What's new

Did i screw up already? Cheap stones.

I am really looking to learn to hone straights. I got 13 or so different razors in different conditions and I got 2 sets of combo stones of amazon. 400/1000 and 3000/8000. Are these even okay to learn with.? The more I dig the more I feel like
I made a bad choice since
I didnt have enough for a higher priced stone. Ive also been looking at lapping film. Should I explore both routes or stick to one for now?

These Are what they are:
Knife Sharpening Stone Kit, AASELM Professional Whetstone Sharpener Set, 2 in 1 Grit 400/1000 3000/8000, Bamboo Base, Flattening Stone, Polishing Compound, Leather Honing Strop and Leather Razor Strop https://a.co/d/gWRcbtl

I was hoping it will atleast work till I can get something better. Thanks for any input and i hope everyones having a nice day/shave!

I am really looking to learn to hone straights. I got 13 or so different razors in different conditions and I got 2 sets of combo stones of amazon. 400/1000 and 3000/8000. Are these even okay to learn with.? The more I dig the more I feel like
I made a bad choice since
I didnt have enough for a higher priced stone. Ive also been looking at lapping film. Should I explore both routes or stick to one for now?

These Are what they are:
Knife Sharpening Stone Kit, AASELM Professional Whetstone Sharpener Set, 2 in 1 Grit 400/1000 3000/8000, Bamboo Base, Flattening Stone, Polishing Compound, Leather Honing Strop and Leather Razor Strop https://a.co/d/gWRcbtl

I was hoping it will atleast work till I can get something better. Thanks for any input and i hope everyones having a nice day/shave!
No you didn't screw up. I learned to hone razors on the same stones but if ebay. Keeping them flat is a problem though, make sure you flatten them. Don't use pressure when honing on them, they'll cut with nearly no pressure. Just go through the progression and make sure your bevel is set all the way across the edge. You'll get shaving sharp edges, it didn't take too long to learn on them. They are a short term investment, they'll wear quickly, but are good for learning with very little initial investment. I honed lot of stuff on other stones but never razors, I started where you are. You'll be good, soak them for 15 min or until they stop bubbling, which ever comes first. Make sure you got a decent strop to finish with. It's worth getting decent leather. I started using a Hermann Oak veg tanned gun belt, flesh then smooth side.

No you didn't screw up. I learned to hone razors on the same stones but if ebay. Keeping them flat is a problem though, make sure you flatten them. Don't use pressure when honing on them, they'll cut with nearly no pressure. Just go through the progression and make sure your bevel is set all the way across the edge. You'll get shaving sharp edges, it didn't take too long to learn on them. They are a short term investment, they'll wear quickly, but are good for learning with very little initial investment. I honed lot of stuff on other stones but never razors, I started where you are. You'll be good, soak them for 15 min or until they stop bubbling, which ever comes first. Make sure you got a decent strop to finish with. It's worth getting decent leather. I started using a Hermann Oak veg tanned gun belt, flesh then smooth side.
One came with a nicer strop the other not so much haha. It also came with a flat piece of leather to put strop paste on as well. Thanks for making me feel better about it. One also came with a bigger black flattening stone ill be sure to use. Im just excited to jump into it honestly

One came with a nicer strop the other not so much haha. It also came with a flat piece of leather to put strop paste on as well. Thanks for making me feel better about it. One also came with a bigger black flattening stone ill be sure to use. Im just excited to jump into it honestly
Get some CrOx for the crappy one and you'll be set.

They look like the generic stones sometimes branded as Bearmoo, Sharp Pebble, etc.
IMO, they're more appropriate for someone trying to lean how to sharpen beginner grade kitchen cutlery.
There are way better options for razor honing, way way better options.
The grit ratings are whacked. They are soft. They don't stay flat. The abrasive is inconsistent, etc, etc, etc.
Can you sharpen a razor with them? Sure. You can sharpen a razor on w/d sandpaper too.
Would I ever recommend them to someone? No, I think they make people struggle needlessly when they should be putting that energy into other stuff.
For a budget, I honestly believe the king 1k/6k combo - same price, is a better deal.

It actually came with some in one of the sets I believe. Its a green bar. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!
No problem. You'll have done struggles but you'll learn from it. Start with a junk razor to get a feel out of it and pay close attention to everything. How it looks, feels, check for flatness regularly, clean the surface as soon as it's needed. You'll be good. If you put a beater razor on then and get it to hht well you'll know if you want to put a good razor on them. @Gamma is right that there are MUCH better things to hone razors on but if you already have them all is not lost, you can use them and if you're new to honing You'll never know the difference.

I didn't have much luck with those (not the same branding but very similar) but there was a guy who posts here from time to time who says he did.

The 3k I had was probably closer to a 1k but it was actually usable as a bevel setter, although softer than I'd like. The 8k would release large (relatively) chunks of rogue grit that would really ruin your day. May have just been mine, but watch out for it.

I didn't have much luck with those (not the same branding but very similar) but there was a guy who posts here from time to time who says he did.

