What's new

Where to begin?

There are any number of good ways to start, and you've picked one. Mind you, you could have bought three Pilot FP-78Gs with different nib sizes for the same price as (should have said less than) the TWSBI Mini, of course, but the Mini will hold more ink, and it's certainly a more attractive pen. By the way, what ink or inks did you get?

And I may keep an eye out for the Pilot 78G but since it's an out-of-production pen (am I wrong in this) I opted for what was readily available without going the auction route. I simply haven't looked at it yet despite the advice of another poster above. I'm not necessarily worried about what I can get more-for-less just yet. I'm dancing a line between appeal and expediency at the moment.

Um, inks? :lol: I went with the Lamy Blue-Black cartridges. In my initial post I indicated a desire for initial expediency to get going. I'm aware that some inks aren't compatible with some pens and figured that a Lamy cartridge for a Lamy pen shouldn't pose any problems initially.

As for the Mini. I don't have any inks on the way yet, mostly because of compatibility concerns and my own ignorance on this matter. I need to do a little more research here. I began using the Uniball Signo (207?) a year ago because my business keeps them in stock for our use. I discovered that I like the blue-black and red-black inks that some of these come with, they're just appealing to me. Having said this, I'm color-challenged so a lot of the shade variations are lost on me. I'm mostly in a utility mode with inks and paper so they aren't figuring heavily in my decisions just yet. My modus operandi at the moment is to get the pens, discover what I like, and then work on an ink/paper combination that will work with that (those?) pens. If my path on this is askew please let me know.

I've never seen the Vista except in pictures, but I always thought it was basically just a demonstrator version of the Safari (which I do have), same grip. Was I wrong about that? Wouldn't be the first time.

I think you're correct in the similar handle design, having gone back and looked at the pics this afternoon, so it seems that I'm to decide on whether or not I'm really sold, on the triangular grip design, in the near future. I think I simply overlooked the grip design because of the clear plastic. I know that with my use of various writing implements with triangular grips in the past I hadn't been sold on that as a particular reason for purchasing or staying with a specific implement. Those other implements, had rounded tips so holding it in a certain aspect to the paper didn't matter as much. I believe that in one post I read it was mentioned that the nib-to-paper aspect relationship mattered more with the FP and that the grip on the Safari helped with learning this relationship. I guess the bottom line is that I'll find out for myself sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up, at least I won't be surprised (disappointed?) when I open the package.

Don't forget that paper will also affect your performance. The Pilot Varsity does have a fairly broad nib for a medium, but the wrong paper can make the ink spread out more than it has to. My finest nib is an XXF on an old Parker 51, which leaves a very fine line on decent paper, but on cheap copy paper it can spread out until it's half way between fine and medium. Since you've opened yourself to enabling, I'm sure we'll all be ready with paper suggestions presently.

Um, paper? :lol: I'm open to your enabling. :thumbup1: I did pick up a B&B A6 Notebook from West Coast Shaving, it arrived today. Beyond that I'm simply using your run-of-the-mill legal pad. If there's an ink that pairs well with the B&B Notebook I'm open to suggestions, the same goes with the legal pad. It may be that I setup the Lamy for the legal pad and the Mini for the B&B Notebook. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

For good or ill, the pen selections I've made will eliminate a lot of options and give me something concrete to work with in the near term.

I appreciate your comments, Slivovitz, thank you.

For good or ill, the pen selections I've made will eliminate a lot of options and give me something concrete to work with in the near term.

I appreciate your comments, Slivovitz, thank you.

+1

At some point the decisions on pens, razors, inks or whatever etc MUST be made to move on otherwise, analysis paralysis sets in :thumbup1:

Gene

As for the Mini. I don't have any inks on the way yet, mostly because of compatibility concerns and my own ignorance on this matter. I need to do a little more research here. I began using the Uniball Signo (207?) a year ago because my business keeps them in stock for our use. I discovered that I like the blue-black and red-black inks that some of these come with, they're just appealing to me. Having said this, I'm color-challenged so a lot of the shade variations are lost on me. I'm mostly in a utility mode with inks and paper so they aren't figuring heavily in my decisions just yet. My modus operandi at the moment is to get the pens, discover what I like, and then work on an ink/paper combination that will work with that (those?) pens. If my path on this is askew please let me know.

Pretty much anything will play nice with the Mini, though some may play nicer than others. I'd avoid any iron gall inks as well as J Herbin Rouge Hematite till you get the hang of cleaning them out as they can be a bit more difficult to clean out thoroughly. I've run just about every brand of ink through my mini with no issues, so find a few colors you like and have at it.

Samples would probably be a good place to start until you find out which colors you'd like in bulk. If you get the itch and don't want to wait for samples, you might be able to find a bottle of Parker in blue or black from an office supply store. No India or dip pen ink, though.

Check out the Swab Shop section of Goulet's website. That'll give you a pretty good idea of what you'd like to try.

Pretty much anything will play nice with the Mini, though some may play nicer than others. I'd avoid any iron gall inks as well as J Herbin Rouge Hematite till you get the hang of cleaning them out as they can be a bit more difficult to clean out thoroughly. I've run just about every brand of ink through my mini with no issues, so find a few colors you like and have at it.

Samples would probably be a good place to start until you find out which colors you'd like in bulk. If you get the itch and don't want to wait for samples, you might be able to find a bottle of Parker in blue or black from an office supply store. No India or dip pen ink, though.

Check out the Swab Shop section of Goulet's website. That'll give you a pretty good idea of what you'd like to try.

Excellent, thank you!

Top Bottom