What's new

What is tallow listed as under ingredients?

I just got my order of Trumpet's soaps. From what I hear - they have stopped. Adding tallow ( a desireable ingredient for some?)

I jut want to know how can I tell my soap has tallow or not.

Thanks guys

There is no tallowate in Geo F. Trumper's soap. It doesn't really matter. Stearate gives same properties to the soap as it was made from a tallow. Note there are pottasium and sodium stearates. When you treat tallow with sodium hydroxide you get sodium stearate and glycerine. Remove the glycerine, and you have a hard soap.
When you treat tallow with potassium hydroxide you get potassium stearate which is used mainly in a production of soft soaps. There is a mixture of the two stearates in GFT.

How they got sodium and potassium stearate for their soap - is not really important, maybe from tallow, maybe not. Doesn't make any difference.

Myristic acid is not a sign of tallow.

As for stearate having the same properties as 'tallowate': this is not the case. Tallow is a mixture of various fatty acids which are a) somewhat shorter and b) less saturated than stearate, which is more or less a pure product. Stearates make a lather 'heavy' and 'dense'. Palm oil is a much better approximation of tallow, although it requires a little tweaking to get it to the point where it is so similar that the customer doesn't notice.

@OP: no mention of tallow does not mean the soap is bad. Unfortunately, when reformulating, most soap makers don't go through the trouble of matching the performance of the old soap to that of the new---and that is when you get desillusioned stories on Badger & Blade that 'another one bites the dust'. To my knowledge, Trumper is an exception in this regard.

Disagree. Trumper's soap was better performing when it contained tallow.

I reject your science! The best performing shaving soaps contain tallow!! :biggrin:

There is no tallowate in Geo F. Trumper's soap. It doesn't really matter. Stearate gives same properties to the soap as it was made from a tallow.

The old Tallow based Trumper soaps were simply labeled "soap base" on the ingredients list. A few years ago EU started requiring cosmetics manufacturers to list out the ingredients more specifically. Around that same time Trumper changed the formula and went to a palm oil based soap. This ingredient is listed as Sodium Palmate I believe. I find even the palm based Trumper soaps to provide as nice of a lather as anything else out there.

Clint

The old Tallow based Trumper soaps were simply labeled "soap base" on the ingredients list.

+1. Actually, it would say "shave soap base" or "toilet soap base." If you can track down an old puck of Trumper's soap and you see either of those terms listed in the ingredients, bingo. It's a tallow soap.

I have to say that I have some Trumper's soaps that are tallow and some that are palm based.There is very little difference at all in how they perform.Trumpers IMHO has done the best job in retaining their quality in their shave soaps while reformulating.

I have to say that I have some Trumper's soaps that are tallow and some that are palm based.There is very little difference at all in how they perform.Trumpers IMHO has done the best job in retaining their quality in their shave soaps while reformulating.

Agreed.

Top Bottom