The 3k I had was probably closer to a 1k but it was actually usable as a bevel setter, although softer than I'd like. The 8k would release large (relatively) chunks of rogue grit that would really ruin your day. May have just been mine, but watch out for it.
Thanks for the advice. Ill make sure to watch closely

I don't agree that just because someone is new they won't notice they're struggling for no reason.
Newer users struggle the most as it is, intentionally making it worse is a bad plan. The idea is to enjoy honing, not fight with the tools.
A lot of new guys have emailed me about those stones, none of it good.
Every single one of them got rid of those stones and was much happier with what they got to replace them. a bunch of years back someone posted a funny video about the 3k/8k Bearmoo on YT... dude was spot-on. These companies keep changing the names, but it's all the same sort of product.

If you can return them and get the King, I'd recommend going that route in a heartbeat.
If not, then you'll have to work though it.

I worked though a Norton set in the beginning, the N8k was better that what you got in that set but it still wasn't 8k. But the Norton 1k and 4k were the worst. Again, people said I'd be fine because that's what they used. Well, good for them, those stones were terrible. I dumped that set in less than a month.

I don't agree that just because someone is new they won't notice they're struggling for no reason.
Newer users struggle the most as it is, intentionally making it worse is a bad plan. The idea is to enjoy honing, not fight with the tools.
A lot of new guys have emailed me about those stones, none of it good.
Every single one of them got rid of those stones and was much happier with what they got to replace them. a bunch of years back someone posted a funny video about the 3k/8k Bearmoo on YT... dude was spot-on. These companies keep changing the names, but it's all the same sort of product.

If you can return them and get the King, I'd recommend going that route in a heartbeat.
If not, then you'll have to work though it.

I worked though a Norton set in the beginning, the N8k was better that what you got in that set but it still wasn't 8k. But the Norton 1k and 4k were the worst. Again, people said I'd be fine because that's what they used. Well, good for them, those stones were terrible. I dumped that set in less than a month.
I honestly didn't have that much of a fight with them other than the soaking and keeping them flat. I didn't have a lot of random grit rolling around but there was some. It was being removed as quickly s it popped up because they were loading and I had to flush swarf. I think they're decent enough to work with or at least mine were. Cheap mass produced Chinese stones are bound to have some variation though. I was happy to replace mine but it lead to a never ending line of stones. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone but if you got them already and the whole thing was $35 it's probably worth a try. If recommend vintage coticules or a pike washita>Dan's to someone getting into honing but I've been told tons of times those are some of the worst stones for newbies. I see thuringians recommended to newbies a lot but I've never been overly impressed with them, never got a "wow..." after shaving. I did earlier tonight from a Schwedenstein, but maybe it was because of low expectations and thuringians are built up to the moon. Que Será, será...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@FairlySlow, I started off learning to hone with lapping films. They are like synthetic whetstones but without the lapping flat requirement. As I started accumulating more SRs, I realised that I needed whetstones to help keep the cost down.

My first set of whetstones were, like yours, budget 400/1k and 3k/8k synthetics. Three years later and a couple of hundred full honing progressions, those same to stones are still the only ones I use for bevel-setting and initial refinement. Sure, those synthetic whetstones need to be lapped flat more often, but I am penny poor time rich.

If you are on a limited budget, I recommend that you move on to lapping films. They should only set you back about US$50. With the whetstones you already have, you only really need 5μm and 1μm and optionally 3μm, although quite often it may be more economical to buy a set of lapping films that include other "grit" sizes.

Likely, that is not pure Chromium Oxide, but a green polishing compound that will polish but leave a harsh shaving edge. Pure Chrome Oxide is inexpensive, (about $10) buy from a known razor supplier or Kremer Pigments.

Once any paste is applied to a strop it can never be completely removed.

Yes, the King 1/6k combo is a way better starter stone set, ($28). Add a good 8 or 10k and your set. Learn on synthetics, then try Natural stones as finishers.

Film works, but stones are cheaper in the long run if you keep honing. 1um is a good finisher, with paper.

@FairlySlow, I started off learning to hone with lapping films. They are like synthetic whetstones but without the lapping flat requirement. As I started accumulating more SRs, I realised that I needed whetstones to help keep the cost down.

My first set of whetstones were, like yours, budget 400/1k and 3k/8k synthetics. Three years later and a couple of hundred full honing progressions, those same to stones are still the only ones I use for bevel-setting and initial refinement. Sure, those synthetic whetstones need to be lapped flat more often, but I am penny poor time rich.

If you are on a limited budget, I recommend that you move on to lapping films. They should only set you back about US$50. With the whetstones you already have, you only really need 5μm and 1μm and optionally 3μm, although quite often it may be more economical to buy a set of lapping films that include other "grit" sizes.
I just may go that way. I wanna find what works for me just cant afford it yet. Also unrelated question. How do i know when im at 50 posts?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you. I feel stupid now😂
Not stupid, just a fool for taking up SR shaving 😄.

Top Bottom