What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

What is your favorite bait casting reel?

I have bought a lot of bait casting reels over the years but I must say that my favorite is the Abu Garcia 5500c. As a matter of fact I just had my 1979 model rebuilt and it is better than ever. What is YOUR all time favorite?
​ $1000x500px-LL-ee50cad9_IMG_20110623_161218.jpg

That's a great reel you have there! Similar to yours, my favorite baitcaster is an Abu Garcia 5501 C3. I prefer to reel with my left hand, thus the left-handed model.

I like the all-metal construction, and the manufacturing quality speaks for itself.

I'm a big Shimano fan, I'm primarily a bass guy. I've had a ton of their Curado models over the years and currently have 4 + a Citica. I could happily fish for the rest of my days with them alone.

Argonaut

Moderator Emeritus
It's hard to beat the Abu Garcia line of bait casters, the 5500c is right at the top. I have the Black Max from '92. I tube fish a lot and that thing has been submerged more times than I can remember, still going strong.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have a couple of that style of reel, and just prefer open bail, Zebco, or fly. I find the action clumsy. What am I missing? I often fish rivers, or I am drift fishing on my Dad's boat when I can visit him in the summer.

Phil

When I was a kid back in the 60's, my late father always used Pflueger reels. He swore by them. So a couple of years ago I got a little nostalgic and bought a Pflueger Patriarch. This thing had everything, 11 ball bearings, 7:1:1 gear ratio, star drag with carbon fiber washers, duel casting system featuring centrifugal and magnetic braking system, and a titanium coated vented spool. It had all the bells and whistles, but I just could not get used to it, so I got my old trusty Garcia out again. In this case YMMV counts. But I am sure there are others out there who just love this reel.

PPTCR-1.jpg (34.0 KB)

Attachments

I have a couple of that style of reel, and just prefer open bail, Zebco, or fly. I find the action clumsy. What am I missing? I often fish rivers, or I am drift fishing on my Dad's boat when I can visit him in the summer.

Phil
+1 On the drift fishing in your dad's boat, sounds like a lot of fun. I too enjoy, have and use Spinning and Spincast reels all the time. But for me, there is just something special about using a bait caster. I guess it is like the difference between shaving with a DE or a Str8t, both get the job done but in a different way. I find that I fish more efficiently with a bait casting reel. You just push the button and cast and if you are fishing from a boat that is constantly moving, flipping the bail every time you cast gets a little tiring especially after 40 or 50 casts. YMMV

...the 5500c...that thing has been submerged more times than I can remember, still going strong.
To quote a famous commercial for another product, "It takes a licking..." :001_smile

Phil
I prefer fly-fishing or spinning gear in those situations, too.

...So a couple of years ago I got a little nostalgic and bought a Pflueger Patriarch...
Sure is purty, though!

Depends on what I am trying to catch. I find a decent Zebco performs well. I may have to give the Abu a try.
You make a good point. I use my Abu Garcia 5500C for casting out of a boat while fishing for Bass and Muskie. I use an Diawa Ulta-Lite Spinning reel for trout and I use an Abu Garcia 6500C3s and 7000Bs with casting rods for Catfish.

The 5500c is definitely for what I call "Glamour Fishing". You know, like the pros, out of a nice bass boat, with a full cooler and of course sun glasses .:lol:

Top Bottom