What's new

What I did was either awesome or dumb-

Or awesomely dumb....

so- I will preface this with 2 pieces of disclaimer:

1) It’s a global lockdown and I’m bored to tears.....

2) I’ve never done any of this before and have nothing better to do 😂🤣😂

So, my objective was to try to make some sort of buffing compound. I’ve heard beeswax and CrOx powder is the way to go. Melt the wax, add yer powder.....mix it up, pour into candy molds....Easy peasy....right?

well- the beeswax I ended up with was some Murray’s Beeswax for dreadlocks and hair.....so it smells almost like baby powder. The CrOx I had was Maggard CrOx paste.

I melted the Murray’s because dad-gum it, I waited all this time for it to arrive in the mail, as well as the crox, I was makin’ SOMETHING tonight, he’ll or high water!!!

By the way, this ought to yield a laugh of two....

so- this stuff gets everywhere. Thank god I do my own car work & for fast orange pumice hand wash!!! Anyway, I melted the wax, added the paste- and I didn’t ha be a candy mold, but I did have some empty fast food sauce containers.....I could put them in ice cold water so the plastic won’t melt- but then decided the Maggard containers were thicker and were a better idea.

Short story long, this stuff wasn’t the crayon-like stuff I wanted it to become. Instead, I have a very green thick “SOMETHING” substance that’s about 2 parts crox 4 parts beeswax- but the softer variety.

I am wondering- have I made something useful? Of have I made complete garbage? I’m thinking- maybe I can use this stuff on a leather strop? This stuff has the consistency of ice cream when you first take it out of the freezer. Is this the kinda stuff you’d want on a basswood strop? How about a leather strop? Or is this stuff trash & I wasted my time but had fun doing it? 🙄🙄🙄

A210564E-CF28-44B7-BDC5-34849CE4BE53.jpeg
F4DB0A0C-914D-44C0-80F5-1DE600C4E839.jpeg
1C5BE619-45F2-4D8B-BAF4-32F3B605E95C.jpeg
BB85E332-064F-49E0-B25E-9DDCF203BF4A.jpeg
A8CC451A-F138-4D6F-A02D-42162C41D935.jpeg
35335672-6024-44A1-B1CB-493D1F07AE7C.jpeg

I don't know if what you made is useable. I would not put it on any substrate. I've used the Maggard CrOx directly on balsa, so there is no need to mix it with anything.

Bravo! Bravo!
Might as well slathered on something and give it a try. You’ve gone this far.
That’s what I was thinking- I have several blocks of wood coming in, I can use one as the sacrificial lamb and see if my “stuff” which is about 38% crOx paste works-

My guess is that the beeswax “stuff” will soak in / dissipate leaving the paste behind- I would need more added to the wood perhaps- than usual. That’s my guess. Stay tuned...😀🧐

Top Bottom