What's new

What's the Quintessential 19th Century Pipe?

I would prefer something large, straight and made of briar (Am I wrong for thinking these are difficult to find?), but it seems like those are a 20th century thing. I could be wrong though. Calabash pipes are a little bit too over-the-top for me, I think. What's the quintessential 19th century pipe and where can I buy a nice new one? Doesn't need to be an antique.

Ive seen a few 1890’s Peterson’s over the years. They were all small bowl straight Rhodesian shapes, usually with silver repair bands.

Ive seen a few 1890’s Peterson’s over the years. They were all small bowl straight Rhodesian shapes, usually with silver repair bands.

I'm looking at their website now and these look great! Some of the calabashes aren't as elaborate as the other ones I've seen. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I would say the quintessential 19th century pipe was clay. You might look at the late 1800s Peterson pipe shapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to tell how big these pipes are. I wish they would show someone holding the pipe next to their face in the picture. I want a BIG one!!!!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
It's hard to tell how big these pipes are. I wish they would show someone holding the pipe next to their face in the picture. I want a BIG one!!!!

Search YouTube for Peterson XL pipes to see some folks among them.

Big bowl pipes are a very modern design and mostly aimed at the American market. Those Pete’s I looked at and tried to buy were all similar to a size 1-2 Dunhill.

Like Mike said clay pipes were the norm for the working man. For the well to do Cherry shapes and spigots were not unusual. If you’ve read Sherlock Holmes you will hear plenty of shapes described in the books, same goes for Dickens.

Big bowl pipes are a very modern design and mostly aimed at the American market. Those Pete’s I looked at and tried to buy were all similar to a size 1-2 Dunhill.

I think I'm starting to see that now. European 19th century style is definitely the aesthetic I aspire to. I think those German clay pipes might be my best bet. Super cheap too!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The calabash didn’t get popular until the end of the 19th century in the Boer War. A lot of 19th century pipes were clay or meerschaum, or corncob in the US. For a briar of that period, a smallish cutty would be spot on.

Top Bottom