What's new

What to pay for a "new"?

What should the price range be for a very nice Gillette Ball End "New" in very good condition but without the original case? How often can one be found with no splits or cracks in the barrel?

I got an unused (NOS) NEW from the Bay for $15 plus shipping last year. I've seen them go for as little as $5 up to :eek: $50. I don't think I would spend more than $20 on one of these, even in great shape as they are common enough. Note, a mint NEW with a mint case will cost a premium (as does mint anything). The ball end models do have a propensity for cracked handles but not as badly as the older New Improved razors (Tuckaway, Bostonain, etc, etc).

One thing to note is that if you are bidding on these on Ebay you should probably ask the seller if the handle is cracked if that is a deal breaker for you. When you do the seller will post the response to the question and that will tend to drive up the price. The other strategy is to just take a chance and hope that the seller didn't hide the crack on the side of the handle facing away from the camera. Since you don't want cracks I think you need to go with the first option.

Lastly, if you end up with a NEW that you like and the handle has a crack or develops one, you can always replace the handle with one from a Ball End tech. Techs are very common and you can get these very cheaply from the Bay.

Good luck and happy hunting!

You are on the button with your estimates Dave. I have bought two NEWs a bar handle and a ball handle and neither cost more than $15 shipped. Both have no cracks in the handle but the bar handle does have some loss of gold on the top plate. No problem though as both are great shavers.

I also bought for $5 at an antique store a Hybrid Teck/NEW. The razor has the ball end handle of the Tech and the top of a Tech with the comb plate of a NEW. This one is a real shaver for sure.

I agree that "mint" NEWs will cost a premium. I suggest get one with no major cracks in the handle and one important thing that hasn't been mentioned no broken or bent teeth and of course good to very good cosmetic condition. Even if you find a NEW where the gold finish has been worn or polished completely off the top plate and or the handle the razor still looks great in the two tone. While not a real collector piece it is a nice looking everyday shaver.

Top Bottom