What's new

What's everyone's next pen going to be?

I am giving the twsbi eco a try ... I ordered today ...

I have two of these ecos, they are great value for money.

If I could give you one tip. Much is made of the fact that the Eco can be taken apart and put back together, there some people who will take the pen apart when there is nothing wrong just to put it back together. My advice is that you leave well alone until you have to take it apart, just enjoy the pen as it is.

When you do need to open it up watch the youtube vids first, there is a couple of tricks with the position of the nib on the feed and the threaded rod on the knob.

Basically just enjoy the pen!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

If I could give you one tip. Much is made of the fact that the Eco can be taken apart and put back together, there some people who will take the pen apart when there is nothing wrong just to put it back together. My advice is that you leave well alone until you have to take it apart, just enjoy the pen as it is.

When you do need to open it up watch the youtube vids first, there is a couple of tricks with the position of the nib on the feed and the threaded rod on the knob.

thanks for the advice on that ... I hope it doesnt come to that honestly. does the pen get clogged with ink? why do you have to take it apart anyway?
I had a problem with a pen retailer but ended up getting it on the A jungle and it will be here tomorrow. looking forward to trying it.

thanks for the advice on that ... I hope it doesnt come to that honestly. does the pen get clogged with ink? why do you have to take it apart anyway?
I had a problem with a pen retailer but ended up getting it on the A jungle and it will be here tomorrow. looking forward to trying it.

I took mine apart for cleaning, I had used a Diamine ink and it stained the barrel

twsbi diamine.JPG

I removed the nib and feed to clean the barrel with a Q tip, it soon became stained again. I would use washable inks from Parker and Waterman and avoid saturated inks.

You may need to lubricate the piston when it becomes still. twsbi provide silicon oil which is a bit lightweight for the job. If you can find some silicon grease, you will need only the smallest amount, a Qtip full.

IMHO they are like a good car or bike engine, best left alone if they are running well, not to be taken apart just because you can.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I took mine apart for cleaning, I had used a Diamine ink and it stained the barrel

View attachment 1028824

I removed the nib and feed to clean the barrel with a Q tip, it soon became stained again. I would use washable inks from Parker and Waterman and avoid saturated inks.

You may need to lubricate the piston when it becomes still. twsbi provide silicon oil which is a bit lightweight for the job. If you can find some silicon grease, you will need only the smallest amount, a Qtip full.

IMHO they are like a good car or bike engine, best left alone if they are running well, not to be taken apart just because you can.
thanks for the info my go to ink is pilot iroshizuku. so hopefully wont have a problem. i am a big believe in the if is aint broke dont fix it approach.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

That goes for any pen. :wink2:

While having some coffee from the newly arrived mug, I stumbled onto Schon Designs Pocket Six fountain pens... and dropped an order for one. The new coffee mug is also of interest...

IMG_20191024_1646572.jpg

It's around 16oz, I have 2 or 3 that are 20+, but this one is good for light coffee days.

There is something wrong with me, I live in England and we dont measure cups and things in fluid ounces, to get an understanding of what 16oz might look like I have to produce a comparison - 8 bottles of Parker ink!

There is something wrong with me, I live in England and we dont measure cups and things in fluid ounces, to get an understanding of what 16oz might look like I have to produce a comparison - 8 bottles of Parker ink!
Or... it's the same as a pint form the local pub. :)

I have 2 more Jinhao 51A's on order, along with some weird custom nib and a single pen pouch off of eBay. I really like snap caps with no step between the section and the barrel that aren't too heavy and aren't too thin, and this fits the bill (and has a fine/EF nib).

Or... it's the same as a pint form the local pub. :)

I was thinking about that after I posted, we buy beer in pints and half pints, milk in litres, petrol in litres but think in miles per gallon, I know my height in feet and inches but not in metres, no idea about fluid ounces or non UK shoe sizes, currency is decimal but still refer to shillings and half crowns to people of a certain age.

Obviously we have some work to do.

I was thinking about that after I posted, we buy beer in pints and half pints, milk in litres, petrol in litres but think in miles per gallon, I know my height in feet and inches but not in metres, no idea about fluid ounces or non UK shoe sizes, currency is decimal but still refer to shillings and half crowns to people of a certain age.

Obviously we have some work to do.
You missed thinking on weight in kg, unless it's a person, then it's in stones... ;)

It's only confusing to .. well.. anyone that didn't grow up with the hodgepodge. lol

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

Just got the eco ahead of delivery expectation. Impressive fit and finish for the money. Inked up cool piston. I must say the nib. I got broad but not a stub. Was very buttery. Having it here makes me want to crack the briefcase and do some work to use it.

Just got the eco ahead of delivery expectation. Impressive fit and finish for the money. Inked up cool piston. I must say the nib. I got broad but not a stub. Was very buttery. Having it here makes me want to crack the briefcase and do some work to use it.

I hope that you enjoy using it, Ecos are very good value, a piston filled pen with a decent nib and plastics.

Sometimes we forget how long pens will last, easily last for a couple of generations. I made this point to an accountant, saying that a Conid could be $700, he asked how long it might last, 100 years I said, his response was 'just $7 a year then'.

Thats accountants for you.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I hope that you enjoy using it, Ecos are very good value, a piston filled pen with a decent nib and plastics.

Sometimes we forget how long pens will last, easily last for a couple of generations. I made this point to an accountant, saying that a Conid could be $700, he asked how long it might last, 100 years I said, his response was 'just $7 a year then'.

Thats accountants for you.
thanks i used it last nite and like it very much
regarding the account....thats a fantastic way to justify purchases!

At the risk of being derided for replying to an old thread --

I'm looking at Parker 45's in stainless steel with gold trim. I've really got the hots for one.

I have to do some learning first, though. I have to study cartridge/etc first, and what kind of ink to use. What nib, etc.

I see quite a few on Amazon, but that can't be right -- weren't they discontinued in 2007???

At the risk of being derided for replying to an old thread --

I'm looking at Parker 45's in stainless steel with gold trim. I've really got the hots for one.

I have to do some learning first, though. I have to study cartridge/etc first, and what kind of ink to use. What nib, etc.

I see quite a few on Amazon, but that can't be right -- weren't they discontinued in 2007???

Plenty for sale on ebay.co.uk for not much money, the pen takes Parker cartridges and Parker converters. Nib size is down to personal preference but most people prefer M for Medium. In terms of ink, I would stay with Parker washable blue.

Plenty for sale on ebay.co.uk for not much money, the pen takes Parker cartridges and Parker converters. Nib size is down to personal preference but most people prefer M for Medium. In terms of ink, I would stay with Parker washable blue.

Thanks for the info.

My only question -- how many are fakes and how do I tell?

Top Bottom