I'll just leave this here for a bit...

Should I open it?

Attachments

• $178196167_full.jpg
    $178196167_full.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 985
P

Pjotr

Nice box! And yes it has the SE razor equivalent of a WMD inside so if I were you I'd take up Mr Flay's generous offer.

Let's take a peek!

So, what are they? (Aside from Gems obviously) And what is with a double set? Haven't been able to find any info online. HIs 'n' hers?

Attachments

• $178196136_full.jpg
    $178196136_full.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:
Those are nice! I'm not an SE expert, what is the razor on the right? How do they shave? I recently aquired a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf and really like it, I think I have a new RAD!

Those are nice! I'm not an SE expert, what is the razor on the right? How do they shave? I recently aquired a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf and really like it, I think I have a new RAD!

At this stage I don't know any more than you. I won them in an auction this evening and am awaiting delivery. The set was just irresistible and I think I may have got a bit "enthusiastic" about acquiring them and overpaid.

Oh hang on, is the razor on the right, not in fact a razor but a thingy to hold the blade for stropping?

P

Pjotr

Yep it's a GEM Jewel strop set. I've seen plenty of identical Ever Ready Streamline sets recently but not one of those. I don't know how the stropping set up works or if indeed you need different SE blades for it but maybe one of the other SE users will pipe in here. Maybe if you post this with a different title you might draw them in! It's a bit of a score Azback. Well done.

Yep it's a GEM Jewel strop set. I've seen plenty of identical Ever Ready Streamline sets recently but not one of those. I don't know how the stropping set up works or if indeed you need different SE blades for it but maybe one of the other SE users will pipe in here. Maybe if you post this with a different title you might draw them in! It's a bit of a score Azback. Well done.

Once I get it in my hands I'll put some pics up in this months "Score" forum. According to the auction, it comes with either 6 blades total or 6 blades a piece in those blade holders, so I will be able to give it a whirl straight away.

I ended up paying $64.10 NZD for it (around $50 USD) which I think was okay, but nearly double the reserve. But it's just so darn purdy, I HAD to have it.

P

Pjotr

That's a good price for one of those. You usually have to pay that for just a boxed razor without the strop set up. I saw a Streamline strop set go for $90 the other day. Just be careful with the blades it's got. I'm always happy to help out a downunder SE user so if you want a couple of new GEM stainless steel blades to tide you over give me a PM. It's not the mildest SE around so go careful. Check out mrguysrazors (he's one of the SE gurus here) on youtube for an SE video on how to use them. Did you get it on Trademe?

That's a good price for one of those. You usually have to pay that for just a boxed razor without the strop set up. I saw a Streamline strop set go for $90 the other day. Just be careful with the blades it's got. I'm always happy to help out a downunder SE user so if you want a couple of new GEM stainless steel blades to tide you over give me a PM. It's not the mildest SE around so go careful. Check out mrguysrazors (he's one of the SE gurus here) on youtube for an SE video on how to use them. Did you get it on Trademe?

Yep, it was a $35 reserve, had been eyeing it up all week. What's with the strop setup, just a novelty? Or are the blades actually "maintainable", at least for a while?

P

Pjotr

Yep, it was a $35 reserve, had been eyeing it up all week. What's with the strop setup, just a novelty? Or are the blades actually "maintainable", at least for a while?

No it's not a novelty. This is a serious razor! With the current GEM stainless steel blades there's no need for the stropper I wouldn't have thought. My Streamline model didn't come with the stropping set up. Mine might be a later model when easier to use blades were more commonly available or something? I don't know much about stropping to be honest. As you said you can maintain and prolong the life of (primarily I assume) carbon steel blades. If you do what you suggested and post this in the score thread or somewhere more visible you might get some comment from people that know a lot more about SEs than I do. "I just use the damned things", as Pete Townshend once said.

That is a very nice catch. I have never seen a Gem Jewell with the strop set. The strop is not a novelty. It was used to keep the thicker blades of that era sharp. You can still use it today. I liken it to hand stropping which is popular with certain people on this board. You slide the blade in the side of the stropping machine, attach the strop to something secure and hold the belt tight so it is flat. Thread the machine on the strop with the blade facing you (not facing the strop or you will cut the leather strop). Then just slide the machine forward as it drags the blade behind it. When you near the end of the strop, stop and bring it back toward you and the machine will automatically flip the blade to the other side. If you do this a few times, it will debur the blade. I have returned to using this machine method with my ER Streamline after an unfortunate cut one morning while hand stropping my SE blades. You will love that razor. Built like a tank and smooth and aggressive. Congratulations again.

It's a beauty! The blade holders pivot up I believe? I wouldn't use the vintage blades though (if they are). Find new GEM blades before you get your prize.

-jim

Azback, if you check this thread out you'll see a load of strop set ups. No GEM Jewells though.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/238123-Let-s-see-those-SE-razors

Much obliged! It had a link to this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/197481-Ever-Ready-Streamline-Differences-(Pic-Heavy) with nice pics of an Ever Ready Streamline setup.

I wouldn't use the vintage blades though (if they are). Find new GEM blades before you get your prize.

Silly question, but is that because they would be old 'n nasty? Or there are better blades available now? Or to preserve the "originality? It comes with 6 original wrapped blades I believe.

Much obliged! It had a link to this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/197481-Ever-Ready-Streamline-Differences-(Pic-Heavy) with nice pics of an Ever Ready Streamline setup.

Silly question, but is that because they would be old 'n nasty? Or there are better blades available now? Or to preserve the "originality? It comes with 6 original wrapped blades I believe.

Old carbon steel blades are more then likely to have lost their edge. They may well have been as good as modern SE blades when they were manufactured. You can always give one a try though, I suppose, if you didn't have any other choices. I mean, why bother unless you just can't find some GEM blades hanging off a hook at some pharmacy or store.

-jim

Top Bottom