What's new

What is the best brush for face shaving?

What is the best brush for face shaving? I usually bowl or palm lather, but have tried face shaving on occasion, and just now, in fact. I am not satisfied that I have the best brush for the job, though I have great brushes for my usual methods.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That is very subjective, and opinions and preferences will vary greatly but for a mid price, mid size, mid backbone brush, that the majority of people who face lather seem to enjoy, I would recommend a Simpson Duke 3 in Best. My personal best brush, in that it is the one I would choose over all others in my collection, is a Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian.

I realise that people's opinions on this subject will vary enormously, but in my opinion, for face lathering, I would always go for a Plisson/Plissoft knot. These knots splay very easily and feel beautifully soft on the face. They cost significantly less than badger and no animals are harmed, if that's a worry for you.

I like synthetics. Over here the humidity is so high that badger, and especially boar, don't dry out in 24 hours. I have an AP Shave Co G5A, but the brush is so dense it doesn't release lather, instead it tries to keep it inside. It is great for bowl lathering, though.

You can use any brush you wish for face lathering. However, many people who face lather like using fan shaped brush knots rather than the bulb shaped knots often used for bowl lathering. I guess the bulb shape fits curved bowls better and the flatter topped fan knots fit the face better.

The main thing is that your brush has to feel good on your face. I only have four of brushes that are soft enough that they do not irritate my sensitive skin. One is a Saville Row silvertip badger, the second is a Simpson Trafalger T3 synthetic, and the third is an Omega professional boar that is fully broken in. The last is a Barbershop brand boar brush from Austria that I got 35-40 years ago; they are no longer sold. My other brushes, even silvertip badgers and synthetics, give me brush burn if I face lather, so I prepare my lather in a bowl and apply it using painting strokes to minimize brush contact. Hopefully, you skin is not that sensitive.

I have face lathered before. I don't mean lathering in a bowl or palm and then making it thicker on the face. I mean using no bowl. I have tried a number of brushes for this. The best one is the one I used today. It is a shop brand Tuxedo bulb knot, but it is slightly denser and slightly floppier than other such knots that I possess. The shop owner said it was made for him from a Yaqi knot, most likely. Well, I got it out again today. After a hot shower, I thoroughly wet my brush, shook out the excess and squeezed a little bit. Then I put the shave cream on the brush tips and began to swirl the brush on my face. I soon had a mountain of thick foam. I added a small bit of water to the tips and got it a little less dense. It was perfect, except for some water that wanted to squeeze out when I splayed the brush. I had a great lather and a great shave and no bowl to wash.

I wonder, however, if there are brushes that will do even better, just as I have brushes that will not do as well. Perhaps the Simpson or a plisson knot? I have a small 22mm plisson and it is my second best brush for this kind of thing. Both work well in a bowl or in a palm, too. I had a badger that just couldn't cut it and a good boar that is not as good as the brush I used today, nor as soft.

I have face lathered before. I don't mean lathering in a bowl or palm and then making it thicker on the face. I mean using no bowl. I have tried a number of brushes for this. The best one is the one I used today. It is a shop brand Tuxedo bulb knot, but it is slightly denser and slightly floppier than other such knots that I possess. The shop owner said it was made for him from a Yaqi knot, most likely. Well, I got it out again today. After a hot shower, I thoroughly wet my brush, shook out the excess and squeezed a little bit. Then I put the shave cream on the brush tips and began to swirl the brush on my face. I soon had a mountain of thick foam. I added a small bit of water to the tips and got it a little less dense. It was perfect, except for some water that wanted to squeeze out when I splayed the brush. I had a great lather and a great shave and no bowl to wash.

I wonder, however, if there are brushes that will do even better, just as I have brushes that will not do as well. Perhaps the Simpson or a plisson knot? I have a small 22mm plisson and it is my second best brush for this kind of thing. Both work well in a bowl or in a palm, too. I had a badger that just couldn't cut it and a good boar that is not as good as the brush I used today, nor as soft.
I face lather 99% of the time. By far the easiest and most consistent result i get is from synthetic brushes.
I am struggling a little with dense badger knots. They do have a much nicer feel, in my opinion. I like a warm lather. Synthetic brushes loose their heat quit fast, but uses less soap and releases the lather easier.

