think our dads and grandfathers didn't order their DE razors from Amazon, like I'm considering doing. You've seen that quote from Abraham Lincoln about not believing the source of every quote on the Internet, right?

Other than the (in my opinion) very overpriced "The Art of Shaving" store (which I do have a location of locally), is there nowhere I can buy a safety razor in a store, where I can see and touch it before committing? I'm in the Oklahoma City metro area, though it's more of a general question...I know these things had to be sold in stores at some point.

I'm interested in the lower end of the price spectrum, I only want a new razor, and I don't plan to be a collector. I just want this most wonderful of all shave experiences (having not experienced it, I'm going on what others say), but I don't want to be a fanatic about it (no offense to those who are...I'm just a fanatic about other things).

I've found a Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Razor on Amazon for $33. But with all the talk of needing to consider weight, balance, handle length, etc., it'd sure be nice to be able to handle one before I buy it.

Also, if I understand open- vs. closed-comb correctly (which is a huge "if"), as a beginner, I would want closed, correct? Does anyone know about that Merkur model, which it is?

Welcome to B&B! Someone local may speak up to local alternatives for you. I'm not from that area, so I don't know what's available. However, it is going to be quite unlikely that anyone will be carrying any volume of DE gear in a local store (sans the mentioned AOS..and that's limited as well). There's just no market for a brick and morter to stock such things.

That said, looking through reviews of models you're interested in here at B&B is a great place to start, and you've already asked specifically about the Merkur 180 (it's a safety bar razor, not an open comb). Some that have used that I'm sure will speak up about it. You might considering opening other threads with the topic mentioning the specific razor to get attention from current owners.

With regard to buying over the Internet - yes it is a bit of bummer not being able touch something. However, once you been here at B&B for a while, you can use the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to sell things. Generally speaking, you'll be able to sell something you don't like there (or ebay, or where ever), then move on to something that you do. The Merkur 180 is probably a fine place to start. I believe it has the same head as the 34C, which is a very popular model, and a good one for beginners (somewhat forgiving). If you like a long handle on your razors, I don't think you'll go wrong with the 180. I say just buy it, and see how you like DE shaving, then sell and move on to something else if you feel like you want a razor with different characteristics.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Top Bottom