What's new

whats the difference between these fatip razors? help please :)

hello people, whats the difference between these fatip razors? i cant tell tbh

FaTip Nichelato Grande Double Edge Safety Razor

FaTip Double Cromato Grande PC Edge Safety Razor

Fatip Shaver Beard Large – 90 gr.

Fatip Shaver Beard Large Chrome – 100 gr.

in a nutshell im after an aggressive razor and would like for it to be open comb,
so i should i got for one of the above fatip razors? (assumings ive differentiated between the ones in the links above,
or should i maybe go for something like this semi slant razor?

Amalines Semi-Slant Safety Razor All Shiny Chrome Finish Double Edge Razor Old School Shaver for Men Shaving Moustache & Beard - No Blades Included

bare in mind i've never used a slant de razor before and i've only used an open comb razor in my savo medlife russion razor which has one side closed comb and the other side open comb, and i really like the feel and efficiency of the open comb tbh

any help would be appreciated...

You can also consider the Schone. Made by Fatip. Same basic head geometry with some minor differences in the size and thickness of the teeth. Different handle. I actually just did a review on the Schone on Saturday.

Testina Gentile is milder than OC, but it's not a mild razor. With a steep angle very effective. With a sharp blade bites easily.

The 1st, 3rd, 4th are the same Open comb Fatip grande. The 2nd is the closed comb Testina gentile. The gentile is quite a bit milder than the OC version to me.
thanks for answering bud, really helps as i am fancying getting an open comb razor tbh

I have both Fatip Piccolo and Gentile. Love the Piccolo (OC), the Gentile sits in the drawer of shame...it's not as 'nice' to use as the Piccolo.
I like the Schone, but don't have one. Would love to try one as I've read that they are a bit better in quality (QC) than the Fatips.
Slightly different baseplate too (number of OC 'teeth').
Good razors (Fatip or Schone) that don't cost a lot but do shave very nice and smoothly.
You won't regret buying one, and they are not made of zamac (win, win!).

Reactions: saj
@UncleSt3ve @gwsmallwood @Cafebarian @gsbfan @Iron Paw many thanks for your help guys

i decided to go for number four which was the...

Fatip Shaver Beard Large Chrome – 100 gr.

thought i might as well go for the heavier one too, so yea why not lol

anyways hopefully will be with me tomorrow some time, thanks again guys :)

I have both Fatip Piccolo and Gentile. Love the Piccolo (OC), the Gentile sits in the drawer of shame...it's not as 'nice' to use as the Piccolo.
I like the Schone, but don't have one. Would love to try one as I've read that they are a bit better in quality (QC) than the Fatips.
Slightly different baseplate too (number of OC 'teeth').
Good razors (Fatip or Schone) that don't cost a lot but do shave very nice and smoothly.
You won't regret buying one, and they are not made of zamac (win, win!).
Personally have the opposite situation, the Gentile is a favorite and my open comb is a cosmetic display razor.

I've got a Schone a few months ago and I find it a bit harsh compared to my Grande and FOCS. It still shaves nice, but it's somehow a bit more aggressive. It doesn't make sense, since both Grande and Schone have the same heads and the only difference are the number of teeth and the thickness and if anything, it should be more smooth like most claim, but I guess it is what it is.

My Schone could also have mk1 version of the head, if they even have them at all or perhaps no two Fatips/Schone shave exactly the same, who knows?

Happy camper! Just arrived in Zim. IMHO the Fatip Testina Originale is the most efficient razors I have tried so far. Now I'm very curious how this Il Piccolo Storto will behave. Just loaded it with a Bolsano.

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 33
Correct me if I'm wrong: but there are just four types of Fatips: regular OC, regular CC, slant OC, and slant CC. The rest of the differences is all in the handles. The Schöne is a Fatip with a fewer, thicker teeth, which would seem to make it sturdier.

It seems to me the Fatip is primarily a modern iteration of the Gillette New Type long comb, but with more blade curvature like the Old Type. Does it shave any better than a New Type? I will say this, it sure seems to be sturdier.

You can tweak the blade extension on a Fatip/Schöne by manipulating the blade position, as well as sliding the base plate in and out. This will change the aggressiveness of the razor. This is particularly good with the V2, which is milder than the V1, and may need tweaking to satisfy some. In other words, the Fatip is adjustable - by design.

If you just toss the blade in, you might get an aggressive setting.

