What's new

What should I do?

For my birthday in June my parents offered to have the mechanicals on my truck repaired. We took it to a shop my Dad trusted but I don't on July 31st & the one man shop started on it on August 1st. With a promised completion dat of August 9th. He called that afternoon to say he would stay on the weekend & it would be ready the following Monday, August 12th. It is now August 19th & till don't have my truck back. While the work he was doing was involved & complicated as a former industrial equipment mechanic I know that the work that he was doing shouldn't take this long. I also know that he has another job involving trains or a rail road work. I have been either been driven, done without or borrowed my Mother's car when I needed to go somewhere. Tomorrow I have a VERY promising interview with a company in the next count west & could start as early as next Monday. I don't know what to do at this point as if I get the job I can't be driven or borrow a car to get to the place of employment. I have already explained to my folks that he has missed two promised delivery dates & think we should tell him it will be done on Wednesday at 4pm or we will tow it somewhere & he shouldn't expect to be paid.

What are your thoughts?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Charlie,

I think humanizing the necessity of having your motor vehicle back for your disposal is what you have to convey. You need to meet, face-to-face if possible, and explain that your hire-ability is at stake. Putting people in a position where they feel they are helping you empowers and compels them to get the job done. If he blows you off, then you can escalate the situation.

It all starts with the meeting.

Best of luck,
Mike

I start my new job tomorrow & I will be driving my Mother's car. He missed another promised delivery date. Today marked 3 weeks that he has had it.

I don't know what to do at this point. I have my truck but last night he called & said that the timing chain cover was leaking & when I crawled under it this evening it appears as if he used half a tube of RTV to fix the leak. Furthermore, I specifically asked him twice to replace the control arms as they have had a weld break on them twice. He just welded on them. I am now concerned with their structural integrity. Do I call the BBB or what do I do now? He is closed until Monday.

IMO it is very difficult to properly assess the mechanical situation second hand on the forum without seeing the workmanship to comment on that. The mechanic does sound like he has too many distractions. But since your parents are funding the work and using their trusted mechanic, I think you will have to sit tight and bear through the process. And appreciate their intentions, even if the mechanic is no good. Sounds like you have support of your family to borrow their car, so that is a big positive. Hopefully you and your parents can get through to the guy and he will get with it and finish the job ASAP.

After you get the truck back if you are concerned with the welding job or any other part of the repair, then you could take it to another shop for inspection and a second opinion. That would be my plan, to do it after the getting the truck back (if necessary) and not interrupt the process.....unless your parents also get fed up with the mechanic before the job can be completed and demand more action.

I'm not familiar with Indiana law, but in many states they are required to outline the work to be performed. If you said replace and he chose to weld, your family should not be responsible for those costs. If he can't deliver, pack it up and move on. There are too many shops with responsible hardworking individuals running them to stick around where it isn't a priority. I would also highly recommend your parents pick a new shop for their vehicles. Subpar work can be dangerous and shouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not familiar with Indiana law, but in many states they are required to outline the work to be performed. If you said replace and he chose to weld, your family should not be responsible for those costs. If he can't deliver, pack it up and move on. There are too many shops with responsible hardworking individuals running them to stick around where it isn't a priority. I would also highly recommend your parents pick a new shop for their vehicles. Subpar work can be dangerous and shouldn't be tolerated.
I think this about sums it up.

As to redress, maybe take it to a dealership, get a quote for fixing what remains, and take the first shop to small claims court, but going much further than that can make life difficult for all involved.

I'm watching my father in-law fight it out with everyone under the sun, and it is not enjoyable. If yours is a fight worth fighting, do so, but if it become protracted, you'll need to know when to call it quits.

Good luck,
Mike

I'm curious. What was the original repair that it went in for in the first place?

Front seal leak. Rear main seal leak. And I needed new lower control arms.

Today while driving home in 90* heat my cooling system sprung a leak from the lack of E fans. I had the windows down & the heater going full blast. I'm going to call him first thing in the morning.

Also while in the shop he discovered the intake gasket leaking & the timing chain had too much play in it so they got replaced.

The control module that controls my fans is fried. And the front of my engine is leaking oil & as down half a quart as of yesterday. There is a gouge in the paint & the antenna is bent. I really am at a loss for what to do.

While I'm not a fan of making one statement into 4 posts, I agree with Beeman. Either the car is dying or the repair man is a crook. Nothing to be lost looking elsewhere. Shops have been known to cause issues to find later.

Are the leaking, fried parts related to the original repair? You did not state the condition of the truck earlier, but if this was a used truck then there could have been many problems lurking there, and probably why the OP sold it. Just because there is a new leak it doesn't necessarily make the other repair bad. But clearly this is something to try and address with your father and shop that just repaired the vehicle if there is any chance that it was. Good luck with everything, I know this is frustrating.

Are the leaking, fried parts related to the original repair? You did not state the condition of the truck earlier, but if this was a used truck then there could have been many problems lurking there, and probably why the OP sold it. Just because there is a new leak it doesn't necessarily make the other repair bad. But clearly this is something to try and address with your father and shop that just repaired the vehicle if there is any chance that it was. Good luck with everything, I know this is frustrating.
My truck is 10 years old & ivwned it for the last eight.

Before he performed the work, did he provide a written estimate, of both work involved and timeframe for completion?

What method of payment was used?

Top Bottom