What's new

What's for breakfast?

Hashbrowns, kind of a hybrid, not diced potatoes or true hashbrowns. Cut a small russet potato into rounds, pretty thin, and then go across those rounds so you have strips leftover. Fry in canola oil until crispy on both sides (requiring an artful flip), and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Put those on a plate, keep 'em warm in the oven, dispose of used oil and then fry two strips of thick-cut bacon, until just shy of crisp. Leaving the bacon grease, cook two eggs and then about 1/2 cup of chopped spinach in that grease. Top that off with navy style coffee brewed strong and served black, some cholula for the eggs (either original or chili garlic), and you're ready for whatever life is going to heave your way that particular day.

A breakfast in my Glasgow hotel..

Grapefruit juice that tasted slightly sweet and with a strong splash of pink grapefruit. Tea you could stand a spoon in.
Eggs fried in butter, scrambled eggs also tasting of butter.
Sausages that tastes like those my granny used to fry up, only without the same grain content.
Back bacon, thick cut, heavily smoked, crisped just right on the thin piece of rind.
Baked beans in a thick sauce, not the watery American kind, but one with just the right amount of congeal.
Potato scone - not something I used to like but taken in context 30 years later, superb.
A hash brown thing that didn't fit the theme. A fried half tomato.
Good looking black pudding that I turned my nose up at because I wanted the last artery clogger to be....some very passable haggis.
A meal fit to slay kings. It was completely and utterly perfect.

I normally am a hot cereal eater consisting of either rolled oats, steel cut or 5 minute Quaker oats with walnuts and blue berries if available or other fresh fruit. Today I made a favorite for my wife and I that I don't make as often as I should. We like Eggs Benedict so today was the day. I like to put razor thin slices of smoked salmon on the English muffin and then put the poached egg on top of that and then pour on the Hollandaise sauce. It is an excellent treat.

Regards,

Doug

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I normally am a hot cereal eater consisting of either rolled oats, steel cut or 5 minute Quaker oats with walnuts and blue berries if available or other fresh fruit. Today I made a favorite for my wife and I that I don't make as often as I should. We like Eggs Benedict so today was the day. I like to put razor thin slices of smoked salmon on the English muffin and then put the poached egg on top of that and then pour on the Hollandaise sauce. It is an excellent treat.

Regards,

Doug
Mix Quaker oats up with yogurt- it tastes really good (and I am a baconholic)

Top Bottom