What's new

Where do folks go...

in person to pick up a vintage Gillette? Aside from estate sales, I'm curious where people have had luck. General advice is appreciated but if anyone knows of a place in the NYC area I'd be much obliged. Thanks.

In my experience, the more the shop looks like a "dive" the better the odds of finding razors. However, if you enter a high end shop don't expect much. :frown:

and car boot sales

but a lot of places have really crazy prices, so be aware that they might have a rusty tech for like $30

I will be the first to suggest our own BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) forum here on the B&B. Most who sell there are quite reasonable folks looking to sell items they don't use anymore, others have bought something they don't like and are looking to recoup some of their losses. There are also a few folks who sell acquired razors that they have personally restored for a small markup. Overall, the prices on the BST are generally far more reasonable than most razors that sell on eBay.

This being said, I have gotten most of my razors from small "divey" (as someone truthfully stated) thrift stores I have seen while traveling for work.

I agree with some of the other posters that your chances of finding a good razor tend to be inversely proportional to the quality of the building. ;-)

Wichita, KS here. In the last couple weeks I have found a 40's Superspeed, a NEW and a 24-25 Ever-Ready GEM (all in cases) at some little hole in the wall antique store for about six bucks a piece. I still need to go back there because they had some cool fountain pens and some other cool little things.

Before i found this place I would hit up this higher-end place about once every two weeks and only ever found a Slim Adjustable for my trouble (which I am grateful for, but it clearly supports my theorem above).

Before i found this place I would hit up this higher-end place about once every two weeks and only ever found a Slim Adjustable for my trouble (which I am grateful for, but it clearly supports my theorem above).

I checked a high end antique store by my house a few months back and they had jack squat for shaving goodies. so yes, I agree with the theory that the nicer the building the less likely you'll find something worth buying. all the safety razors I acquired from dumpy looking antique stores had them dirt cheap.

Have to agree with the above: my best finds have been at antique stores out in the middle of nowhere. :tongue_sm

Also, the antique store that looked to have just a ton of junk had at least a dozen razors for sale!! (unfortunately, it is no longer open).

Last, if you enter a antique store that looks like a dive, it never hurts to ask, if they have any razors lying around.

G

gone down south

Between razor enthusiasts, general collector types and Ebay resellers, all the obvious stores have been picked over many times. Your odds of finding anything in the NYC area are slim to nil. Your only real chance is to come across a store so small, ugly or remote that no-one has bothered to search it out yet.

Or shop at B/S/T and Country Joe Vintage Razor on the web. Saves time and gas money. So far for me I find much better things, albeit slightly higher than what little I found (and didn't want) in "antique" stores. What little I have found in shops are incomplete, broken or highly in need of restoration work.

Last edited:
Ohio. With the unemployment, inept state gov't and high mold count in the air, there's not much else to recommend it.

Have to agree with the above: my best finds have been at antique stores out in the middle of nowhere. :tongue_sm

Also, the antique store that looked to have just a ton of junk had at least a dozen razors for sale!! (unfortunately, it is no longer open).

Last, if you enter a antique store that looks like a dive, it never hurts to ask, if they have any razors lying around.

+1

Found some treasures in the mentioned places.

Example, a Gillette HD in mint condition for $5.

Damn. Don't supposed you be willing to turn around and part with it? :wink:

Thanks all for the replies.

Unless you make me a offer that I can't refuse.

They simply shave great.

I like to think of them as the Steam Locomotives of Safety Razors.

Unpretentious, straightforward and hardworking.

+1 on what everyone has said.

I found to great Gillettes (a Slim and a Blue Tip) Saturday in one of the local antique shops. But this area of North Carolina is sort of a 'dead zone', if you will, for razors it seems. My find was really kind of unexpected.

Top Bottom