What's new

What is your favorite bait casting reel?

I have bought a lot of bait casting reels over the years but I must say that my favorite is the Abu Garcia 5500c. As a matter of fact I just had my 1979 model rebuilt and it is better than ever. What is YOUR all time favorite?
​ $1000x500px-LL-ee50cad9_IMG_20110623_161218.jpg

That's a great reel you have there! Similar to yours, my favorite baitcaster is an Abu Garcia 5501 C3. I prefer to reel with my left hand, thus the left-handed model.

I like the all-metal construction, and the manufacturing quality speaks for itself.

I'm a big Shimano fan, I'm primarily a bass guy. I've had a ton of their Curado models over the years and currently have 4 + a Citica. I could happily fish for the rest of my days with them alone.

It's hard to beat the Abu Garcia line of bait casters, the 5500c is right at the top. I have the Black Max from '92. I tube fish a lot and that thing has been submerged more times than I can remember, still going strong.

Attachments

• $Waltz_reels.jpg
    $Waltz_reels.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I have a couple of that style of reel, and just prefer open bail, Zebco, or fly. I find the action clumsy. What am I missing? I often fish rivers, or I am drift fishing on my Dad's boat when I can visit him in the summer.

Phil

When I was a kid back in the 60's, my late father always used Pflueger reels. He swore by them. So a couple of years ago I got a little nostalgic and bought a Pflueger Patriarch. This thing had everything, 11 ball bearings, 7:1:1 gear ratio, star drag with carbon fiber washers, duel casting system featuring centrifugal and magnetic braking system, and a titanium coated vented spool. It had all the bells and whistles, but I just could not get used to it, so I got my old trusty Garcia out again. In this case YMMV counts. But I am sure there are others out there who just love this reel.

PPTCR-1.jpg (34.0 KB)

Attachments

• $PPTCR-1.jpg
    $PPTCR-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 46
I have a couple of that style of reel, and just prefer open bail, Zebco, or fly. I find the action clumsy. What am I missing? I often fish rivers, or I am drift fishing on my Dad's boat when I can visit him in the summer.

Phil

+1 On the drift fishing in your dad's boat, sounds like a lot of fun. I too enjoy, have and use Spinning and Spincast reels all the time. But for me, there is just something special about using a bait caster. I guess it is like the difference between shaving with a DE or a Str8t, both get the job done but in a different way. I find that I fish more efficiently with a bait casting reel. You just push the button and cast and if you are fishing from a boat that is constantly moving, flipping the bail every time you cast gets a little tiring especially after 40 or 50 casts. YMMV

...the 5500c...that thing has been submerged more times than I can remember, still going strong.
To quote a famous commercial for another product, "It takes a licking..." :001_smile

Phil
I prefer fly-fishing or spinning gear in those situations, too.

...So a couple of years ago I got a little nostalgic and bought a Pflueger Patriarch...
Sure is purty, though!

Depends on what I am trying to catch. I find a decent Zebco performs well. I may have to give the Abu a try.

You make a good point. I use my Abu Garcia 5500C for casting out of a boat while fishing for Bass and Muskie. I use an Diawa Ulta-Lite Spinning reel for trout and I use an Abu Garcia 6500C3s and 7000Bs with casting rods for Catfish.

The 5500c is definitely for what I call "Glamour Fishing". You know, like the pros, out of a nice bass boat, with a full cooler and of course sun glasses .:lol:

Top Bottom