What's new

Whats in your pack?

New forum!

I just booked 3 nights of camping in algonquin park for the end of may. Anybody else have plans for the summer yet?

Sweet new subforum!

I'm gonna do some backpacking this summer in the Cohutta Wilderness. I've went camping all of my life but never went up to any of the national forests. Gonna change that this year.

Not yet, but Algonquin is gorgeous. Love it up there:thumbup1:

This will be our second trip up to the park. Me and the gf went up last year in the fall, and it was awesome. We ended up doing a campsite very far north into the park, ended up being a 6+ hour drive each way, but was very worth it. Woke up one night to the howling wolves.

This year we are headed up to a closer campground with a couple friends of ours. Hopefully I can fit in some fishing this time.

We need a backpacking gear thread, a "what's in your pack" type job.

I've got a basic list going for now. Keep in mind this is more of a concrete campground, easy access to your vehicle, camping with the girlfriend and friends list rather then a serious backpacking list, but here goes:

First Aid Kit

Bear Bell(1 Ea)
Bear Spray
Whistle
Flashlights(1 Ea)
Head Lamp
Lantern
Folding Shovel
Axe(Small Limbing/splitting axe)
Knives(folding 1 Ea)
Knife Large

Camp Safe Soap
Cutlery(fork, spoon. 1 Ea)
Plate(1 Ea)
Bowls(1 Ea)
Cup(1 Ea)
Water Bottle(1Ea)
Toilet Paper
Pan
Pot
Buckets

Lighters
Matches + case
Fire sticks

Tent
Air Mattress
Pillows
Blankets/Sleeping bags
Chairs
Tarps(1 under tent, 1 wood cover, 1 spare)
Spare tent stakes
Rope
Waterproof Pouches
Biners
Zip Ties
Rain Gear
Camp Mirror

Compass
Map

Bug spray
Mosquito Coils
Citronella
Bug Hats

Since this is only our second camping trip, we are still working on slimming it down. There is also some redundancy since we are camping with friend and near the car. Going for convenience over light weight. Bug overkill seems like alot, but Algonquin in spring can be very scary from what I've heard, especially blackflies.

During the summers I perform archaeological field work in Belize and this year the staff is doing a 10 day camp/excavations in the jungle near the Guatemalan boarder. I'm pretty damn excited, my last jungle camping experience was for 6 days, two years ago.

During the summers I perform archaeological field work in Belize and this year the staff is doing a 10 day camp/excavations in the jungle near the Guatemalan boarder. I'm pretty damn excited, my last jungle camping experience was for 6 days, two years ago.

Oh man, that sounds awesome. I've been thinking about a trip to belize for a long time, though more of a resort deal, but one that is buried in the jungle.

Edit: was just making a what's in your pack thread when I saw the name change.

So guys, whats in your pack? What do you consider essential for camping/backpacking?

Last edited:
Steri-pen. :thumbup:

proxy.php

I'd buy a hiking GPS, just in case. Beats getting lost when hiking. Or one of the Bushnell BackTrack GPS compasses. You can set your camp site as home base and it will guide you back. They are only about $50.

My sister and her husband went camping/hiking and were lost, at one point, for 8 hours. Not fun.

Just back from Sequoia National Forrest after a 3 day backpacking adventure with friends. I do not advise swimming in the Kern River as it is freezing.

This summer we plan on going back up and spending a week or so up there just tramping around.

There's also a desert trip in the making.

Lastly a friend own a very large chunk of land in northern california and we are thinking about taking a couple weeks to drive up, camp/hike around, and go shooting.

This is what I usually travel with.

