What's new

What soap/AS do you use that are NOT the same brand?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've found these to be a nice match

20230419_190748.jpg

I suppose it's quite satisfying to use a soap/cream and aftershave combo which complement or match each other, but the scent of most soaps is so mild and fleeting that I pretty much never bother. It's better to get an aftershave cologne combo which work together.

I love using matching sets - (Proraso, Cella, Musgo Real) but generally daily drive with Glyce pre-shave, Dr Selby's soap, and one of my 10 million aftershaves.

Anytime I use MWF I’ll combine a splash that’s seasonally appropriate, lavanille a lot in the cool months , a variety of soapy clean fresh aquatic type splashes in the summer months , cella splash now that I’ve acquired it.

I will say that I like to have complete sets, but sometimes that isn't possible, so I mix it up all the time. I have big bottles of Floid Blue and Vigoroso. Those go with Stirling Piacenza, WSP Barbershop, and B&M Seville. I will also use Talbots Chittenango Creek with Blue, but that soap is almost gone and there won't be more. I have some mild soaps like the old AOS Sandalwood and B&M Leviathan that pair well with cologne copies like WSP Olympus and Gaelic Tweed. I also have a tub of Captain's Choice unscented soap that of course goes with anything. I like to use Bay Rum soap with Bay Rum aftershave, but it doesn't have to be the same brand and I will use that unscented soap with them, too.

I only use Stirling soaps and in the past had matching AS's but in the past year since I've been using mostly glacial's I have settled on using Proraso Green as the only AS in my cabinet now...

Except for Captain's Choice soaps, I don't match aftershaves. No matter what shave soap I use, my aftershave is either Captain's Choice (BR, Co9T, or North), or Ogallala BR. If I shave at night, I sometimes just splash on TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel as aftershave.

I matched when I first started, but found that too often the aftershave scent either didn't match the soap, or hung around far too long. I don't want to smell my aftershave for hours. It gives me a headache. Back in the 1980s, I worked in an office with a boss, whose aftershave/cologne you could smell before you saw him. While it gave us a chance to disappear before he got to our cube, meetings in a closed room were torture. He also fancied himself a ladies man, but the gals make more fun of him behind his back than the guys.

I rarely use the same brand, and don't own any "sets". I do have some Pinaud soap and classic AS, and a tube of Old Spice cream and AS. I use those together even though the soaps smell different from the AS.

Generally, I just pair similar scents from different brands:

An example would be my MdC Agrumes and Pinaud Lime Sec - both citrus.

Really, I just avoid scents that clash or are very obviously different and try to pair scents of the same family: spicy, woodsy, floral, citrus...etc.

Except for Captain's Choice soaps, I don't match aftershaves. No matter what shave soap I use, my aftershave is either Captain's Choice (BR, Co9T, or North), or Ogallala BR. If I shave at night, I sometimes just splash on TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel as aftershave.

I matched when I first started, but found that too often the aftershave scent either didn't match the soap, or hung around far too long. I don't want to smell my aftershave for hours. It gives me a headache. Back in the 1980s, I worked in an office with a boss, whose aftershave/cologne you could smell before you saw him. While it gave us a chance to disappear before he got to our cube, meetings in a closed room were torture. He also fancied himself a ladies man, but the gals make more fun of him behind his back than the guys.

Yeah, I once read that "cologne (any worn fragrance) should be discovered, not announced" and always try to abide that recommendation.

I basically cheat by removing matching from the equation entirely.

I use unscented soaps and get my scent for the day from cologne. This way, I'm able to keep things simple and a clash never threatens.

I think I only own 1 or 2 matching sets so I use what ever I feel like on that day. I will say Aqua Velva Ice Blue goes with everything for me.

Top Bottom