What's new

What magazines do you read/subscribe to?

With magazines covering just about every topic, there simply isn't enough time for me to read everything that I want to.

I subscribe to Cigar Aficionado, National Geographic, and the NRA American Hunter. Occasionally I will buy Mother Earth News and Ol' Skool Rodz Kulture. I generally read magazines on my lunch hour or when smoking cigars on my cigar patio.

What do you gentlemen read?

DL

For now I only have a subscription to Wired. Wish I had more time for idle reading, but with two kids, full-time work, night school, and community service my free time is spread pretty thin. It ususally takes me a full month to get through that one issue of Wired, just in time for the arrival of the next issue.

I get Entertainment Weekly and Esquire. I was always trying to find a really good music magazine but it seems none within my price-range are that great.

I don't subscribe to anything right now, but magazines I like to read include: The Atlantic, The NY Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Powder, Free Skier, and anything related to cycling.

None currently.

Magazines I have had subscriptions to in the past: Metric Roadbike, Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off Road, Popular Science, Outdoor Life

Mini Truckin' & Esquire. I am a little perturbed at Mini Truckin' right now because the resuscribe letters they send me in the mail charge more money than if I go to Barnes & Noble & rip a subscription flyer out of one magazine on the shelf. I personally think it is a little underhanded to charge a layal customer more than someone who is just starting to suscribe. :mad3:

Up until recently, the only mag I got was "Linux Format." But, I've recently decided not to renew as the price (which has always been high) has become just absurd.

I personally think it is a little underhanded to charge a layal customer more than someone who is just starting to suscribe. :mad3:
Your post itself should give you insight into why they do what they do. You're a loyal customer, as you admit, to Mini Trucking. They know that, and they also know they already have you in the fold. They only have to worry about you if you don't renew. The possible "future" subscriber hasn't committed yet. Thus, he gets thrown the bone.

You are a wise man to subscribe to Esquire. There is a little too much high end froo-froo clothing being advertised, but that pays the bills and helps subsidize my inexpensive subscription. I have been a loyal reader and subscriber for about 25 years. Not every issue is a home run for my particular interests, but I have yet to encounter another periodical that has such consistent great writing and subject choices.

My Esquire subscription has averaged about $7.00 or $7.50 per annum since I've had it. That's for a dozen issues. They are very good about letting you see a flyer or card somewhere offering a great low rate or gift rate and calling them and adding a couple of years to your subscription at that teaser rate. I'm consistently paid up three or four years in advance. I just renewed at a Christmas gift rate and added two years to my subscription for five dollars a year.

I get Zymurgy, but only because you automatically get subscribed when you join the American Homebrewers Association.

Right now, it's Golf, PC World and Consumer Reports.

I get more than I was aware of. In addition to those above, I also get Motor Trend, JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine as well as half a dozen more sent here for my wife and children. If I didn't have kids selling magazines for school fundraisers, I would read most of these on-line and save a few trees (and dollars). I quit buying the local newspaper when asked to by a patient of mine, a reporter, during a newspaper strike. I found I didn't miss it at all and have got my news on-line for a couple of years now. Unfortunately for both my local paper and the unionized employees, it seems I'm not alone. The subscription rate has never recovered from the customers who left during the strike.

Don't subscribe to any currently.

In the past, I've subscribed to Playboy (can't believe no one here has mentioned it), Men's Health, Zymergery, Brewing Techniques, Brew Your Own, and finally, Esquire.

It's funny-my wife began reading my Playboys when we met. Once she read a few, it was HER looking forward to the monthly delivery and I was the one that got to read it second hand a few days after it arrived. On several gift-giving occasions, she would inform me that she had renewed "our" subscription as MY gift. Didn't mean that I got to read it first.

To us, Playboy is a better written, more hip, intelligent version of Esquire.

Just two magazines on subscription right now, The Atlantic Monthly and Men's Journal.
I read Wired when I am at the public library.

Top Bottom