What's new

What temperature start affect tempering?

No, plastic is generally a good answer. Yes steam has a chance of warping your scales. Stick with a mild (quarternary, alcohol or other) chemical sanitization.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Methyl alcohol is much more effective than ethanol I believe. If you go to an auto parts store and get "HEET" brand gas treatment in the RED bottle not the yellow, it is I believe nothing but high concentration methanol. Somewhat toxic. PLEASE don't try to drink it! Probably shouldn't give your hand a prolonged soaking in it. It evaporates quickly. Keep it out of your eyes. Did I mention goggles? No? well then.

Sallys has barbicide. Don't use it straight. Just pour a shot glass full into a quart mason jar and top off with water. Soak your razor for a half hour or so. Let it dry. Germs dead. Benzyl alcohol is probably the most effective alcohol for killing germs. Benzyl benzoate is good, too.

Horn scales will get soft in a pressure cooker, I am sure. Then when they cool they will probably warp. Plastic? Depends, I guess.

Me, I just use my AS. If it can burn my face, it probably burns germs too. Clubman has plenty of burn. I have wiped blades with bleach and no harm done, but I wouldn't soak them in it unless it is a pretty weak solution. I do have barbicide on hand, and a fancy barbicide soaking jar, but I only use it when prepping a bunch of razors for sale or if I buy a big lot of them.

Barbicide wipes are very convenient for just one or two razors. I have some somewhere. Oh yeah I just found them. Not sure how effective the wipes are compared to a soak. MOST germs can't survive long or at least can't thrive on clean dry steel. YMMV. Feel lucky?

Soap and water before sanitizing/sterilizing agents. Crud gives germs a place to hide.

But as for temper, what they said. Most razors are tempered at around 350f or so. Any temp under 300f should be okay if it is not held there for hours and hours.

I think that you can get Barbicide at Sally's.

Thanx for the tip, but I live on the other side of the pond.

I guess I could bring an empty jar to my local haircut place and ask to buy some of the juice they use.

By now I have binned the steam boiling plan, consensus here seems to be its a bad idea.

It looks to be a pretty cleaned up blade I would guess risk is very low even if I would just shave with it right out of the box.

I go with what i have.
Some soap
Some 85% handsanitizer
Some mildish chlorine solution

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
The question was what temperature will affect tempering. I think we have got the answer. If the OP is worried about how long virus/bacteria survive outside the body he should google and trust his own research, or better yet....ask a professional. We are not going to debate it here.

Top Bottom