What's new

What's your favorite North American whisky or bourbon for sipping straight?

Bourbon novice, but I like Knob Creek.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. Made with the same process as Scotch but since it's not made in Scotland they can't call it that. It has received high ratings.

I've been meaning to try Stranahan's. I have no excuse since I live in Colorado.

That's like picking a favorite child!

For sure anything from Four Roses or Van Winkle are always good. On the high end I'd say George T. Stagg, Sazerac 18, Jefferson's Presidential Select, or Parker's Heritage. On the low end I always keep a bottle of Buffalo Trace and Rittenhouse Rye BIB on hand. Always.

Templeton Rye, when I can get it. Nothing quite like it that I've tasted.

You might also want to try Redemption Rye and something from High West. All three are made by LDI in Indiana and then blended and repackaged by the respective companies. It won't be the same as Templeton but it may get you close.

Templeton is actually having a hard time sourcing their stock lately because LDI has been contracting with a number of other companies.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. Made with the same process as Scotch but since it's not made in Scotland they can't call it that. It has received high ratings.

I may have to try to find that one, but he's asking about American Bourbon style whiskeys. If it's made like Scotch, it should be nothing like bourbon.

I live in Kentucky so I tend to stick to our local stuff.

Along with Makers Mark try:

Wild Turkey 101
Elijah Craig
Even Williams Black Label

I like any of those mixed or straight:thumbup1:

One of these days I have GOT to take the bourbon tour. Just can't seem to get anyone to go.

For straight, my favorite whiskey is Jack Daniels.

Last edited:
You might also want to try Redemption Rye and something from High West. All three are made by LDI in Indiana and then blended and repackaged by the respective companies. It won't be the same as Templeton but it may get you close.

Templeton is actually having a hard time sourcing their stock lately because LDI has been contracting with a number of other companies.

Thanks for that info, Rich. I know Templeton is upping their production a massive amount this year, from only a few thousand bottles to over 200,000. I hope that gets them in more places. I'll look for your suggestions.

"Branch water" used to be pure, naturally filtered, spring water. Today, it means any pure bottled water, as opposed to tap water that a lot of bars use.

I live in Kentucky so I tend to stick to our local stuff.

Along with Makers Mark try:

Wild Turkey 101
Elijah Craig
Even Williams Black Label

I like any of those mixed or straight:thumbup1:

I'm with Brownie! Just had some WT 101 this weekend. MMm Mmm good.

Tim

Makers Mark as a regular.
Woodford Reserve for something a bit better (when there's spare cash around)
Four Roses Small Batch for something really special (~$110/bottle here in Oz)

Would love to try some George T Stagg or Winkle's

Four Roses Single Batch straight on the the rocks, has a bit of sweetness to it but very smooth.
Also like Black Maple Hill same way.
Not a fan of Makers but the new Makers 51 is ok.

For Mint Juleps, just regular Four Roses

Grand Dad is inexpensive and good. And the Pappy Van Winkle Rye is the BEST RYE EVER!!! If you can ever find it!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom