What's new

What is the best adjustable razor to get with a long term aim ?

I hope they've fixed the Parker Variant QC issues, there have been reports that the handle would peel off on the Graphite version, I hope yours is okay.

Thanks, I've investigated these issues before ordering mine.

The handle was peeling off on the early versions that were black (still called Graphite) and used some kind of powder coating.

They pulled it off the market for a while and replaced with plated coating (not sure if they are using electroplating or chemical plating process). The new coating should have the same durability as nickel or chrome plating. And it's a different color - graphite gray vs the old black one.

There were also issues with uneven blade gap on some razors, which also read about. So I inspected mine right away, for what it's worth I can't see any gap variations.

According to reviews and forum posts that I found, Parker usually takes care of anyone who's had quality issues. So I wasn't all that concerned.

What really pushed me towards Variant was the high number of forum posts (not just here) from people who were very happy with their razors.

Thanks, I've investigated these issues before ordering mine.

The handle was peeling off on the early versions that were black (still called Graphite) and used some kind of powder coating.

They pulled it off the market for a while and replaced with plated coating (not sure if they are using electroplating or chemical plating process). The new coating should have the same durability as nickel or chrome plating. And it's a different color - graphite gray vs the old black one.

There were also issues with uneven blade gap on some razors, which also read about. So I inspected mine right away, for what it's worth I can't see any gap variations.

According to reviews and forum posts that I found, Parker usually takes care of anyone who's had quality issues. So I wasn't all that concerned.

What really pushed me towards Variant was the high number of forum posts (not just here) from people who were very happy with their razors.
10 euros cheaper than the Progress, better looking imo and apparently as good If not better. Happy that the QC issues are solved, enjoy your new shaver.

In my opinion, an adjustable razor is like a shower head with 10 settings. You fiddle with it for a couple of weeks until you find the setting you like and then...poof...you won't touch ever again.

For this reason, I think the Rockwell 6S is ingenious. But, as we all know and say, YMMV.

Taggsies, you're it. No touchbacks.
Mister Wirebender, I loved your analogy with the multi-setting shower head!

10 euros cheaper than the Progress, better looking imo and apparently as good If not better. Happy that the QC issues are solved, enjoy your new shaver.

Interestingly, on the US Amazon they are priced almost the same - $57.99 for Variant and $58.20 for Progress.

Congrads on the variant.

It's one of the better adjustables and has a very interesting design.

I didn't buy one cos of a phobia of zamak but I have a Futur, that was before I realised what it was made from :a31:!

Amongst the modern adjustables the Viking Emperor would be my choice but I only just arrived and I'm a bit wary of new products like the G-RO bags.

For the same same money which is around $50 I could easily get a fat boy or 2 slims.

Happy shaves.

Congrads on the variant.

It's one of the better adjustables and has a very interesting design.

I didn't buy one cos of a phobia of zamak but I have a Futur, that was before I realised what it was made from :a31:!

Amongst the modern adjustables the Viking Emperor would be my choice but I only just arrived and I'm a bit wary of new products like the G-RO bags.

For the same same money which is around $50 I could easily get a fat boy or 2 slims.

Happy shaves.

Didn't realize the Futur was made from pot metal. I had actually considered get one. I had a pot metal razor once that I got for $7 from a local beauty supply that completely failed. This was the motivation to try to obtain a decent vintage razor.

Didn't realize the Futur was made from pot metal. I had actually considered get one. I had a pot metal razor once that I got for $7 from a local beauty supply that completely failed. This was the motivation to try to obtain a decent vintage razor.

Hey Twelvefret,

Yup it's pot metal but the plating is excellent. I got it from the bay at a decent price so it's ok if it fails but its fun fun fun lol.

Top Bottom