What's new

What is Favorite Metal for Razor?

I’d love to see some sterling silver options.
There are vintage sterling shaving items out there like this Reyna made in Taxco, Mexico. Gillette silver sets come up for sale once in a while. I don't know if a modern maker would have much success with a silver razor set though.
100_6233.JPG

100_6226.JPG

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." ~Conan the Barbarian

Steel -> Ti -> Brass/Bronze ->>>> Aluminum and Zamac.

Just personal preference. Not too light, no patina, that's reasons why I like steel and titanium.

Titanium for me. I have owned quite a number of both stainless and titanium razors and the weight of titanium suits me best. I do still occasionally use a Razorock .95 sb, but I put a Ti handle on it. If Razorock ever made the Lupo .95 in titanium, it might be my perfect razor. As it is, I have a Ti Osprey which is certainly damned close to perfect, so I guess if RR never makes razors in titanium I’m still set.

I've only had a few razors, but one of them suffered Zamak rot. It was a Cadet OC, if I recall correctly, and the pin broke flush with the cap. But the first razor I started with a decade ago, a Merkur 34C, is still what I use pretty much every time.

I wonder if its being a two-piece razor makes it less susceptible to failure.

I like gold plated stainless steel first, gold plated brass second, and gold plated zinc alloy third. Gold is beautiful, it matches all my stuff, and it has the best corrosion resistance.

1000005957.jpg

There's nothing like it.

Oh, after gold plated zinc alloy comes plastic for me.

Titanium and Aluminum. There is no reason for a heavy razor. A lighter razor is much easier to handle on the most difficult parts of the face and neck. The benefits of a heavy razor are completely fabricated and irrational.
I totally disagree .... the reason is personal preference, i've got aluminium and brass, the heavier the better is my choice, the light aluminium feels poxy in my hand.

Disregarding the price, I think sterling silver is too soft a metal for a razor. Perhaps a silver plated brass razor would be doable but the plating would probably wear off pretty soon.
The Gillette "Banjo " case is sterling [925 or 835 in some cases is sterling] some of the guards were sterling but i dont know if any top caps were/are sterling?
Silver plating is/was used quite extensively as far back when noah parked the ark in 1900.

My least favorite is Zamak, naturally. My 34C, Futur, Progress and Yaqi "TFC" are of this material. But the reality is they will outlast me. I already had to replace the top cap on the Progress due to Zamak rot, though.

I have been toying with the idea of gifting the TFC and 34C to folks I encounter who are drudging through life with a Lord or Rapira. I think this would make me feel like Scrooge on Christmas Day, sending a big goose to Bob Cratchet.
I have given at least two people the gift of DE/SE shaving. It is a good feeling.

Will give to more in the future. Still considering the best way.

I totally disagree .... the reason is personal preference, i've got aluminum and brass, the heavier the better is my choice, the light aluminum feels poxy in my hand.
+1 above !!!

Material choice for razor designs is tricky. Aluminum, depending on alloy and heat treating, is generally a highly ductile material so this could be a troublesome choice. Particularly for a razor design that uses continuous and large pressure points on thin components to hold them together and in correct alignment. So I am always expecting the head of the AL13 Henson to deform (fatally) every time I place a new blade and torque down the handle. Anyway, from just my personal point of view, the biggest use issue with the very light Henson is the odd balance point in hand and the aggravating very long handle design. So I tried this one: Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR1 and am very happy with the result.

After much reading & personal experience.

Zamak is plagued with problem if you drop.

Ti has only one problem, THREADS are Weak part of Razor.

The only modern razor in (very limited) production that is made out of sterling silver that I know of is the Muhle R89 AG. I assume this is more like of a collectors razor rather than something most would use everyday, but I guess those who enjoy using their R89 might use it regularly. I haven't used the R89, but almost everyone agrees that it's a very mild razor, so that along with the very high price tag are more than enough for me not to buy it.

muhle r89 ag.png

After much reading & personal experience.

Zamak is plagued with problem if you drop.

Ti has only one problem, THREADS are Weak part of Razor.
You may want to do more research on this!! I'm sure you are referring tohow Ti threads are known to gall and that to my knowledge and after plenty of conversations in these forums has never happened with a razor. It has happened in the field in some mechanical situations. Ti threads are stornger than SS threads and the only way to ruin them is by stripping them the same as SS and that is what we call user error!!

Now if you wanted to say threads are the weak point of any razor, Titanium, Stainless, or Aluminum you would be more inclined to be right!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I prefer Stainless for the face feel, shine and durability. I prefer Brass and Bronze for the aesthetic. Especially when they patina like an old Zildjian cymbal. I like all three because the weight and balance suit me. I don’t care for light razors. I like the shaving feel of a nice heavy razor.

I dislike Ti and Aluminum because of the light weight. I have tried so many. The best of that bunch is the Ti Blackbird. But as great as that one performed, I could not enjoy the shaving due to the light weight. Plastic and Bakelite razors are a no-go for me as well. But I have used them in a pinch while traveling if I needed to.

I would rather shave with a zamac razor than Ti or Aluminum. I just spent more that two weeks on the road with only two zamac razors. The venerable R89 Grande with the amazingly beautiful stock Grande handle. And the R41 2013 model with a Weber Classic stainless handle. Very enjoyable razors. I have zamac razors over a decade old and have had zero issues.

+1 above !!!

Material choice for razor designs is tricky. Aluminum, depending on alloy and heat treating, is generally a highly ductile material so this could be a troublesome choice. Particularly for a razor design that uses continuous and large pressure points on thin components to hold them together and in correct alignment. So I am always expecting the head of the AL13 Henson to deform (fatally) every time I place a new blade and torque down the handle. Anyway, from just my personal point of view, the biggest use issue with the very light Henson is the odd balance point in hand and the aggravating very long handle design. So I tried this one: Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR1 and am very happy with the result.
I can pretty much guarantee your aluminum Henson will not fail that way. The amount of torque needed to secure a super thin blade is de minimis.

As for modern razors without any doubt I'd have to say good quality stainless.

I always opt for stainless steel razors over other metals. It just works for me. I like how it feels in hand and on skin. Its low maintenance, requires minimal cleaning, resistance to corrosion, damage etc, generally one of the most affordable options, good value for money, feels sturdy, heavy in hand and pretty much lasts forever.

I should just add when it comes to vintage razors, well in that category it would have to be plated brass. It has stood the test of time, used by most razor companies for decades and is typically easily replated again if needed and/or desired. All you have to do is send it off to Back Roads Gold and it'll return better than new. 🙂

Top Bottom