What's new

What makes DE blades "right" for you (me)

Hi all,

I've been reading tons of advice about trying DE samplers to determine the right blade. What exactly makes blades different? Is it the sharpness, grind angle, or something else? Does the same apply for a shavette?

Thanks,

Steve

Sharpness, smoothness, longevity, any irritation or nicks, cuts & weepers. These are pretty much all the criteria for blade testing.
Something like a Feather is usually though of as extremely sharp but perhaps not as smooth as some others. A Personna Red is generally classed as a very smooth, comfortable blade whilst not being anywhere near as sharp as a Feather.

I just tried originally and use the most popular brands - Feather, Gillette Silver Blues, Astra SP's, Gillette 7 O'clock Black. There are so many possibilities that you can drive yourself crazy if you try every one.

There are six or seven brands that everyone recommends. I would try those first and also one or two cheaper ones. If you can't tell the difference buy whichever is cheapest or perhaps the one that just strikes your fancy.

Speaking only from personal experience, I'd suggest a couple packs of Racer. Smooth, not too sharp, opened my eyes to the potential of shaving without a guard. Not durable, but beginners toss blades quick anyway. Cheap and simple.

Personna performs well across various dimensions. The closest shave comes from sliding the edge down the hair shaft within the follicles to cut near the root. Astra is kind of a let-down in a shavette, seems too broad-shouldered to really get in there. But it's a juggernaut in just about anything else, because the razor extracts hair like a sliver. "Sharp" blades, like Feather, pick my hair off too high, which can feel very rough. I liken that to the performance of a serrated steak knife. But if I had larger diameter, less bendable hair, Feather would be my choice, too.

Last edited:
When it feels like the razor doesn't even have a blade in it, yet it's removing whiskers...that's what one member described as "a spiritual experience"! :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B.

Blades in a DE might not work the same in a shavette.

Blades are a very personal matter. I have tried many kinds and brands of blades. My personal favorites are Personna Labs and Meds, Personna Reds, Lords, and Astras in that order. I like a blade that provides a close yet smooth shave.

Thanks for the replies. The shavette is coming with 100 Derby blades, which do not seem to have a stellar reputation. I guess some experimentation is on the horizon. Luckily most brands of blades seem to be pretty cheap!

Welcome to the forum Steve from another Steve! I can't speak to the shavette so i will leave that the shavetters.

Blade choice is very personal and that is why many suggest a blade sampler. I only recommend a sampler for shavers that have 2-3 months of shaving routine nailed down but I may be in the minority on that advice. Zygalski covered it well... we are all looking for a blade that is sharp, smooth, consistent and holds up well. There are many good and great blades out there but as we all like to say here nothing is more IMO/YMMV that blade choice (and soaps, and brushes, and...!)

Now that said, there are some blades that are "mostly" universally-regarded or on most top/go-to blade lists. Heck, I even have done some thread research to back that up! Data varies and not reliable but a solid Top Blade list includes (alphabetical order):
* - My always in rotation, go to, buy in bulk blades (FWIW, IMO)

*Astra Superior Platinum
Feather NEW Hi-Stainless
*Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black/Indian)
*Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Platinum ("Red/Israeli")
*Personna Super ("Lab/Blue")
Polsilver Super Iridium

Try any or a few of the above and you will be on your way. There is no one best blade or even the one blade for each person. I think that is why most of us have a few brands we like. When you find some really good blades and your shave technique is dialed in you really will see that you can shave with many different brands. Good luck and enjoy your shaves!

Welcome to B&B, Steve!

I would suggest trying at least 2 of each blade you are sampling. That way you can rule out dud blades and developing technique. You may even want to revisit some blades as your technique improves.

Hi all,

I've been reading tons of advice about trying DE samplers to determine the right blade. What exactly makes blades different? Is it the sharpness, grind angle, or something else? Does the same apply for a shavette?

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome Steve!

great to have you here!

As to your question about DE blades; Sharpness, Grind Angle, Blade Coating, Blade material, storage environment, and age of the blade all play a part in how any one blade "feels" when used on a beard. Also the razor used has some small influence, the pressure and consistency of the shave stroke plays a larger role in how a blade "feels". The Pre Shave prep has a large role as well in how a blade feels on the face. In short there are LOTS of variables in determining the "right" blade for you.

I would suggest if you are new to DE shaving that you pick one of the six or seven brands that most people on here recommend and buy yourself a three month supply and shave with nothing but that blade to learn and perfect your basic technique. Astra SP, PolSilver SI, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, Personna Med Prep, Personna Lab or Red, Any of the Russian Gillette or Indian Gillette blades are also favorites. Pick one of these that suits your fancy and give them a go.

As to shavettes, I will leave that to someone who has greater knowledge than I do. I have seen them and have used them on occasion, but know really nothing much other than that about them.

Good Luck and enjoy!
:a12:

*Astra Superior Platinum
Feather NEW Hi-Stainless
*Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black/Indian)
*Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Platinum ("Red/Israeli")
*Personna Super ("Lab/Blue")
Polsilver Super Iridium

I can get on board with those being a good starting point. That pretty much matches my research on top-used blades.

Welcome to B&B, Steve!

I would suggest trying at least 2 of each blade you are sampling. That way you can rule out dud blades and developing technique. You may even want to revisit some blades as your technique improves.

I agree with this advice, but only after you've developed your initial technique.

To answer your original question, there are certainly differences in edge angles, coatings, blade thicknesses, quality control, etc. that lead to the various blades performing differently. As to why some blades work well for some people and not for others, or why you might like a particular blade in one razor and not so much in another, I have no idea.

I recommend newbies try one blade of each of the brands above for one shave each, and pick the one that feels the best. Buy enough of those for 30 days, and use them exclusively to develop technique. Then you can go back and re-evaluate blades with more confidence that the results are based on the blade and not on your technique that day.

Dion stole my answer while I was typing (and probably said it better).

I agree with this advice, but only after you've developed your initial technique.
++1!
As to why some blades work well for some people and not for others, or why you might like a particular blade in one razor and not so much in another, I have no idea.
++++10! This is the mystery of the ages!

I recommend newbies try one blade of each of the brands above for one shave each, and pick the one that feels the best. Buy enough of those for 30 days, and use them exclusively to develop technique. Then you can go back and re-evaluate blades with more confidence that the results are based on the blade and not on your technique that day.
++++100! I have shared and re-shared that advice, the biggest lesson I have learned. I can now go back and use any of the blades I put in the drawer including Derby & store-branded who know what and I can get great shaves with any of them.

Carry on friend!

Last edited:
Sounds like some more blades will be in my future. USPS is running late today and I'm getting more and more nervous thinking about using a shavette for the first time. :ohmy: Fingers are crossed I don't hack up my face, haha.

The first blades I used when I came back were Dorco (300's IIRC) for several months. Not horrible, not great. I still have some left. Picked up some CVS blades (I believe they are Personnas) not bad, then space_cadet PIF'd me a variety of things. So far I like the Silver Blues best of the ones I have tried.

Top Bottom