What's new

What to serve with Texas Red chili?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The side could be conspicuous.

But you just cover it with your napkin...and wear an old shirt.

Frijoles are fully acceptable...on the side. Just not IN the chili.

Cornbread, crackers, and fritos are good in the chili also. I don't think mexican rice would go well on the side with chili though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
But you just cover it with your napkin...and wear an old shirt.

Frijoles are fully acceptable...on the side. Just not IN the chili.

Cornbread, crackers, and fritos are good in the chili also. I don't think mexican rice would go well on the side with chili though.
For Christmas lunch it was Texas Red and Delia's tamales. The crowd went wild with a quite yum sound.

Tamales-yes
Cornbread-of course
Beans-anyone who knows beans about chili knows you don’t put beans in chili.
If you’re serving Texas Red, crumble cornbread should pair perfectly and fill your gut. Washing it down with a Shiner is more than acceptable. A Pearl would make Chuck Norris happy.
Sour Cream, cheese, and onions are condiments that are loved with chili. Fritos and Tortilla chips are also favorites of many, and also acceptable.
Just say no to the beans if you can.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Use Texas Red as filling for your Tamales....maybe add a little cream cheese to thicken it up and add a little creaminess.

I've always wondered whats with Texans and their anti-bean hard stance. Probably like ketchup in Chicago...

I don't do Texas chili, as I prefer it with beans and maybe even a little spaghetti thrown in there, but I do agree with the cornbread. Chili and cornbread are great together.

Edited to add, while I'm stepping on culinary toes, that Chicagoans are dead wrong on hot dogs as well. Ketchup is good on hot dogs.

Also, anchovies and pineapple are heavenly on pizza.

There, I think I just offended about 70% of the US population. My work is done.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't do Texas chili, as I prefer it with beans and maybe even a little spaghetti thrown in there, but I do agree with the cornbread. Chili and cornbread are great together.

Edited to add, while I'm stepping on culinary toes, that Chicagoans are dead wrong on hot dogs as well. Ketchup is good on hot dogs.

Also, anchovies and pineapple are heavenly on pizza.

There, I think I just offended about 70% of the US population. My work is done.
I make chili with beans, but don’t call it Texas Red. I put ketchup on hot dog, but never Chicago style hot dogs.

I make chili with beans, but don’t call it Texas Red. I put ketchup on hot dog, but never Chicago style hot dogs.

Me too. I just disagree with the sentimentality trap that "______ ain't REAL ______ unless its made with________" that a lot of regional foods seem to fall into these days.

I will admit that I like to poke fun at the beef BBQ folks on occasion, but honestly its all good. Eat what you like.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Me too. I just disagree with the sentimentality trap that "______ ain't REAL ______ unless its made with________" that a lot of regional foods seem to fall into these days.

I will admit that I like to poke fun at the beef BBQ folks on occasion, but honestly its all good. Eat what you like.
Me too. I realize we have regional differences (BBQ is a fine example- pork v beef, mesquite v hickory, sauce v no sauce, sweet v tangy). All of it is good.

I hear what you're saying and can definitely understand that view. I'm of the opposite opinion though on this topic.
I like the regional traditions where strict rules apply!! I'll admit to putting a small line of ketchup on a hot dog one time in Chicago...and yeah it was good. I felt like a small part of me died that day though. SO I will NEVER do that again.

I can't weigh in on the hot dog thing as I don't like ketchup. I do have a few things I am picky about... Salmon should come from the pacific ocean - the stuff raised in farms in the Atlantic don't taste right to me. I am also picky about where I will eat sushi or chinese food. I don't care how many good reviews it has but I am very unlikely to eat at the Happy Palace Chinese Restaurant and Sushi bar when I am in Bazel.

Ruckin

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Spoon my chili over a bed of crumbled cornbread in a tall glass.
Same as with ice cold buttermilk.

And with chili Schlitz and/or Lonestar

I think a good case can be made for saying that, by definition, it's not possible to make chile con carne without both chiles and meat. It also seems reasonable to hold that if you keep adding things to a dish, eventually it becomes a different dish.

Texas Chili was a dish of the Texas range cooks, so it seems reasonable to say that it can't have ingredients that a range cook either wouldn't have had or wouldn't have included, and it's a fact that they didn't put beans in it.

I'm with chili historian Frank Tolbert on this one: most of what passes for chili in the US is really a delicately seasoned beef stew. It might be good (I do like Elizabeth Taylor's favorite), but it ain't chili.

I usually have my chili with a bit of grated white onion and crackers. Maybe some cheddar cheese. Corn bread if I have some. It makes great enchiladas, all rolled up in fried corn tortillas with onion and cheese.

Someday I hope to get my hand on a mess of marguts, so I can make a real Son of a Bi-... umm... , that is, Gentleman from Odessa stew.

Last edited:
Top Bottom