What's new

Where to begin?

I've been thinking about getting a FP for a week or so and after surfing the NIB for a bit it seems that a good starting point may be with a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari. To satisfy my initial curiosity I picked up a 3-pack of the Pilot Varsity last night just to mess around.

Here are my initial impressions.

1)I think the nib on the Varsity is a bit wider than I may care to have.
2) Since I don't write by hand much, I find that the ink flow is a bit more than I'd like and that if I pause, even momentarily, the ink bleeds through the sheet from a standard legal pad.

Here's what I think I'd like in my first fountain pen.

1) Something with a smaller nib than the Varsity, maybe an EF or an F, but definitely something that will accept different size nibs so I can experiment without buy new pens. Since I don't know the size of the nib on the Varsity I don't really have a good starting reference point. I'm assuming that the Varsity is either an M or B.
2) For initial use I'm looking for something to use daily in note taking with your generic garden variety note pad.
3) I think I'd like to begin simply so a cartridge system is okay with me. This will likely change as I progress so something that will easily take a converter may be preferable.
4) I like the idea of the TWSBI because it can be disassembled completely, but I understand it may not have many nib options in the US. I don't think that it will take cartridges so this may be more of a second-pen option.
5) I don't want anything with a huge barrel since my hands are becoming arthritic, but I don't like terribly skinny pens either.

Will either the PM or the Safari meet these conditions or is there a better option. I'm also good with buying one of each given their price point.

Any thoughts or recommendations for me?

$run-away-monty-python-gif1.jpg

What Tony said :), but if you're going to stay, You can get the metro and a pilot 78g ( off of the bay for about $10 ) in a fine NIB and swap the barrel and cap depending on which Nib you want to use that day. Good thing is, you can get a 78g in broad as well if you want to experiment with a wider line.

What Tony said :), but if you're going to stay, You can get the metro and a pilot 78g ( off of the bay for about $10 ) in a fine NIB and swap the barrel and cap depending on which Nib you want to use that day. Good thing is, you can get a 78g in broad as well if you want to experiment with a wider line.

+1 These are great pens, but I prefer the Lamy Safaris, overall. You can't go wrong with either. Good luck and wait until you get an older Pelikan! :thumbup:

Fountain pens are addictive. In December 2012, I had two, I now have 13. That doesn't count technical pens or ballpoints or mechanical pencils. Since 1/1/2014:
-1 Steadtler Mars 700 technical pen (I now have 2 of these. A 3x0/.1 mm and a 4x0/.18 mm)
-Pelikan M150 fp
-Parker 45 Flighter bp/mp set
-Pilot Metropolitan fp
-Sheaffer Sentinal bp (2-stainless/1 silver and 1 gold)
-Parker 45 burgundy fp
-Pelikan M205 black fp
-Parker IM Premium Twin Metal Chiseled fp

Gave away a Jinhao 159 through a PIF on FPN. Wasn't my thing. To heavy.

Lost a friend - a red marbled Waterman Phileas with fine nib. Replacing one of these pens is ridiculous. $150-$200 for a pen that I paid about $50 for in the late 1990's. So I didn't. They are good but not 3-4x MSRP good.

Having recently gotten into FPs myself, I love my Metro, but don't have any experience with a Safari. Goulet carries the new Metro with a Fine nib, although I think my Medium is relatively fine.
You'll get used to lifting your hand with some use, so don't sweat that too much.

+1 These are great pens, but I prefer the Lamy Safaris, overall. You can't go wrong with either. Good luck and wait until you get an older Pelikan! :thumbup:

What am I going to do with an octagenarian fish swallower? :tongue_sm

Lost a friend - a red marbled Waterman Phileas with fine nib. Replacing one of these pens is ridiculous. $150-$200 for a pen that I paid about $50 for in the late 1990's. So I didn't. They are good but not 3-4x MSRP good.

I want to feel bad for you, but I have no idea what you're talking about; although, I think I've heard of Waterman before. :tongue_sm I do understand where you're coming from though. :thumbup1:

I'm fairly new to fountain pens as well. I also picked up a Pilot varsity 3 pack as well as Pilot Petit and Platinum Preppy disposables. The Varsity is by far the widest nib and I get the feeling that the Pilot Varsity medium nib is unusably wide for a Japanese nib. I purchased a Pilot Metropolitan in fine and it is quite fine compared to the Varsity medium and I may also pick up a Metropolitan in medium. You could buy A Lamy and buy and extra nib, but am guessing because they are western nibs you might want fine and extra fine.

best of luck,

moe

One of each. To be honest, you'll eventually get both anyway.

In terms of "which one first?", get both at the same time. :lol:

FAILED !!!

One of each. To be honest, you'll eventually get both anyway.

In terms of "which one first?", get both at the same time. :lol:

Or neither, in which case you go with two others. :lol: I have a Lamy Vista and a TWSBI Mini on the way from Goulet Pens, extra nibs for each.

I decided against the Pilot, I think because I don't want to buy a separate pen for each nib size. I like the idea of a "system" where you have multiple nibs for a single pen. We'll see how long that lasts. I suspect that once I discover 'my' nib then I can PIF or B/S/T the others. We'll see. Also, I'm just not sold on the triangular grip of the Safari, maybe someday.

Any thoughts/comments either pro/con on my selection; aside from the fact that I'm an emotive/impusle buyer and rationality has nothing to do with this?

...I have a Lamy Vista and a TWSBI Mini on the way from Goulet Pens, extra nibs for each.

I decided against the Pilot, I think because I don't want to buy a separate pen for each nib size. I like the idea of a "system" where you have multiple nibs for a single pen. We'll see how long that lasts. I suspect that once I discover 'my' nib then I can PIF or B/S/T the others. We'll see. Also, I'm just not sold on the triangular grip of the Safari, maybe someday.

Any thoughts/comments either pro/con on my selection; aside from the fact that I'm an emotive/impusle buyer and rationality has nothing to do with this?

There are any number of good ways to start, and you've picked one. Mind you, you could have bought three Pilot FP-78Gs with different nib sizes for the same price as (should have said less than) the TWSBI Mini, of course, but the Mini will hold more ink, and it's certainly a more attractive pen. By the way, what ink or inks did you get?

I've never seen the Vista except in pictures, but I always thought it was basically just a demonstrator version of the Safari (which I do have), same grip. Was I wrong about that? Wouldn't be the first time.

Don't forget that paper will also affect your performance. The Pilot Varsity does have a fairly broad nib for a medium, but the wrong paper can make the ink spread out more than it has to. My finest nib is an XXF on an old Parker 51, which leaves a very fine line on decent paper, but on cheap copy paper it can spread out until it's half way between fine and medium. Since you've opened yourself to enabling, I'm sure we'll all be ready with paper suggestions presently.

Last edited:
I'm an emotive/impulse buyer and rationality has nothing to do with this

That's probably the last thing I would ever, ever want to admit on this bulletin board. :lol:

I think you did pretty well. TWSBI nibs seem to be crazy wide for narrow nibs, relative to what you may be expecting (my EF was more like F to M), but it is a good compact pen. The Vista is very similar to the Al-Star or the Safari, I can't remember which.

Top Bottom