What's new

When did production of Arko begin ?

By the looks of the packaging and the scent , I would guess 1950's or 1960's , but does anyone know when they began making Arko ?

By the looks of the packaging and the scent , I would guess 1950's or 1960's , but does anyone know when they began making Arko ?

My guess is sometime during the bronze age...

Everyone started looking a lot cleaner shaved after that so it must have been the Arko that cleaned the world up

proxy.php

Paul,
I have wondered the same. I am guessing the current wrapper design is not the original since " generations of turkish barbers have used it ". The fellow on the wrapper does not really look like a Turk IMO.

65 million years ago the essential elements in Arko were contained in an icy comet hurtling towards the Earth from the cold darkness of deep space. Eventually, the comet found its way to Earth, crashed into the planet at over 17,000 mph, causing a firestorm which led to the demise of the dinosaurs. Who, btw had no use for Arko nor did they know how to extract the essential elements.

Over the millenias which followed, heat and pressure deep within the Earth's interior, began to bind and coalesce the elements, even changing the molecular structure of it. There it rested for 10's of millions of years, as it cooled and hardened into what would eventually be regarded as a material which revolutionized wet shaving.

Fast forward to present day where a famous Turkish archeologist, and avid wetshaver, was on an archeological dig site. He had recently put in a request for his dwindling supplies and one in particular was for shaving soap. Well, Amazon, at this time, only existed in South America so, needless to say, the shipments could take weeks or even months to make the journey.

Well, in the mean time, he has no choice but to continue with his work. One day he stumbles upon a white, waxy substance, which had a wonderful, lemon citrus fragrance to it. As he further uncovered it, he noticed a film clinging, like a small child clings to his mother's teet, to his tools. He noticed this looked very familiar to the crude shave soap he had been using for the past onyear, which was provided by his government. Excitedly, he took a small amount and hurriedly returned to his tent. He hastily wet his face and rubbed the substance on it. He grabbed his brush and began the ritualistic swirling motions necessary for lather building and much to his surprise, it worked!

This was the story of the early beginnings of Arko.

when did they start making urinal cakes? one year before that.

+1

Though, I suppose it poses the question of which came first? Did the makers so like urinal cakes they imitated the scent, or where the urinal cake makers original cult of arko members? The world may never know...

I have a Turkish brother-in-law. Even HE thinks the smell is bordering on offensive. It's a curious thing that the smell is so bad because (as anyone who has spent any time in Turkey will attest) the nation and culture is fragrance mad. Many of their covered markets have perfume shops selling a huge variety of colognes, oils and a selection of hand-blown perfume bottles. Pure-rose essential oil sells for a fraction of the cost it does in the "west" and cheaper colognes (particularly the ubiquitous "Limon Kolonyasi" ) are even regularly used as hand sanitizers. With all that, I find it strange that Evyap haven’t either moderated the scent of Arko or introduced a different fragrance or two. Even Proraso have recently introduced new scents after producing nothing but their mentholated version for decades. Evyap must know that their Arko soap-base is superb. It’s such a shame that their marketing department can’t seem to think outside their traditional (urinal puck) square.

Last edited:
Folks, Arco is not loved by all. :001_rolle

There are many reviews and threads that document this. So please, let's not totally swerve this thread into a negative arco review.

Last edited:
I have a Turkish brother-in-law. Even HE thinks the smell is bordering on offensive. It's a curious thing that the smell is so bad because (as anyone who has spent any time in Turkey will attest) the nation and culture is fragrance mad. Many of their covered markets have perfume shops selling a huge variety of colognes, oils and a selection of hand-blown perfume bottles. Pure-rose essential oil sells for a fraction of the cost it does in the "west" and cheaper colognes (particularly the ubiquitous "Limon Kolonyasi" ) are even regularly used as hand sanitizers. With all that, I find it strange that Evyap haven’t either moderated the scent of Arko or introduced a different fragrance or two. Even Proraso have recently introduced new scents after producing nothing but their mentholated version for decades. Evyap must know that their Arko soap-base is superb. It’s such a shame that their marketing department can’t seem to think outside their traditional (urinal puck) square.

Their creams have the same outstanding performance and a litany of fragrance offerings. I think the stick is classic and it's intended to stay that way.

Top Bottom