What's new

What is your SECOND favorite type of writing instrument?

What is your second favorite type of writing instrument?

• Fountain pen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dip pen

• Ballpoint

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Gel pen

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Liquid ink rollerball

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Felt tip pen

• Sharpie

• Wooden pencil

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Mechanical pencil

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Other (please specify in replies)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
By writing instrument I mean something used primarily for writing, although of course you may draw with it or use it for emergency self defense as well.

For myself, and I expect for many others who come here, my favorite type of writing instrument is a fountain pen. I use these for my journal, work and personal notebooks, and just about anything else where I want to write in ink. Sometimes a ballpoint or a Sharpie is better for a specific task, of course.

But what about second favorites? In my case, it would be a mechanical pencil. I use these for drawing, for stop and start note taking in meetings or when on the phone, and for doing crossword puzzles, mostly from books.

Yes yes, I know. You do your crossword puzzles in ink. But that's only because you're awesome. I use a pencil.

So hopefully this poll shows correctly. What is your second favorite?

Yes yes, I know. You do your crossword puzzles in ink. But that's only because you're awesome. I use a pencil.
I voted for mechanical pencil, but for crosswords I like to use a Pilot FRIXION Erasable Gel Rollerball pen (or similar pen). I would not trust it for anything I need to archive, but it's great for revising things like notes in a script where the director is liable to change their mind several times.

I voted gel rollerball... Currently my favorite is Pentel Energel which I just discovered. I have tried so many gels or liquid rollerballs - they all dry out and skip. We will see with the Energel. Fountain pen is king for my primary.

The cheap BIC ballpoint. You can get tons of line variation an shading from it, most of the R&D draft work/rapid vis is done on ballpoint BIC before I switch over to FP. Pilot also makes a very excellent refill for it, both in 0.5 and 0.7 size, I used to buy them in bulk as I can finish a ballpoint within 2 days. In my industry segment, you'll be surprise how often you see someone using a FP. Usually they guy is heavily into the old fashion mechanical craft like mechanical watch, car, bike and wet shaving.

The ballpoint BIC in 0.7 line width is more controllable than gel/rollerball(from pilot, parker to montblanc) for me. I never work with a pencil/mechanical pencil in my adult life other than laying out line with construction Home Depot construction fattie pencil.

Big fan of the Pentel Kerry mechanical pencil.

I got a 0.7 mm Kerry fairly recently. The capped design makes it a very practical take anywhere pencil.

My vintage Esterbrook pencils are also very good for shirt pocket carry. Thicker leads, of course.

Right now I am using a Tul Fine point pen in black which I would like if it was blue. I bought some Pilot G2 in .38mm but they are too fine. But they work really well with my planner. I can almost read my handwriting.
I prefer a .5mm dark soft mechanical pencil like a 3B or so

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do you have a particular brand that suits you, Doug?

Not really, Bob. But I don't use cheap poorly made modern ones and prefer to use vintage American. The quality of even Dixon Ticonderoga has dropped off recently and they don't say 'made in USA' any longer.

full

A Fisher Space pen was my go to pen before FPs. Were I to use anything but a FP, itd be that.

I rarely use pencils these days, but it would be a mechanical .5, and a .9 when I was flying because it wouldn’t break the lead from vibrations.

I voted for mechanical pencil. Specifically a cheap Papermate Clear Point .5 with HB lead. These things are so comfortable in my hand. My third choice is Pilot Gel in .5. I have a Pilot Metro Rollerball for this. Last in the list is my Jotter with a space pen refill.

Top Bottom