What's new

What kinda turkey?

We've got one wandering the neighborhood.

Looks tasty

Need to take a newer pic. Much larger and iridescent now

proxy.php

That is free range!

We're doing Friendsgiving (Thanksgiving with a bunch of friends instead of family) and we're just doing a 20 pound grocery store turkey. To be fair, there will be a mountain of other, homemade foods and beer. Usually, its enough food to feed several armies but thats what the holidays are all about.

A local grocery chain, where we rarely shop mostly out of habit, had birds for a ridiculously low price so we snarfed up one of those. My wife does the roasting and she has her own stuffing recipe. I'll do the gravy, bread and the turkey broth later. I might even attempt a pie crust. We'll see.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
None this year. Wife had back surgery two weeks ago, and got a compression fracture. Took her in today, and she may come home Thursday.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, wife will be staying in the hospital after surgery, so none. Luckily, the other day I bought a loaf of pumpernickel, a pound of Boars Head Maple Glased Honey Coat ham, and Swiss cheese. I just need to fry up a few pieces of bacon to make my favorite sandwich- Pig on Pig Crime.

We came back from Indiana and the Smoky Mountains (where we had wild turkeys wandering around as well as
proxy.php

Arrived home Monday night and Tuesday and since my wife had a chemo treatment I will be responsible for the Thanksgiving meal. My mission was to find a fresh turkey that did not need defrosting. Found a 12 pound bird and got that home along with some other goodies. We will forego the stuffing this year since it is only the two of us. The menu: deviled eggs, Turkey, mashed potatoes, fresh string beans, and cranberry salad.

However Whole Foods does it! Lots of folks for Thanksgiving this year. Would rather spend time with them!
Turns out Balducci's not Whole Foods, and Balducci's sells it to one raw and ready to go into the oven. Instructions said to cook until thigh was 185 and breast 175. I took ten degrees off each number per America's test Kitchen and it was near perfect.

Instructions said to cook until thigh was 185 and breast 175.
That seems an overabundance of caution. I'd say lopping off 10 degrees was about right. I think they write those instructions with the assumption that most people are clueless about food handling -- and they're probably right.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That seems an overabundance of caution. I'd say lopping off 10 degrees was about right. I think they write those instructions with the assumption that most people are clueless about food handling -- and they're probably right.
Another factor - most people use cheap, inaccurate bi-metal temperature probes.

And this is my favorite brine:

Alton Brown Orange Juice Brine

That's a great brine! However, this is the first year I skipped the brine and opted to inject instead. With the caveat that I didn't eat the whole bird* myself, I'd say the difference was negligible. Maybe the white meat was bit more firm but just as juicy. I'll probably save myself the trouble of brining in the future.

*Jenny-O 12-pound turkey. $.39/lb at Jewel! That's the advantage of a salmonella scare. (No disrespect intended to those affected.)

Top Bottom