What's new

What's everyone's next pen going to be?

Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop in purple. It will be paired with Noodler's Purple Mountain Majesties ink.

1673459835419.png

Help me, Aurora 88, Lamy 2000 or Lamy Studio.
For what it's worth, I've purchased all three (used, not new) I still own the 88 and 2000; some one would have to have a gun to my head for me to get rid of either pen.

I moved on from the Studio...I really didn't care for that clip.

I should note that all three have/had wonderful nibs.

Thinking a Twsbi swipe in a Fine nib. I have one in the 1.1 and thoroughly enjoy it.

On the other hand, maybe I just save up for a Lamy 2000. It’s on the dream list for maybe some day! 😃🤙

Will probably get the Twsbi in the meantime though.

Pilot Custom 823 has arrived! After over a month of shipping, it’s finally here.

I’m a little concerned on the “M” nib… I was expecting something a lot closer to fine considering it’s a Pilot. The nib does have an M stamp, and there’s a sticker with “M” on it… it’s just not what I was hoping for.

I’ve made a comparison with other pens and definitely think this is closer to broad. Should be closer to the German/lamy “F”.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I think it might get sent to a nibmeister for some tuning
B5C46AEF-825F-4372-9CEC-1D3DFD6DAE90.jpeg

My pilot 823 B nib was much broader than I expected. I expected it to be akin to a western M. I had it ground to a stub and now it's much more agreeable to me.

Perhaps the 823 nibs are sized the same as western nibs.

My pilot 823 B nib was much broader than I expected. I expected it to be akin to a western M. I had it ground to a stub and now it's much more agreeable to me.

Perhaps the 823 nibs are sized the same as western nibs.
Appreciate you sharing that, makes me feel a little better. I think I’ll have it adjusted.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Two mini ballpoints on the way. A Filofax mini barley, and an Ohto Minimo. Preliminary pics, purloined from the net.

th-296572402.jpg

th-4280570754.jpg

th-3208138852.jpg

I've also got a pressurised D1 refill coming for the Minimo, which should turn it into a kind of micro space pen type affair. A wallet carried back up pen, perhaps?

The Mini Barley takes D1 inserts too, as do a couple of other pens I already have.

I have a Visconti “Mythos Neptune” with a ”M” nib on the way, it should be at the house Thursday, but I won’t be back home until Friday evening😩

Tom

Trying not to feed into my fountain pen addiction too much, but my next one will probably be the Kaweco Sport Brass EF. It will feel nice and sturdy as an EDC pen. Anyone has any experience with it as an EDC pen?
-Boris

Pilot Custom 823 has arrived! After over a month of shipping, it’s finally here.

I’m a little concerned on the “M” nib… I was expecting something a lot closer to fine considering it’s a Pilot. The nib does have an M stamp, and there’s a sticker with “M” on it… it’s just not what I was hoping for.

I’ve made a comparison with other pens and definitely think this is closer to broad. Should be closer to the German/lamy “F”.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I think it might get sent to a nibmeister for some tuning View attachment 1587571
I'd say that your 'M' nib in #1 looks pretty much exactly on par with two, if not all three, of my Pilot Metropolitans with 'M' nibs.

I started out with Pilot F nibs, thought they were 'too F', so went to 'M', and then found that I preferred the 'F'.

Pilot needs an MF, for sure.

FWIW, I found the 'F' nib in the Lamy Safari that I picked up to be too broad, so went with an EF on the next one, and then got an EF replacement nib for the F, and now, ah sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you... LOVE the 'F' nib on my TWSBI ECO, too.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Montblanc 220
View attachment 1474751
I have been waiting till after my move to get one of these. I just ordered this one. I don’t know what size the nib is. EF or F I guess.
I bought one circa 1970. Judge Sarah T. Hughes signed my Texas law license using it, loaded with sepia ink and wanted to keep it. As politely but firmly as possible, I declined. It was a better writing pen IME than the Meisterstuck, but for effortless writing, I believe my Pelikans have been the best. Nonetheless that first Mont Blanc was a joy and set me on this quest.

I bought one circa 1970. Judge Sarah T. Hughes signed my Texas law license using it, loaded with sepia ink and wanted to keep it. As politely but firmly as possible, I declined. It was a better writing pen IME than the Meisterstuck, but for effortless writing, I believe my Pelikans have been the best. Nonetheless that first Mont Blanc was a joy and set me on this quest.
I still haven’t sent it out for repair. I have five pens in total that need work. I do like the pen and have tested it thoroughly.

After saying I would never own one, a good price that I just couldn’t pass up, 1970s to 80s Montblanc 146, is on its way to me and should be here Friday. The gentleman said that it writes good and smooth, but has a slight misalignment of the tines. Now the wait begins!!!

Tom

After saying I would never own one, a good price that I just couldn’t pass up, 1970s to 80s Montblanc 146, is on its way to me and should be here Friday. The gentleman said that it writes good and smooth, but has a slight misalignment of the tines. Now the wait begins!!!

Tom
Good for you. They really are nice pens...not worth the current MSRP imho. On the used market, they can be had fairly reasonably. I got mine about 6 months ago for about $200. Well worth it when you can find them for that amount or less. Mine is from the same time period as the one you have coming your way. It writes and performs flawlessly.

I haven't found it yet, but, I would like my next pen to be a classic Aurora 88. I won one on that auction site for a fair price. The seller came back and said it was damaged and canceled the transaction. I'm not in a hurry.

Top Bottom