What's new

What type or brand of water filter do you use on a multi-day hike?

Double-checking, of course everyone knows to use coffee filters as a water intake pre-filter, but remember to also pack rubber bands.

AA

I've never done this, and never felt a need to. If I get a little sediment in my water it settles to the bottom and I pour it out when I get to it. Or drink it; it's just fiber.

I rigged up my camelbak where I attached a mini-sawyer filter to the output hose.

Is using a mini-sawyer with nothing else safe?

Is using a mini-sawyer with nothing else safe?

That's all I and many others use. One thing to keep in mind is that freezing will destroy the Sawyer so that it will act and look like it's working OK, but it's not really working (filtering out bacteria). Or so I've been told. So you might have to keep it in your sleeping bag.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've never done this, and never felt a need to. If I get a little sediment in my water it settles to the bottom and I pour it out when I get to it. Or drink it; it's just fiber.

Actually drinking out of a duck pond - filled with Canada geese - horrifies me, but hey. Liking that coffee filter thing.

I'm sure Bear Grylls would use his underwear as a prefilter...

I also am pleased to see the super-proliferation of water filters in general, in recent years. They used to be pricy niche items. Now Sawyers and LifeStraws are everywhere, and that's a very good thing.

Post hurricane (or choose your apocalypse), should be able to pick one up anywhere.

AA

Last edited:
I echo the Katadyn Hiker. Especially for anything within the US. Outside of the country you may need something to filter out viruses as well.

I like the Katadyn because, unlike the sawyer mini, you don’t really have to get down into the water source as much, you can just lay the hose in.

If you are going with a group though I agree that a gravity system may be a better option.

Happy hiking!

Top Bottom