What's new

What is the best daily use cart razor?

fusion proshield or mach3 turbo?

• fusion proshield

• mach3 turbo

Results are only viewable after voting.
hi guys, I'll be shaving my beard everyday for almost a year with the exception of a few weeks in between. I was thinking what is the best cart razor for daily use. I do have the gillette fusion proshield already, but will a 5 blade razor cause any skin damage over the time when shaving daily? would a 3 blade razor be better on the skin for the long term or is it just the same? i was thinking about getting the mach3 turbo, do you think i should get one or should i just stay with my fusion?

ps. I can't ues a safety (which i usually use) or a straight razor for some reasons.
also my beard isn't that coarse and thick it's just average. and i don't experience ingrown hair.
maybe mach3 turbo carts are cheaper but i guess the fusion ones last longer.

Last edited:
hi guys, I'll be shaving my beard everyday for almost a year with the exception of a few weeks in between. I was thinking what is the best cart razor for daily use. I do have the gillette fusion proshield already, but will a 5 blade razor cause any skin damage over the time when shaving daily? would a 3 blade razor be better on the skin for the long term or is it just the same? i was thinking about getting the mach3 turbo, do you think i should get one or should i just stay with my fusion?

ps. I can't ues a safety (which i usually use) or a straight razor for some reasons.
also my beard isn't that coarse and thick it's just average. and i don't experience ingrown hair.
maybe mach3 turbo carts are cheaper but i guess the fusion ones last longer.

EDIT: i also can't use a single blade razor the idea is blades won't be allowed in the first place that's why i can't use my safety razor.

also i'll need a quick shaver so I don't think the gillette guard will be that easy and quick. but i didn't try it anyway so if anyone tried it please tell me below.

I'd also suggest the Trac II as an excellent, time-tested option that will save you a little money over the Fusion or the Mach 3.

I'm a die-hard DE razor fan, but if I was in your position, I'd opt for a Mach 3. Trac 2 is another respectable option. Either one will give you a perfectly good shave for a modest cost.

Id go Mach 3. The carts are reasonable (for carts), available at any big box, grocery or pharmacy and its less harsh than the Fusion can be. I personally wouldn't go TracII because the carts for them are so expensive.
Ive got my birth year Atra and its a wonderful razor but the carts for them are too expensive for me to use it as a daily driver.

@Badgerstate36 Some of the store-brand Trac II compatible carts can be quite good as well. I've used and liked the Meijer store brand, which I believe are Personnas. Even if you pay $20 for 10 Gillette blades, assuming you get a week out of each cart, you're still ahead money-wise on Fusion or Mach 3.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You only really need 2 blades IMHO. I would go Schick Super 2/Ultrex. One of the best cartridge razors ever made.

@Badgerstate36 Some of the store-brand Trac II compatible carts can be quite good as well. I've used and liked the Meijer store brand, which I believe are Personnas. Even if you pay $20 for 10 Gillette blades, assuming you get a week out of each cart, you're still ahead money-wise on Fusion or Mach 3.
Ive never been a big fan of Personna carts. IMO, you get what you pay for when it comes to carts. You can certainly lament about the price of Gillette's carts but you cant deny their sharpness and longevity.
You can get a 10 pack of Mach 3 refills for $22 and a 10 pack of Trac II refills for $25 at Wal-Mart. Unless you only have a Trac II or Atra or just don't want anything with more than 2 blades; I don't see why you would buy the Trac II over the Mach 3.
IMO, Gillette perfected the cart with the Mach 3 and anything after that has been mostly just marketing.

Honestly, I've come to prefer the Trac II to the Mach 3. The last few carts I used were just not as smooth as I remember them being in the past and I've struggled to get a comfortable shave, whereas I've had much better results with the Trac II. I'm glad they're still making both carts, though, as they are both much better for my face than their newer Fusion products.

Not a lot of love in this thread so far for the Fusion but I prefer it. I use both (Fusion Proglide and Mach 3 turbo) along with DE, and tbh Fusion gives me the closest, quickest, most drama free shave of any of them. I would recommend Proglide over Proshield, although the differences aren't huge.

Cart prices are ridiculous but buying on eBay can make it a bit more sane. I regularly get Proglide carts in 4, 8, and 12 packs for around $2 a cart, which ain't bad. I can't vouche for the authenticity of every cart sold on eBay, but I do know how to verify if a cart is legit and can say I've never gotten counterfeit Proglide carts there. Doesn't mean it won't happen to someone else, but it's never happened to me. My stash:

2020-10-09 16.56.27.jpg

Last edited:
Those Proglide blades last forever too. Can easily get a 100 shaves from one of those. I only change blades or go to DE or electric because of variety.

I bought a vintage Schick pewter Track II handle with modern non swivel 2 blade carts. Any more blades and I get major irritation and major bumps.

I am also lucky to get Gillette guard razor and refills here in India. The handle is quite tacky but works ok.

I just use my trusty Schick Hydro 5 to shave my hairy wolf legs 15 minutes ago for the 1st time.

This all started with the Manscaped The Lawn Mower 3.0 that I just bought.
I used it to trim the legs hair down as any normal guy would do, but I could not stop myself.
I ended up grabbed the Schick Hydro and started shaving all the hair down to baby but smooth.

Top Bottom