What's new

What paint to use in lucite handle?

I'm preparing to complete a restoration of a Klenzo lucite brush. After having drilled out the old knot and paint from the hole, am ready to re-paint the hole. I've heard of others using auto touch-up paint and Testor's model paint. Has anyone ever tried using nail polish? Do you see any problems with that? I figured that it's an enamel that dries hard so it ought to work fine. Any thoughts?

BTW, what color would look nice with a 2-band finest fan? Hmmm?

Following with interest as I have just got my hands on a lucite handle that originally had black and was also thinking of a change.

So far my thoughts are towards a dark metallic colour with a gold or silver fleck - been thinking of experimenting mixing straight gloss black with some gold glitter to see what will happen.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have no idea, but I thought it was the glue that was colored? If you paint it, the strength of the epoxy bond is compromised by the strength of the bond between the paint and the acrylic. Maybe if you slightly chamfer the bottom of the hole so that its bigger than the opening to prevent it from pulling out? Then again maybe it is just painted.

I've used the Testor's Enamel with good results. Inexpensive, and comes in a good variety of colors. Haven't had any problem with it interfering with the epoxy bonding.

I have no idea, but I thought it was the glue that was colored? If you paint it, the strength of the epoxy bond is compromised by the strength of the bond between the paint and the acrylic. Maybe if you slightly chamfer the bottom of the hole so that its bigger than the opening to prevent it from pulling out? Then again maybe it is just painted.

As a penmaker I, and most other penmakers, paint the inside of acrylic pen blanks to hide the brass tube that holds the pen parts in, and then epoxy the tube in. I've never experienced or heard of a pen failing that was made like this. I use an acrylic paint and Testors model paint is also very popular. You can color the epoxy by adding a few drops of paint to the epoxy as you mix it but the problem is making sure you get a good even coverage when gluing the knot in.

If you go to a hobby or model shop you can almost always find a Testors paint display with more colors than you ever imagine. Just be sure to check the paint type, they use to have flat, semi-gloss, and gloss. Some are even made specifically for use on boats that would go in the water. However there may be a limited number of colors in this category. :001_smile

I make models and glue to the paint in some instance. I know the big thing is let the oaint cure for the full time needed not just dry to the touch

Top Bottom