What's new

What style of razor head do you prefer: Gillette or Merkur?

What style of razor head do you prefer: Gillette or Merkur?

• Total voters
A simple question for you folks: Which style of razor head do you prefer: The Gillette style head seen on the Tech/Superspeed/Adjustable etc or the Merkur/Edwin Jagger/Muhle style head seen on the 34c, R89, DE89 etc

Personally prefer the Gillette head, all of my first razors were the merkur style... An r89 clone, a DE89, Lord L6, Yaqi final cut... But it wasn't until I tried out the "new" gillette tech, the 7 oclock sterling that i found I preferred that style, Now i've got a few techs, a slim adjustable, a superspeed clone and a British "rocket" on the way.

But what about you? Which do you prefer? Or is there another option that you prefer?

I get good results with the design of the Merkur progress. The timeless head is very similar in dimensions if you hold it up next to a progress.

with the Merkur 34c and Gillette tech designs, I have to be a little more careful in some areas, compared to the progress design.

Each face and whisker has a different preference.

For me, to blindly pick, I'll take an Edwin Jagger or Muhle 89 or the Gillette ball-end razor which is pretty similar. Some days, it is the Fatip Piccolo or Edwin Jagger 3one6, or Muhle Rocca, or even a Muhle R41!

I prefer different razors for different reasons on different days! Today, if I had to pick just one, it would probably be the Edwin Jagger 3one6! For most of my life, it has been an EJ89.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Neither one, as I don't use plain DE razors much.

I prefer the derivatives of a specific Merkur razor, the fabled "Super Slant" that the company made around the '50s.

O.H.

I'm not sure the head is what makes the bigest difference in a shave. A blade forward DE with a huge gap is not going to be the same as a mild razor no matter what top it has.
But if I had to choose, Gillette.

I much Prefer the DE89 and the 34c. Gillettes seem seem very mild in comparison, even the Red Tip. I also like the Maggard’s V3A, a bit more aggress than the DE89 I believe, but not at all like the R41.

Top Bottom