What's new

What is an Unpopular or Disparaged Blade You Like?

When I have used Astra, the SS seems more similar than the SP

For me Astra SS is way sharper than SP.

It was rated 40 below in sharpness rating.

IMG_8621.png

It was rated 40 below in sharpness rating.

View attachment 1852457

Same, I find the Astra SS much sharper than the Astra SP. I have tried many times, but the Astra SP doesn't work for my whiskers. I wish a less-sharp blade like that did, alas.

I find the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) works for me. It is more sharp than the Astra SP. My face is not a sharpness scale, but I think the Astra SS is just a hair sharper than the GWS. I keep both of them on hand in addition to my two favorite sharper blades -- Nacet and Perma-Sharp.

When I have used Astra, the SS seems more similar than the SP
Yes, the SS is sharper than the SP. The line you quoted was a response to a question if India Wilkinsons were similar to Astra SP -- and my answer was "No" the India Wilkies are much sharper than Astra SP and if I were comparing them to an Astra it would be the SS that they are more similar to.

Treet Durasharps give a GREAT one and done shave in my 80+ year old NEW SC with SC cap. I think they might go further but I am afraid of rust.

Something about the carbon steel shaves as comfortably as a 2016 Polsilver in it after the first stroke where coating wears off. Other SS blades give me issues in the New SC, but maybe I have gotten better technique with the razor at this point.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Let's just start with this: the idea that something I like would be disparaged here is beyond absurd. Good heavens!

I don't think there is a more ymmv area than blades, so it doesn't surprise me that opinions vary. One of the things my father gave me was this beard hair. It has nothing to do with being manly - it's just heredity. You like a blade that's too dull for my face - so what, you don't have to shave my face.

Hey, it could be worse. I feel bad for the guys with the wire for beard hair who only get one shave from a Feather. You get good shaves from Derby Extras - good for you. You get 1,462 shaves from one blade - good for you. Count your blessings and be happy.

Same, I find the Astra SS much sharper than the Astra SP. I have tried many times, but the Astra SP doesn't work for my whiskers. I wish a less-sharp blade like that did, alas.

I find the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) works for me. It is more sharp than the Astra SP. My face is not a sharpness scale, but I think the Astra SS is just a hair sharper than the GWS. I keep both of them on hand in addition to my two favorite sharper blades -- Nacet and Perma-Sharp.
Same here re the Astras

Derby Extra blades don't seem to get many positive comments, but I can get a fine shave with them. However, they're not in my top tier.

Top Bottom