What's new

What is an auto strop?

Once you have done it a few time removing the spine and snapping off the corners of the notches takes a few seconds. I find it is easier if individually wrapped blades such as those from Ted Pella are used. The mod can be done before unwrapping the blade.

There are videos on Youtube showing exactly how to do it.

If anyone is considering acquiring a VB1, VC1 or pre-Valet model, there is one important thing to know that has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

Take a close look at the pictures, focusing on the blade stops. These are more than just stops - they hold the blade in place.

They are also quite fragile, and if either one of them is broken or damaged it will be impossible to safely load a blade. I know of no way to repair them.

So, always look for a clear picture of the blade stops before buying/bidding on any of these. If they cannot be seen, ask the seller for additional images.

--Bob

removing the spine is easy clipping don`t forget to clip a little bit of the near bottom of the blade too.

$IMG_1597.jpg
I drew a line in pointing the direction on which end to clip a bit off.

Once you have done it a few time removing the spine and snapping off the corners of the notches takes a few seconds. I find it is easier if individually wrapped blades such as those from Ted Pella are used. The mod can be done before unwrapping the blade.

There are videos on Youtube showing exactly how to do it.

If anyone is considering acquiring a VB1, VC1 or pre-Valet model, there is one important thing to know that has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

Take a close look at the pictures, focusing on the blade stops. These are more than just stops - they hold the blade in place.

They are also quite fragile, and if either one of them is broken or damaged it will be impossible to safely load a blade. I know of no way to repair them.

So, always look for a clear picture of the blade stops before buying/bidding on any of these. If they cannot be seen, ask the seller for additional images.

--Bob

View attachment 604565
Good point Bob about the possible broken off blade stops. My silver valet auto strop razor the one in this green box had a missing broken stop on the right side. I soldered back on a blade stop on the right side and sanded it to size and it shaves wonderful now and as good as new.

--Bob

Another thing I've found is there is an early and a late VB1.

The early one is basically just a B1 with Valet on it, the newer version is like the one in your pic with the fancy handle that they also used on the VB2. The early ones have a long handle with a bare area at the bottom.

The early ones have the blade stops reinforced and are rarely if ever broken. The later ones are the same as the VC1 and are easily broken. So definitely check for broken tabs especially on the later versions like the one in spidey's pic.

The early reinforced ones are actually pretty tough. I've gotten some that were horribly bent or smashed and was able to bend them back into place.

As spidey says though this is a major issue and quite common on the VC1s and late VB1s. These are not reinforced and are very delicate and quite often broken off making them into a paperweight.

Glad to hear that you were able to repair it. I've never had much luck with that sort of repair.

--Bob
Thanks, I couldn`t stand the thought of having this razor going out of commission. I decided to get her fixed up. This was my first valet and I didn`t know what to look out for and after this lesson I`ve always check the condition of these blade stops now.

Thanks, I couldn`t stand the thought of having this razor going out of commission. I decided to get her fixed up. This was my first valet and I didn`t know what to look out for and after this lesson I`ve always check the condition of these blade stops now.

It can be done.

I repaired a VC1 by soldering on new tab.

There are pics of the repair in my gallery for anyone interested. Would have posted pics but at work and this screwy computer is a pain.

Last edited:
:thumbup: This thread is quickly becoming a mini buyer's guide for the AutoStrop razor. So much so that I found and purchased a VB1 today! It was over eBay, and the usual caveats apply, as the photographs shown—and those I additionally requested of the seller—all look fairly good, but you never know until the item arrives. Thanks to those who posted valuable information in this thread. I now own seven, and still counting, AutoStrop razors. Love 'em.

Top Bottom