What's new

What Work Cloths Hold Up In The Trades Besides Carhartt?

I just picked up a pair of Dickie's regular fit, 5 pocket jeans. In "rigid blue" (almost a black/blue navy blue similar to the reissue Levi's). Just like the old Levi's that came stiff as a board and took a bunch of washes to get broken in. Brass zipper, orange double stitching. I removed the red dickies logo off the back pocket. Look just like retro Levi's that cost a whole lot more. Very heavy duty, thick denim. $20 a pair. Might be what you're looking for?

They are pre-shrunk and run large. You'll want to size down the waist one size and the length at least one size possibly two unless you want to cuff them.

When I worked (gee it's been a while) I wore a warehouseman apron.

They have a bib overall top with a farriers apron bottom (split legs) that attach around your legs. They are made or cloth not leather.

The ones I had wore like iron and gave good protection to your cloths

proxy.php

It didn't used to be that way. See post #21

I was responding to post #21.

Denim, by the way it's woven, is inherently more susceptible to tearing. That's the reason old jeans were extremely heavy weights. Plain weave treated cotton is by far the most durable organic fabric, and synthetics are many factors more durable than that. Kevlar and Cordura two notable examples.

I was responding to post #21.

Denim, by the way it's woven, is inherently more susceptible to tearing.

The denim jeans I'm wearing right now are bulletproof. I just hung up a pair of off the shelf Levi's for the last time that I've been wearing consistently for almost 20 years. Those jeans were also bulletproof (not a tear on them, just faded beyond belief, not an acid washed look fan had to retire them), the stock Levi's, etc, etc off the shelf these days? Hell no, I would totally have to agree with you on your statement I've quoted.
Over the years I've also worn paints made of different heavy duty sail/canvas material. They're a little lighter, tended chafe a bit, but were super durable. I'd wear them again if I had to. It just depends on what you need, look, or what your work dress code allows. Just throwing out options for the OP.

You can still buy "bullet proof" jeans, and not even at exorbitant cost. However that doesn't mean that denim is a particularly robust material for the weight. Synthetics are generally superior for workwear, but they cost a bit more, and some places (my job included) don't allow them due to their habit of fusing with your skin if you're ever in a fire.

Even under Nomex too. All natural fibers (cotton/wool/linen) for all clothing, and leather-only boots requirements are common. Even if the nomex doesn't burn, there's the possibility the fibers underneath could melt. Elastic waistbands in your underwear can be hazardous to your health in some situationshaha

Even under Nomex too. All natural fibers (cotton/wool/linen) for all clothing, and leather-only boots requirements are common. Even if the nomex doesn't burn, there's the possibility the fibers underneath could melt. Elastic waistbands in your underwear can be hazardous to your health in some situationshaha

Under Nomex? I'm talking about making the garments out of Nomex.

Nomex is specified in most fire hazard applications that I know of and have to deal with.

Another vote for checking out Duluth's Firehose Work Pants. I work in a plant, so my work pants won't see the abuse yours do, but they are very heavy, thick pants.

Also, if you do try some, be aware the Flex Firehose pants are significantly thinner and lighter than the original. But they are still heavier than Dickie's.

Under Nomex? I'm talking about making the garments out of Nomex.

Nomex is specified in most fire hazard applications that I know of and have to deal with.

It depends on the level of hazard. Often you'll just have the outermost garment required to be fire retardant (e.g. a jumpsuit/coveralls). In increasingly hazardous environments, then the requirements for FR "layers" can go up. We do a lot of work with pipelines, refineries, power substations, etc. so the hazard levels and requirements can vary depending on the client and situation.

It depends on the level of hazard. Often you'll just have the outermost garment required to be fire retardant (e.g. a jumpsuit/coveralls). In increasingly hazardous environments, then the requirements for FR "layers" can go up. We do a lot of work with pipelines, refineries, power substations, etc. so the hazard levels and requirements can vary depending on the client and situation.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I am asking what you mean by under nomex? Are you using that as a proper noun?

I was just giving an example of fire retardant synthetic fabric.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I am asking what you mean by under nomex? Are you using that as a proper noun?

I was just giving an example of fire retardant synthetic fabric.

I mean the clothing regs specify what you can wear underneath the FR/Nomex too. Unless you're one of those guys who goes commando underneath his jumpsuit. :lol:

Well, I suppose we'll see if the gentlemen are still here to comment after seven years!

For me, Carharrt quality has plummeted in recent years ever since they became 'work wear fashion', normally worn by folks who haven't seen a hard day's work in their lives

Honestly, there aren't many companies commonly available that I'd consider worth the money if you're really putting clothes to the test. Duluth trading company carries excellent stuff, but not cheap, by any means

For pants, our work issue pants are Wrangler Riggs Ripstop. For the price, they aren't pretty, but they hold up to abuse very well. Shirts? Something clean, comfortable, inexpensive and fits well. Carharrt shirts are OK, albeit amazingly huge. Work shirts are where I stop caring much, I'm far more concerned with pants and footwear

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Filson are hard wearing. I love their stuff. I have worn some of there stuff. It is tough.

If you want tough American made jeans, that are very affordable, these are your ticket!

https://www.baileysonline.com/wild-***-double-front-denim-logger-pants-p200wa-p200wa.html

Amazingly tough denim. Pure function. They also make a single front version that would be better for most.

Top Bottom