The real key to getting the most out of a Fatip is finding the right blade angle. Most people quit too soon, which is why you see so many mint Fatip/Schöne razors for sale online. With the wrong blade angle, the razor SEEMS to be aggressive and makes more noise and causes more irritation, but does not provide the optimal, smooth shave it is capable of.

Fatip razors are like Bialetti bare aluminum moka pots, or like Italian racing bikes: Meant to be used, not to sit around looking pretty. The best Italian road bikes, like a Ciocc, don't have ornamentation, which is the sign of an amateur dilettante. Form follows function.

In case you missed it, Schöne is no more. They were good, very good. And, truth be told, they were prettier than a Fatip.

Either way, we should be very, very grateful that the Italians are turning out such a good, solid razor at such an incredibly reasonable price.

~ Schöne RIP. ~

~ Long live Fatip! ~

Last edited:
Happy camper! Just arrived in Zim. IMHO the Fatip Testina Originale is the most efficient razors I have tried so far. Now I'm very curious how this Il Piccolo Storto will behave. Just loaded it with a Bolsano.

I'm not a fan of the colour gold but that looks nice though

I get confused is that the one with the heavier short handle or is it the picolo?

Correct me if I'm wrong: but there are just four types of Fatips: regular OC, regular CC, slant OC, and slant CC. The rest of the differences is all in the handles. The Schöne is a Fatip with a fewer, thicker teeth, which would seem to make it sturdier.

It seems to me the Fatip is primarily a modern iteration of the Gillette New Type long comb, but with more blade curvature like the Old Type. Does it shave any better than a New Type? I will say this, it sure seems to be sturdier.

You can tweak the blade extension on a Fatip/Schöne by manipulating the blade position, as well as sliding the base plate in and out. This will change the aggressiveness of the razor. This is particularly good with the V2, which is milder than the V1, and may need tweaking to satisfy some. In other words, the Fatip is adjustable - by design.

If you just toss the blade in, you might get an aggressive setting.

The real key to getting the most out of a Fatip is finding the right blade angle. Most people quit too soon, which is why you see so many mint Fatip/Schöne razors for sale online. With the wrong blade angle, the razor SEEMS to be aggressive and makes more noise and causes more irritation, but does not provide the optimal, smooth shave it is capable of.

Fatip razors are like Bialetti bare aluminum moka pots, or like Italian racing bikes: Meant to be used, not to sit around looking pretty. The best Italian road bikes, like a Ciocc, don't have ornamentation, which is the sign of an amateur dilettante. Form follows function.

In case you missed it, Schöne is no more. They were good, very good. And, truth be told, they were prettier than a Fatip.

Either way, we should be very, very grateful that the Italians are turning out such a good, solid razor at such an incredibly reasonable price.

~ Schöne RIP. ~

~ Long live Fatip! ~
Interesting that a lot of people on these forums mention shaving angle when it comes to try fatip slant razors, I've never tried a slant razor let alone a fatip slant razor so yea I can't wait to try one out myself to see if the angle used on it is any different to any closed or open comb de razor I've used before

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting that a lot of people on these forums mention shaving angle when it comes to try fatip slant razors, I've never tried a slant razor let alone a fatip slant razor so yea I can't wait to try one out myself to see if the angle used on it is any different to any closed or open comb de razor I've used before

Go steep.

$Steep Angle.jpg

All Fatips are great.

My favorites are the FOCS and the unobtanium Mk1. I also prefer the fatter handles of the Grande to the skinnier handles of the Piccolo. When it's available I like nickel better than chrome, but there is nothing wrong with chrome. Much is a matter of preference, but I think the FOCS is a truly excellent razor.

1-12-21.NewGold.Fatip.640..JPG

The Gold FOCS might be my favorite (BTW, slants are easy to shave with and have no learning curve).

All are good, so enjoy yours.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Go steep.

View attachment 1267873

All Fatips are great.

My favorites are the FOCS and the unobtanium Mk1. I also prefer the fatter handles of the Grande to the skinnier handles of the Piccolo. When it's available I like nickel better than chrome, but there is nothing wrong with chrome. Much is a matter of preference, but I think the FOCS is a truly excellent razor.

View attachment 1267877

The Gold FOCS might be my favorite (BTW, slants are easy to shave with and have no learning curve).

All are good, so enjoy yours.

Happy shaves,

Jim
One of my first razors was a Fatip... This is why I am a steep user

I have the Fatip Retro and i couldn't be more satisfied! :)

I have also an Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley Chrome ( both closed and open comb head)

But i prefer the Fatip, is very well balanced!

Top Bottom