What's new

whats the difference between these derby de blades?

The Derby catalog says they're the only blade manufacturer in Turkey so any blade coming from Turkey is a Derby. That includes Derby Extra, Derby Premium, Derby Usta, Bluebird, Parker, Concords, Diamond Excell, and Lion.
I think you missed my earlier post where I said they are made in the Derby plant <for> another company.

Reactions: saj
I think you missed my earlier post where I said they are made in the Derby plant <for> another company.

No, I saw it. My opinion is: Same factory + same machinery + same workers = same stuff. The rest is all branding.
A number of people here say that Van der Hagen and Micro Touch One razors are really Weishi razors. Same reasoning.

BTW, What I've heard is that the Bluebird brand was just for marketing in Saudi Arabia, not another company. But that's just what I've heard, without any real evidence. I could be wrong.

Usta means "expert" or "master" in Turkish, so it makes sense that these are the best Derbys. If you ever visit a Turkish restaurant, make sure the cook is an "Usta" (same is applied to Turkish barbers)

I haven't used the Derby Ustas yet, but I was gifted one pack. I will give it a shot soon

Reactions: saj
Usta means "expert" or "master" in Turkish, so it makes sense that these are the best Derbys. If you ever visit a Turkish restaurant, make sure the cook is an "Usta" (same is applied to Turkish barbers)

I haven't used the Derby Ustas yet, but I was gifted one pack. I will give it a shot soon
cool didnt know it meant exper or master, yea like you say with a word like that you'd assume it must be the best out the lot they make

Derby extra sucks big time...worst blade ever,dull,plenty of other options on market
yea i know one person when i got into wet shaving said theyre rubbish,
i dont know as a lot of asian barbers around here seem to use them in shavettes

No, I saw it. My opinion is: Same factory + same machinery + same workers = same stuff. The rest is all branding.
A number of people here say that Van der Hagen and Micro Touch One razors are really Weishi razors. Same reasoning.

BTW, What I've heard is that the Bluebird brand was just for marketing in Saudi Arabia, not another company. But that's just what I've heard, without any real evidence. I could be wrong.
I'm the opposite. I work for a company that makes products for other companies on the same equipment we make ours on. We make stuff to different specs than our own. We would never claim those products to be ours.

UAE was the country I had seen in respect to Bluebirds but I have no way of proving it.

I'm the opposite. I work for a company that makes products for other companies on the same equipment we make ours on. We make stuff to different specs than our own. We would never claim those products to be ours.

UAE was the country I had seen in respect to Bluebirds but I have no way of proving it.

Yeah, I get your POV. I guess what I'm saying is that one company can make a range of product so a blanket condemnation isn't always a good idea. Personally, I've had good luck with with any blade coming out of Turkey. About 1/4 of the blades I've used have been the old pre-2016 Extras. I hear the newer Extras are thinner and sharper. The Premiums and Ustas are even better (for me,YMMV)

I experienced with different DE's and Shavettes the Derby Extra, Derby Usta and Derby Premium.

Sharpness wise I may say; Derby Premium > Derby Usta > Derby Extra

hey peeps so i noticed theres a couple of types of derby de blades,
ive used the black premium derby blades dont remember how i found them though as that was some time ago

anyways im wondering whats the difference between these derby blades? (links below)
which are considered the best?
which is the sharpest and smoothest out the lot?

are the others worth more compared to the derby green ones? (first link)

this one below is advertised as derby blades but it says blue bird, is it th same company?

thanks saj :)
The only difference between the blue pack of derbies and the green pack are the number of blades in each. Blue is 10 in each. Green is 5. But they’re both the same blades. The premium is supposed to be a better quality of blade

yea i know one person when i got into wet shaving said theyre rubbish,
i dont know as a lot of asian barbers around here seem to use them in shavettes
My experience with Derby Extra in any safety razor have been ok to mediocre; however when I used them with a shavette, they did much better then I expected.

anyone used the blue derby extra, stainless steel ones?

got a tuck not even opened the wrapper yet

Extras are just fine... They get a lot of hate around here, but there's not much fundamentally wrong with them.

Up to a certain point in time (2016-ish IIRC) they were not so sharp, but current production seems fairly average.

I even used Extras in the fairly mild Baili for cheapskates challenge month, expecting them to prove to be somewhere between a bit challenging and an ordeal... Nope, just a pretty average blade that shaved fine and kept going for a bunch of uses.

Premiums are better and Usta's are better again, but Extras work just fine.

According to the Derby catalog, they are the only razor blade manufacturer on Turkey. So any blades made in Turkey come from that plant. That would include Bluebird, Concord, Derby Extra, Derby Premiun, Derby Usta, Diamonds Pro Excell, Lamix Platinum Plus, Lion, & Parker.

im really shocked as i dont really use blades after one use but today i cba changing the derby extra green blades that i used from the last shave but it performed amazingly, like im so surprised tbh

can anyone explain why de blades potentially get better after one or more uses?

Top Bottom