What's new

What kinda turkey?

What are you gonna cook this year? Spartan brand frozen turkey breast? Full on 25 pound Amish free range turkey? Boneless breast? Organic, vegan raised, Montessori educated turkey from Holy Foods?

While my preference is a bone-in breast, was overruled by the boss lady. Bought a 14 pound Butterball turkey at Meijer for $14.

BTW, we all know by the time the dark meat is done, the breast can overcook a tad. Half an hour prior to roasting, I place an ice filled baggie or two on the breast of a whole turkey. (Discard before placing bird in oven, of course.) This chills the white meat and helps the bird to roast evenly.

You going to brine? Dry brine? Spatchcock? Stuff?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a good question, as I plan on doing a couple. HEB has their "nothing fancy" turkeys on sale for 0.99/lb, so I'll probably get one of those. I think I might also try a "free range" turkey that clocks in at about three times the price for comparison.

I expect to brine and smoke both and stuff or baste neither. Whenever I've adequately brined a turkey and monitored the breast and thigh temperatures, I've not had a problem with drying out the breast meat.

I might throw an extra couple of legs in there, too. Those tend to move.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
And this is my favorite brine:

Alton Brown Orange Juice Brine

1 qt vegetable stock, chilled (regular, not low sodium - that's important)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns (I usually use more like 1 tbsp, but I like pepper)
2 bay leaves
1 qt. orange juice, chilled
2 qts. ice water

Bring 2 cups of the stock, the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves to a boil. Dissolve the sugar and salt, and cut the fire. Add in the remaining stock, orange juice, and ice water. Once the brine has cooled to 40F or under, add the meat and keep in a cold place (under 40F). Brine for 8-48 hours.

This is enough for 2 chickens, one turkey, one pork butt, or about one pork loin. For chickens, I like to skin and cut into quarters. You can fit one chicken's worth of quarters in a one gallon Ziplock baggie with enough room for brine. If I don't use the Ziplock baggies, I put everything in a food grade plastic bucket.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I cook this year at all (since wife’s back surgery, she doesn’t want anyone over this year) it will be a breast or two in the oven. I like chicken dark meat but not turkey.

I will be frying 4 or five at the church as usual.

1123171205.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Bone-In fresh breast, dry brined for a couple days, cooked on the BGE.

For the past decade or so, we've surrendered to the convenience of what I call a "turkey bomb".
proxy.php

Perfect for a family of four adults.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I’m going with a free range while bird. I follow the cook’s illustrated recipe for crispy skin roast turkey, but don’t do the brine.

Edit: It will be served with this dressing: Cornbread Stuffing

That stuffing sounds very good. Mine is similar but I use Owens or Jimmy Deans Hot sausage. I like chorizo so I may try that. My problem has always been finding GOOD chorizo. A lot of brands cook away to mostly nothing but grease.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
... I like chorizo so I may try that. My problem has always been finding GOOD chorizo. A lot of brands cook away to mostly nothing but grease.

Agreed, I'm considering making my own. I'm still researching but it looks like a pretty simple process...

We've got one wandering the neighborhood.

Looks tasty

Need to take a newer pic. Much larger and iridescent now

proxy.php

Top Bottom