What's new

What lasts longer?

So I am eyeing this year's One Blade In February challenge should it be revived for this year. Which combo lasts longer for you folks, assuming the shaving technique remains the same like short strokes on a shallow angle, etc.?

• Aggressive razor with a mild blade
  • Mild razor with a sharp blade
  • Aggressive razor with a sharp blade
  • Mild razor with a mild blade

So I am eyeing this year's One Blade In February challenge should it be revived for this year. Which combo lasts longer for you folks, assuming the shaving technique remains the same like short strokes on a shallow angle, etc.?

Define "aggressive" then indicate which blade, and then which razor in each category.

If you want a 10 page thread it's the only way to go with everyone's 'perfect' theory being showcased! :wink2:

Seriously, YMMV.

Define "aggressive" then indicate which blade, and then which razor.

If you want a 10 page thread it's the only way to go with everyone's 'perfect' theory being showcased! :wink2:

Seriously, YMMV.
Yes, of course, it's all subjective anyway. I'm content to read opinions.

But to answer your question:

In my opinion and experience, the Fatip Grande is aggressive. It has more blade exposure compared to my Van Der Hagen TTO or Gillette Tech. The Tech is the mildest.

These are the razor blades I have tried in order of (perceived) sharpness from greatest to least: Gillette Nacet, Astra Superior Platinum (Indian), Flydear Platinum, Treet Platinum, Big Ben Stainless, Treet Falcon, Doalco Stainless, Pearlmax Super Platinum. I have a few other razor blades I haven't tried yet, so they aren't included here.

Yes, of course, it's all subjective anyway. I'm content to read opinions.

But to answer your question:

In my opinion and experience, the Fatip Grande is aggressive. It has more blade exposure compared to my Van Der Hagen TTO or Gillette Tech. The Tech is the mildest.

These are the razor blades I have tried in order of (perceived) sharpness from greatest to least: Gillette Nacet, Astra Superior Platinum (Indian), Flydear Platinum, Treet Platinum, Big Ben Stainless, Treet Falcon, Doalco Stainless, Pearlmax Super Platinum. I have a few other razor blades I haven't tried yet, so they aren't included here.
Use the Nacet with the Tech and shave every day. Less stress on the blade edge, increased longevity, comfortable shaves. A single XTG/ATG hybrid pass will be fine. Daily shaving keeps the lawn mown well. Your skin should acclimatise to it quite quickly. Use good prep and post shave balm.

Don't chase BBS in the event. You won't need to.

Best way to get through it IMO. Just my theory.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this bad boy I have. This "toothpick" razor actually is scary. It is super lightweight so some pressure is needed and has a huge amount of blade feedback. I'm not sure I even can contemplate shaving for a full month with it, much less with a "sharp" razor blade. It is definitely the most aggressive razor I own.

toothpick.jpg

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
@Alum Ladd is right, don't chase a BBS, I find the best way is to go for comfort. As long as you don't try to get too much from the blade it will last.

Firstly your technique will be the determining factor in whether you get the blade to last the month. Do not go for a BBS every shave and try to keep a consistent technique.

Secondly the blade you choose will be the next major factor in whether it will last the month. Choose a good blade that works for you. My first blade to last the month was a BIC Chrome Platinum, but my technique is such now that I could do it with almost any decent blade

Thirdly soap has it role to play, some soaps are just slicker than others and especially when you are reaching the end of the month and the blade may drag a bit soap can make all the difference.

Personally I use a progression of razors starting with mild (R89) and moving up in aggression to the R41 with maybe 3 or 4 razors in between. I find that allows me to prolong the life of the blade, but YMMV.

Blade care will also help, I always remove my blade from the razor after the shave, clean it under running water and PAT the blade dry (not wipe). Then I store it in its paper until the next shave. That said plenty of the good members of B&B just stick the blade in any old razor and keep shaving and that works for them.

Also don't bin a blade just because you have a couple of rubbish shaves with it, it may just be an issue of using a different razor or adjusting your technique

Hope this helps

I use all my blades with all my razors. And I toss out all the blades after 3-4 uses.

I don't really see the appeal in trying to find out when the blade will start tugging, cause a nick or a cut or irritation. Seems weird to me considering the cost of razor blades.

Top Bottom