What's new

Whats so special about a Gillette Double Ring?

It is the first model safety razor made/designed by King C Gillette. They were limited production and each one had a unique serial number and were sold at very few places for its time. I can't tell you the difference but my single ring 1910 gives an extremely close shave. So close that if your no careful enough it will let you know either by razor burn or blood. It takes a gentle hand to use it, but worth it when you figure out how to use one.

Larry

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yes, I think the Double was produced over a shorter period. I have had both, though the Double went to live elsewhere some time ago .. my recollection is that they both had similar shaves, fairly aggressive in either case, though it would be interesting to hear others' experiences

R

romsitsa

Collector item and it is not rare. Better/worse is very ymmv with a razor prone to damage.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My double doesn't shave any differently than my handful of single-rings. I picked it up to see if it shaved any differently, and because of its historical value (to me). Unless you feel strongly about collecting the various years/types of razors, I recommend you get yourself a well-cared-for Single Ring, and forget about the Double-Ring. Whether you believe it to be rare (or not), the market has certainly valued it as a "rare" item, and they are often pricey.

Any estimates as to how many remain in the market? I understand that it'd be hard to quantify, but are we talking hundreds, thousands, etc.? Rare is probably misleading a little bit, but I'd say they are uncommon and might not be able to acquire one at any given moment in time such as one would be able to do with a superspeed or fatboy.

Any estimates as to how many remain in the market? I understand that it'd be hard to quantify, but are we talking hundreds, thousands, etc.? Rare is probably misleading a little bit, but I'd say they are uncommon and might not be able to acquire one at any given moment in time such as one would be able to do with a superspeed or fatboy.

According to the article I linked, less than 1 million were manufactured. However, that was about 120 years ago!

So, I think it's a safe assumption that only a few thousand are left.

BUT, and this is important, if you are a collector looking for a MINT-y set, i.e. razor in pristine condition, instruction set included, case and leather in great shape, blade banks still there... you're probably looking at probably less than 20 left. I haven't seen a set like that being sold for at least two years. Yes, I have seen several crappy, damaged, mismatched sets being offered.

As a collector I have always wanted a double ring but I am not willing to shell out a lot for one so I will most likely never have one. Not a big deal for me.

Top Bottom