Backpack:
- Osprey Exos

Sleeping arrangements:
- Down sleeping bag, lightweight (about 500 grams), comfort temp 0/-1 C
- Sleeping mat (Ajungilak Bamse Extreme, very big and clumpy, but fit for all occasions and seasons)
- 1-2 man tent

Clothes:
- Wind/waterproof jacket
- Wool long johns and wool shirt (two of each, if cold weather)
- Thick wool jumper (safety garment)
- Extra underwear
- Extra woolen socks
- Cap
- Sunglasses
- Gore-tex or thick cotton trouser, both with suspenders (belts don't work for me)
- Alfa Hjerkinn gore-tex boots (http://villmarksbutikken.net/filestore/Hjerkinn.jpg)
(Appropriate footwear wax/oil/cream)
- If I don't want to use these boots for whatever reason, I use my army boots and bring overshoes in case of wet/snowy ground.

Cooking/heating tools:
- Optimus Nova+ burner (does not use gas, I might get a small gas burner for Summer trips)
- Optimus cooking pot
- Spoon
- Always extra dry rations in case of prolonged stay
- Bag of nuts and chocolate as another emergency/in between meals food
- Flint and steel
- Matches
- Storm lighter

Cutting utensils:
- Buck 757BK axe
- Imitation Saami knife
- Multitool
(Sometimes I leave the Saami knife if I'm bringing the multitool. Or sometimes I leave the axe if I bring the Saami knife.)

Health and safety:
- At least two bandages with attached compresses
- Hand disinfectant
- Paracord at varying lengths
- Extra shoelaces (if paracord is a poor replacement)
- Appropriate amount of toilet paper (what I perceive to need, then double that amount)
- Several plastic bags
- Head torch w/extra batteries
- Supportive insoles, two pairs
- Micro towel
- Support bandages, one or two rolls
- Mobile phone
- Toiletries (mostly just a toothbrush, maybe deodorant)
- Bug repellants
- Camelback 3l reservoir

I think that's it. I also bring skis and/or snowshoes if it's a trip through snowy regions. And of course, I always bring a compass, and a map of the region.

Always camp so you can survive for longer than you think you need to, especially regarding clothes. Never pack "just what you need" if you don't absolutely have to.

Oh man, that sounds awesome. I've been thinking about a trip to belize for a long time, though more of a resort deal, but one that is buried in the jungle.

Edit: was just making a what's in your pack thread when I saw the name change.

So guys, whats in your pack? What do you consider essential for camping/backpacking?

Belize is a nice country. If your looking for a "jungle" resort I suggest you head inland to the Cayo district. It's my favourite part of the country. Though I'm not a beach person or an active snorkeler/scuba diver, so the coast doesn't hold my attention for that long.

As for a what's in my pack, it changes all the time depending on the trip so producing one list isn't going to be something useful for me.

I'm an ultralight backpacker. My new additions include a tarp, alcohol stove (less than 1 ounce!), and a laundry line (so I have just one extra pair of clothes).

At a minimum

Pack:
Vortex 5800

Tent:
REI Half-Dome Plus

Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad:
North Face Goliath, REI Camp bed

Water:
MSR Miniworks

Stove:
Jetboil system

Knives:
Spyderco Centofante 3 (folding) Fallkniven Idun

Beyond that, it's a rotating mix of lexan utensils, different clothes, and trekking poles. I wish I could go backpacking more often, but my group has rather disappeared of late.

Last edited:
Well, Toronto sportsmen show is in town right now, and I picked a new gransfors axe! Very excited to use this baby. Looked at a couple models, but went with the scandinavian forest axe. It is slightly large for backpacking, which will serve me better in camp, especially since I seem to do more near car camping right now, though it is still manageable for backpacking.

I'm an ultralight backpacker. My new additions include a tarp, alcohol stove (less than 1 ounce!), and a laundry line (so I have just one extra pair of clothes).

I am a big fan of the home-made Robinson cat food can stoves. I have had good results with them in sub-zero temperatures. I go for the ultralight mode myself. (I am trying to preserve my knees.)

I wont go anywhere without my Trangia. I have one in the back of my car as well, never know when your'e going to need a brew.

Last edited:
Top Bottom