What's new

What is Favorite Metal for Razor?

Stainless. Bronze/Brass/Copper smell. Aluminum is too light. And Ti is horrifically overpriced.

2nd best would be chrome plated brass.

Timeless titanium razors are barely more expensive than the SS. About $30 more expensive depending on the options.

Titanium is my favorite for the light weight and corrosion resistance. I hate the price that some charge for the metal though.

Brass/bronze always draws me in for the appearance, but in use I get tired of the upkeep very quickly.

Maybe it's me, but I've reread this several times and it always strikes me as a bit ironic.

SS is my favorite - easy maintenance and I like the weight.
It's really because the question of the thread is to rate the metals. Zamak is my least preferred metal. This doesn't mean I dislike my Zamak razors. But would I prefer a Progress made of plated brass?

You bet I would. And I only mentioned getting rid of my 34C and Yaqi "TFC" because I almost never use the mild 34C and I have a stainless Yaqi Ultima on its way. There was a one day sale and I had some Aliexpress "coins", so I went for it. I don't see myself using the TFC when an Ultima is present.

My least favorite is Zamak, naturally. My 34C, Futur, Progress and Yaqi "TFC" are of this material. But the reality is they will outlast me. I already had to replace the top cap on the Progress due to Zamak rot, though.
I'm thinking the reality is they might not outlast you and in your case it certainly didn't!! Zamac rot "IS" a thing but most think its not...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like some heft and an attractive finish. Zamak has previously filled the bill, but I fell victim to the prey of polished stainless. So stainless it is. I am not a big fan of lightness, but my experience with it has been limited to the occasional disposable when traveling, hardly a fair standard by which to judge. Brass or bronze would be lovely, but that is conjecture, not experience.

My least favorite is Zamak, naturally. My 34C, Futur, Progress and Yaqi "TFC" are of this material. But the reality is they will outlast me. I already had to replace the top cap on the Progress due to Zamak rot, though.

I have been toying with the idea of gifting the TFC and 34C to folks I encounter who are drudging through life with a Lord or Rapira. I think this would make me feel like Scrooge on Christmas Day, sending a big goose to Bob Cratchet.

Zinc alloys seem the most unpredictable to me, in that depending on how the razors are cared for and random things, they could last far longer than any owner of a new product would need them to, or they could inexplicably and unpredictably just break in two. I'm never sure what to say to someone about buying zinc alloys because they will probably be fine for a long long time, but there's also a nonignorable chance they won't.

I've often wondered why aluminum isn't used instead — whether aluminum is more expensive than zinc alloys, or if it's a weight thing, or perceived durability based on mass, or what.

Looks and feel-wise, I'd prefer stainless or titanium. But the first is heavy and the second is expensive, and I can't deny my best shaving razor is aluminum, so that becomes the ultimate arbiter.

Kryptonite ( DC Comics > DC SuperShaver )
Because it weakens super stubble

BFX

How-Does-He-Shave-220x300.png

I began my shaving journey with the mindset that SS was the end-all of all razor construction and that plated zamak and Ti were not to be considered because of durability and cost considerations, respectively.

Now 18 months later, I do not care what my razor is made of as long as I like the shave, whether it be plastic or pot metal.

However, Ti is still not a consideration as I don't intend to shave going Mach 1 at 70,000 ft where it may come in handy, and mainly because it is too expensive and unnecessary in my mind.

I began my shaving journey with the mindset that SS was the end-all of all razor construction and that plated zamak and Ti were not to be considered because of durability and cost considerations, respectively.

Now 18 months later, I do not care what my razor is made of as long as I like the shave, whether it be plastic or pot metal.

However, Ti is still not a consideration as I don't intend to shave going Mach 1 at 70,000 ft where it may come in handy, and mainly because it is too expensive and unnecessary in my mind.
Yes, but you know you've got it bad when you think about buying a razor because you don't have one made out of a material yet.

I’ve seen Zamak rot. It was from a razor used frequently for the last 10 years but rarely dried or cleaned. It still works but the plating is coming off and certain parts have no plating and look pitted.

On my razors I dry them with a microfiber towel after every shave - especially if it’s Zamak. It takes about 10 seconds and I figure my Zamaks will last 50 years like this unless the cap screw snaps off.

On my razors I dry them with a microfiber towel after every shave - especially if it’s Zamak. It takes about 10 seconds and I figure my Zamaks will last 50 years like this unless the cap screw snaps off.
Agreed, and if you want to go totally over the top like me, spritz it with spray-on car wax occasionally for a quick wipe-down and polish, which should help the plating last longer.

Top Bottom