If i use what i would call a fat soap, like A & E, i like to use a synthetic. If i use something like MDC or SV i always use a badger or a boar brush.
I like my badger brushes in Manchurian or finest. Good backbone and soft tips. I tried a few silver tips, and it was not for me.

I tend to choose the brush based on the soap i use.

I face lather 99% of the time. By far the easiest and most consistent result i get is from synthetic brushes.
I am struggling a little with dense badger knots. They do have a much nicer feel, in my opinion. I like a warm lather. Synthetic brushes loose their heat quit fast, but uses less soap and releases the lather easier.

If i use what i would call a fat soap, like A & E, i like to use a synthetic. If i use something like MDC or SV i always use a badger or a boar brush.
I like my badger brushes in Manchurian or finest. Good backbone and soft tips. I tried a few silver tips, and it was not for me.

I tend to choose the brush based on the soap i use.
Bulb or fan?

Bulb or fan?
I bought two almost identical brushes. One bulb and one fan knot. I have to say i like both, but the fan knot gets the most use. The density of these knots are quite similar, but the bulb knot feel firmer, maybe a little too firm. The fan knot i have splays better then the bulb knot. The bulb knot paints a little better, if that makes sense.
My vote goes to the fan knot.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have always face lathered only and have about half a dozen brushes to choose from. I just about always choose a Proraso Pro boar brush (well broken in) or a no-brand Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush ($2). They are totally different to each other so it is based just on what I feel like using on the day.

Haven't used one of my real badger-hair brushes in many months but they were my go-to brushes for decades.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My clear preference is for brushes with dense knots and short, stubby handles. All of my favourite are the legendary Simpsons, both with synthetic fibers and badger hair. In particular the Chubby, Duke and Trafalgar Series.

I face lather only and prefer medium sized brushes with middle to high backbone, feel soft on the face, don't hog up lather, and are made from animal hair. The handle itself shouldn't be too large or cumbersome to use. The knot shape itself doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but if i had a particular preference it would be a hybrid bulb fan shape or a bulb. I don't believe there is any considerable difference between a fan or a bulb shape when face lathering unless you prefer your brush to cover your skin more then you should go with a fan shape knot whereas the bulb shape is a little neater and more precise- either way, both will work great. If i had to recommend a good quality brush to anyone that was looking for a good face lathering brush it would undoubtedly be the Simpson Duke 3 in Best. I dont think it's the absolute best face lathering brush but it's going to point you in a direction very close perfection, whichever direction that may be.

Last edited:
As others have said, there is no best, only what works for you. I've face lathered with the softest, floppiest silvertip brush I own (a Kent BK8) as well as a fairly stiff badger/boar mix Vulfix Grosvenor. As I'm fooling with boar again (a couple Omegas and even an ancient Van der Hagen), if you're looking for the scrub effect, a good boar brush might be the best choice to exfoliate as well as build a lather. That said, I prefer making a lather in a bowl most of the time and working it in with a nice fluffy silvertip badger brush. That's the luxury side of shaving IMO.

I agree about the bowl lathering and then working it in. That is my norm. I haven't face lathered a lot in my life, but have done so enough to begin to find that the bowl is better for me, but I have also found which of my current and past brushes work well and which don't. It is all about the exploration and having fun doing it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What is the best brush for face shaving? I usually bowl or palm lather, but have tried face shaving on occasion, and just now, in fact. I am not satisfied that I have the best brush for the job, though I have great brushes for my usual methods.
OK, I'll not suggest a razor for that task. Face lathering is not terribly different from palm lathering, with the obvious exception of likely more sensitive skin on your face. You can use any brush, and by the various responses so far you see that there is no consensus as to which brush. Different handles, different lofts, different face feels, synthetic, boar, badger, horse . . . lots of choices.

So given that there is no "best" brush for the job, the field is wide open. If you face lather for a while with your current brush and then give some specific things you're looking for (stiffer, softer, bigger, etc.) you'll get some great suggestions.

I have an EVO synthetic for travel which does a pretty good job, but my favorites are an SOC 2 band badger or an SOC Mistura - both with the wood handles. But that's just me and you'll have to discover your favorites. The B&B way to do that is buy a whole mess of brushes - or ask good questions.

Top Bottom