What's new

What is considered a summer scent and do I need to wear one?

So far the scents I find work well on my skin are the following.
Polo Blue
Polo Double Black
C&S Spanish Cedar
T&H Trafalgar
Floris Santal
Penaligons Endymion
Creed Bois Du Portugal
Creeed Santal
and I think GIT smells ok
Most of these are woodsy and spicy scents. A lot of cologne I have tried has turned to a bath soap scent right after I put it on so it is hard finding scents that work well. I have some floris samples headed my way and have tried all the T&H scents and a few creed.
So what is the difference of a winter and summer scent? Does one really need to wear a summer scent or can he wear a spicy woodsy scent all year?

You can wear the woodsy scents year around in my opinion. Sorry...I have to ask about the C & S Spanish Cedar. It is a pain in the butt to get it in Canada. Menessentials in Toronto doesn't carry that speciifc one and London won't send samples to Canada because of the alcohol thing. Where did you get it and what does it smell like to you?

I got samples from the UK. It is amazing and woody. Will have to try some again in a few min and give an update.

Just put a little on my hand and here is what I get. Think of standing in a cedar wardrobe. Strong woody with slight hints of camphor. There is definite clove notes. Slight spice but pretty hidden.

For my chemistry citrusy frags work best. I only break out the cedar in the warmer months too, not to mention cedar oils repel the bugs well.

Last edited:
I scrupulously avoid colognes etc. in the summer. The only scent I use is whatever lingers from my aftershave of the day. I'm always afraid that summer heat and sweat can make almost any scent smell bad.

If you love cedar, maybe give "White" by Lalique a try.
Summery lemon, hints of pepper and a woody cedarwood base which smells like a freshly sharpened pencil.
Great summer scent - in my view.

It's up to you. Some colognes are too "heavy" for summertime use, but again, YMMV

I enjoy a nice, light sea-side scent like Nautica Oceans for the hot summer months.

All the Nautica, D&G, and most fragrances I have tried at retailers turn to soap within seconds of hitting my skin. Really puts me off.

had a great lemon shave today and topped off with quercus. big lemon open, then some florals and woods.
overall, lasted perhaps a couple hours. no big deal. but really refreshing.

$trumpers gft simpson clover thayer lemon penhaligon quercus may 28 2015.jpg

had a great lemon shave today and topped off with quercus. big lemon open, then some florals and woods.
overall, lasted perhaps a couple hours. no big deal. but really refreshing.

View attachment 574933

That's awesome.

To the OP:

What's a winter scent on me might be a summer scent on you, so it all depends on skin type. If you've tried all these and thought 'summer' when you tried them, then more power to you.

My wife became infatuated with Endymion for a time, but swore it was a cool weather scent. She changed her mind, and, I no longer wear it (the leather was what lead to its rejection by her, after a while)

That said, my go-to summer scent is l'Orange Noir, by Fine Aftershaves.

All the Nautica, D&G, and most fragrances I have tried at retailers turn to soap within seconds of hitting my skin. Really puts me off.

I just saw this. I don't like designer scents, at all. I much prefer 'barber shop' scents. You might want to try something by Fine, T&H, TOBS, GFT, MR, DR Harris or even Pinaud.

I have tried everything by T&h. Several by tobs and gft. Wear pinaud clubman, aqua velva, and a few other barber shop scents as aftershave.

Basically we're talking temperature and not seasons but we're also talking the flavours and scents of summer: Citrus, fruity, sweet vanilla, Tonka. Here I go plugging Joop yet again but check out Joop Homme Summer Ticket if you can find it and start from there. The type to stay away from is Oriental woody and tobacco notes except in the evening.

I say wear it all year if you like it.

If you like that list and you like woodsy spicy, I'd suggest trying Issey Miyake -- You might like the Woods or the Sport.

So far the scents I find work well on my skin are the following.
Polo Blue
Polo Double Black
C&S Spanish Cedar
T&H Trafalgar
Floris Santal
Penaligons Endymion
Creed Bois Du Portugal
Creeed Santal
and I think GIT smells ok
Most of these are woodsy and spicy scents. A lot of cologne I have tried has turned to a bath soap scent right after I put it on so it is hard finding scents that work well. I have some floris samples headed my way and have tried all the T&H scents and a few creed.
So what is the difference of a winter and summer scent? Does one really need to wear a summer scent or can he wear a spicy woodsy scent all year?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Good question!! I do not have special scents I do wear only in the warmer or colder weather (well, one or two, like Norne from Slumberhouse I put only on in the winter). Today we had 59 degrees..... it is 5th of June.......summer or winter scent???
I wear what I like, how I feel when I am done shaving, and let not dictate the time of the year what to put on.....

Top Bottom