What's new

What is the best adjustable razor to get with a long term aim ?

What do you like about Futur over Progress ? And would you pick Parker over Progress or the other way around ?

I want a razor I can adjust on the fly to try different (close) values. I also think I could benefit from using a more aggressive setting on my cheeks and dialing it down a little for the more sensitive areas under the chin and on the throat.

I also saw that they sell Crusader which seems to be a lighter version of Emperor; but Mercur seems to have a proven history.

So get two 6C's.

Congrats, glad you pulled the trigger & ordered what you want. Enjoy the shaves & please post your thoughts on the razor.

Will be very interested to read what you think about Variant
Emperor is very new, about a month old I think, that is why there not so many reviews

Congrats, glad you pulled the trigger & ordered what you want. Enjoy the shaves & please post your thoughts on the razor.

Thanks, and I will certainly post a review once I use it a couple times.

So get two 6C's.

LOL. I honestly fail to grasp the concept behind 6c, unless it's been intended as a "one razor that you use for the rest of your life" and expects someone to just gradually change to a more aggressive setting over the years.

To me, the attractiveness of an adjustable - in theory - is that I can use different settings on different parts of my face, I can dial it up or down depending on what I feel like that day, and I can use different blades in it and try to get the best setting for each. Changing the baseplate is not, at this point, my idea of fun...

Last edited:
In my opinion, an adjustable razor is like a shower head with 10 settings. You fiddle with it for a couple of weeks until you find the setting you like and then...poof...you won't touch ever again.

For this reason, I think the Rockwell 6S is ingenious. But, as we all know and say, YMMV.

Taggsies, you're it. No touchbacks.

I have my name on their "wait list" for over 2 weeks now...No response. How long did you wait for your Model T Rockwell?

I funded the Kickstarter campaign. It took two years! It's an excellent product. I would imagine that production will begin to increase now that the campaign is finished.

R

romsitsa

Merkur Progress, imho.
Pros: relatively cheap, relatively small and light, the best head design of all adjustables.
Cons: tends to rot, build quality can vary.

Adam

Vintage or Modern? Modern, my choices would be Rockwell or Karve. Vintage, this opens up a can of worms, Gibbs, Apollo Mikron, or a very findable Fatboy. Many great razors, we are very fortunate to have so many choices.

Well, here's my initial review. Will update it once I have some experience with this razor
Parker Variant
Thanks
I do like that is heavy razor but what stopping me to get one is that it has only 5 adjustment settings so I am exploring other options since I have sensitive skin
I was considering Crusader but it doesn't have any markings so if you want to use different settings for different parts of your face it is a hustle since you have to remember how many turns you made and which way when you want to go back

If you're looking for a good looking adjustable...
1. Rockwell Model T - Occasionally, you'll find them on the bay; these are long-lasting razors
2. Rockwell 6C - not stainless steel, but nicely plated, and adjustable

Thanks
I do like that is heavy razor but what stopping me to get one is that it has only 5 adjustment settings so I am exploring other options since I have sensitive skin
I was considering Crusader but it doesn't have any markings so if you want to use different settings for different parts of your face it is a hustle since you have to remember how many turns you made and which way when you want to go back

The adjustments are not set in individual positions, it's a continuously variable setting ring, so you can set it to any blade gap, just have to remember how far between the number and 1/2 you are.

The adjustments are not set in individual positions, it's a continuously variable setting ring, so you can set it to any blade gap, just have to remember how far between the number and 1/2 you are.
Thanks for the information, then it is definitely better than Crusader

So, just to post an update..

I got a few cuts and irritation after using the setting of 3, so I decided to take a couple days off. Yesterday, I used an electric shaver.

This morning, against my best judgment, I decided to try Variant again. This time, on 2. The blade was Astra SP on it's 3rd use, when it is usually the smoothest.

The result was a great, uneventful, completely irritation-free shave. It did take me a little longer than usual to clean everything up to BBS quality, which may be either because that razor and blade combo is less efficient at low setting, or I am still getting used to it. The heft of the razor is still a new sensation that I am adjusting to. But the end result was absolutely amazing. Especially considering that I am still covered in scratches from the first use two days ago ;). Not a single weeper, cut, or irritation bump.

I also tried to sort of "mock shave" under my nose - to the point where I can feel the blade but not cut any hair - and I think that, despite the razor's fat head, shaving there would not be an issue.

Some additional observations:

- The audible feedback on this razor is great, even at low setting.
- Knurling is very effective. I got some soap on my hand and didn't even realize it.
- I didn't feel added resistance when shaving over low lather areas like the first time, perhaps I am getting used to it.
- It's a very easy razor to clean.

All in all, I am very happy with this purchase. I think I got what I wanted - a beautiful razor that I enjoy using and that can "grow up" with me as I progress to more aggressive shaving setups.

So, just to post an update..

I got a few cuts and irritation after using the setting of 3, so I decided to take a couple days off. Yesterday, I used an electric shaver.

This morning, against my best judgment, I decided to try Variant again. This time, on 2. The blade was Astra SP on it's 3rd use, when it is usually the smoothest.

The result was a great, uneventful, completely irritation-free shave. It did take me a little longer than usual to clean everything up to BBS quality, which may be either because that razor and blade combo is less efficient at low setting, or I am still getting used to it. The heft of the razor is still a new sensation that I am adjusting to. But the end result was absolutely amazing. Especially considering that I am still covered in scratches from the first use two days ago ;). Not a single weeper, cut, or irritation bump.

I also tried to sort of "mock shave" under my nose - to the point where I can feel the blade but not cut any hair - and I think that, despite the razor's fat head, shaving there would not be an issue.

Some additional observations:

- The audible feedback on this razor is great, even at low setting.
- Knurling is very effective. I got some soap on my hand and didn't even realize it.
- I didn't feel added resistance when shaving over low lather areas like the first time, perhaps I am getting used to it.
- It's a very easy razor to clean.

All in all, I am very happy with this purchase. I think I got what I wanted - a beautiful razor that I enjoy using and that can "grow up" with me as I progress to more aggressive shaving setups.
Thanks for the update, now I'm even more curious how it will work for a sensitive skin

Thanks for the update, now I'm even more curious how it will work for a sensitive skin

I'd say that as long as you don't use a setting that's too aggressive, it's actually exceptional.

I mean, first I got too adventurous and irritated my face and had three cuts, then skipped just one day, dialed it down to 2 and it was one of the easiest, least irritable shaves I had with any razor. And that included three full passes and cleanups. So on a healed, non-irritated face, it should be super gentle from the beginning... if not set too high.

I hope they've fixed the Parker Variant QC issues, there have been reports that the handle would peel off on the Graphite version, I hope yours is okay.

Top Bottom