What's new

What is your favorite adjunct lager?

What is your favorite adjunct lager?

• Total voters
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything recent and tastes change, so I thought I'd ask. I recently read somewhere that a person referred to themselves as a beer geek, not a beer snob and I liked that. I'd put myself in that category. I don't trash on anything that someone else likes just because it isn't my preference. American Adjunct Lagers don't get much love from craft beer drinkers and some people use fairly derogatory terms about what's in the beer or the type of people who drink those beers (I've never seen that on B&B, but other forums).

Right now, I'm really enjoying Coors Banquet. In fact, I have no problem saying I like it better than any basic lagers I've tried at local craft breweries. My experience with the craft breweries is they try to add... something? (unusual flavors, more hops, etc.) to the basic lager and more often than not, it doesn't work for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to stop trying everything new that comes out from my favorite craft breweries, but I have no problem keeping a few cans of Coors or other macro adjunct lagers in my fridge (especially over the summer).

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Right now, I'm really enjoying Coors Banquet. In fact, I have no problem saying I like it better than any basic lagers I've tried at local craft breweries.
Coors Banquet is my goto for hot summer days. Founders Solid Gold is another good summer day beer. Both are very refreshing and easy drinking.

I like what I call “regular American beer”, i.e., Miller, Bud, Hamm’s, Coors, PBR, Narragansett, National Bohemian, Rolling Rock, etc., certainly in preference to craft beers, which are predominantly over-hopped and almost too-flavorful.

My favorite beers are Mexican: Corona, Corona Lite, Sol, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Jalisco. I’m not a fan of Modelo or Tecate.

Two beers that I liked in my youth but are hard to find now are San Miguel and Estrella de Galicia.

Among the non-Mexican beers I like are Peroni and Heineken, two beers very similar in flavor. American Heineken has a skunky finish that I particularly like. It likely comes from the travails of the long journey to our shores

Last edited:
I agree with @Quaznoid on the micro brewery trend of over hopping everything. Can’t count the number of times I’ve looked at a local beer list and it’s 90% variations of IPAs.

I don’t have beer very often anymore. When I do, I usually have a Guinness.

I agree with @Quaznoid on the micro brewery trend of over hopping everything. Can’t count the number of times I’ve looked at a local beer list and it’s 90% variations of IPAs.

I don’t have beer very often anymore. When I do, I usually have a Guinness.
While I will drink an IPA now and then, they are over-represented in trendy, hipster-type restaurants. One reason for this, I think, is that micro-breweries can more easily and quickly get a top-fermenting ale out the door and bringing in revenue, while a bottom-fermenting lager has to sit around in a cold place for a few weeks before it can be shipped.

But I think Blue Moon is a thing most of us agree should be un-invented, like asparagus or the atomic bomb. I was a regular at a Mexican bar and grill in Columbus (Juanita's Tacos) and one day I just asked them about their draft Blue Moon.

"Do a lot of customers buy that?"

They were kind of wishy-washy in their response. And I asked why not get rid of that and add another Mexican brand? A few weeks later, Blue Moon was out and Pacifico was in.

I used to make beer. Surprisingly simple. I made an ale, heating the wert on top of the stove, hopping it, letting it cool then adding yeast and into the dark, warm kitchen cupboard for a week. Then I’d add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle, funnel in the brew, cap it, shake it and back into the warm, dark cupboard. After another week, refrigerate it and enjoy.

I could have a batch in the bottles and a new one in the keg producing about a case and a half a week, more than I could drink. It worked out to about $6 a case.

My brewing ended when I had a bottle explode in the kitchen. If you know where to look you can see the stains on the ceiling.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like @Quaznoid's picks. My faves include Michelob Ultra Gold, Corona Light, Pacifico, Dos Equis amber, and Heineken. I am another who is not fond of Modelo. I used to love Carlsburg but hardly ever see it. For NA I like Heineken 0.0 and Stella. The other night I had Taj Mahal for the first time with pakoras, lamb rogan josh, and some spiced okra dish. Superb. Better than my usual mango lassi.

I used to make beer. Surprisingly simple. I made an ale, heating the wert on top of the stove, hopping it, letting it cool then adding yeast and into the dark, warm kitchen cupboard for a week. Then I’d add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle, funnel in the brew, cap it, shake it and back into the warm, dark cupboard. After another week, refrigerate it and enjoy.

I could have a batch in the bottles and a new one in the keg producing about a case and a half a week, more than I could drink. It worked out to about $6 a case.

My brewing ended when I had a bottle explode in the kitchen. If you know where to look you can see the stains on the ceiling.
Were you single or had a really comprehensive wife ? Because that must have stinked the house real good with those boiling hops ... just speaking of experience as a fellow ex kitchen brewer.

Top Bottom