What's new

Where are the best places to hunt for vintage DE razors?

I know about BST here, ebay and etsy. But some other forums have BST-like subheadings--what are the good ones? I've heard about consignment shops online but haven't been able to really find anything that has more than one or two razors. Where are the best places?

Try antique stores or flea markets near you. Ebay has the advantage of hundreds of examples what you're looking for, but the hunt is more fun to some, myself included. Sometimes you won't find anything, other times you'll find shaving items you never knew existed, and occasionally you'll find what you're looking for.
You can also look at local on line classified ads, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.

Antique stores, church thrift shops, flea markets. Often antique stores are on the high end when it comes to price, but it’s nice to be able to get your hands on these things to check for bent teeth,cracks or mechanisms working correctly/smoothly. In my area the shops are filthy with cases auto strop razors. I wish I had even a passing interest in those. Good luck.

I think Goodwill has an online storefront. Other such organizations may as well.
Not sure about their online store but I’ve heard that goodwill doesn’t like taking in razors especially if they’re used. From what I’ve heard it’s a health/safety/liability issue. I guess they’re worried that someone would sue them if they got a blood born illness

Antique stores, church thrift shops, flea markets. Often antique stores are on the high end when it comes to price, but it’s nice to be able to get your hands on these things to check for bent teeth,cracks or mechanisms working correctly/smoothly. In my area the shops are filthy with cases auto strop razors. I wish I had even a passing interest in those. Good luck.
Good point about being able to check them out in your hands.

Not sure about their online store but I’ve heard that goodwill doesn’t like taking in razors especially if they’re used. From what I’ve heard it’s a health/safety/liability issue. I guess they’re worried that someone would sue them if they got a blood born illness
I go to some Goodwills near me maybe once every month and I've never seen one, but a friend of mine, who is a regular Goodwill-goer (she goes maybe twice a week and to Goodwills all over) said she sees them regularly in the toiletry section. I asked, "How many did you see in the last month?" Four or five, she said.

Attachments

• Selection_017.png
    Selection_017.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 30
I go to some Goodwills near me maybe once every month and I've never seen one, but a friend of mine, who is a regular Goodwill-goer (she goes maybe twice a week and to Goodwills all over) said she sees them regularly in the toiletry section. I asked, "How many did you see in the last month?" Four or five, she said.
It’s possible that the policy depends on what location you go to. I’ve noticed with large retail companies (like goodwill) training standards and knowledge of company policies tends to vary from store to store. Especially if they have a high employee turnover rate. With as much stuff as goodwill takes in I can easily see where the employees of a particular store might not know what to accept and what not to or they’re going by what the store manager is telling them to take in. I think I remember that the store near my house saying that they didn’t accept razors

It’s possible that the policy depends on what location you go to. I’ve noticed with large retail companies (like goodwill) training standards and knowledge of company policies tends to vary from store to store. Especially if they have a high employee turnover rate. With as much stuff as goodwill takes in I can easily see where the employees of a particular store might not know what to accept and what not to or they’re going by what the store manager is telling them to take in. I think I remember that the store near my house saying that they didn’t accept razors
Yeah, I imagine most of them don't take razors. I've been to enough of them that if most of them did, I would've seen them by now.

Top Bottom